Waaay OT: Proper geek stuff, VHDTool.exe

bails87
bails87 Posts: 12,998
edited November 2012 in Commuting chat
I'm after some real IT help, 'turn it off and on again' won't cut it :wink: (I've done that several times!)

Setting the scene....I've got a NAS, I've got a laptop with Windows 7 on it. It's the version of W7 that won't allow you to use a networked HD as a backup location. But I want to use a networked HD as a backup location!

I found out that you can create a Virtual HD on the NAS and then set the backup location to that, essentially tricking the PC into thinking that the VHD is a local disk. So I tried to do it through Computer Managment->Storage but it was slow, really slow. It has to go through and 'zero' all the bits, so 500GB takes a long time. Probably about 4 days. So then I discovered the VHD Tool which creates the VHD quickly but has some security issues. These don't apply to me as it's just a home NAS and it's new so there's no 'sensitive' data on the disk that will be used for the VHD.

So I try it out. I can create a small test VHD on the c:\ drive. I can use the 'extend' command to extend it on the C:\ drive. But I want to create it on the NAS ("\\QNAP"). If I use the '/create' command (running cmd as an administrator) I get the following error:
cmd2.jpg
It recognises the location and creates the file, but then something goes wrong. If I try to initialise the vhd through computer management it says it's corrupt or damaged.

Any computery types got any ideas what the "system call level is not correct" means and if/how I can fix it?
MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."

Comments

• davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    Ummm just a thought -- does your NAS support iSCSI or similar ('cos that can be treated like a "real" disk)? What model of qnap is it?
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • bails87
    Ah, righto, I'll investigate that then.

And yes it does: http://www.qnap.com/en/index.php?lang=e ... n=3372&g=2
    MTB/CX

• davis
    Cool, assuming your Win7 (not a Windows user so no idea) installation supports it (you'd need to install MS's iSCSI Initiator if I recall) and then present/export/show/whatever an iSCSI LUN to your Windows box, and then hey you've got a NewBigDisk. In the long run I suspect it's the Best (tm) option.
  • alidaf
    alidaf Posts: 147
    Is it a permissions issue? I don't have much experience with Win7 but a system call sounds like it needs to be run with admin privileges.
  • bails87
    alidaf wrote:
    Is it a permissions issue? I don't have much experience with Win7 but a system call sounds like it needs to be run with admin privileges.
    I'm running the command as an admin, so it's not that. I'll double check permissions on the NAS itself though. But I've been creating/editting/deleting files with no problems.
    MTB/CX

• EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    Try typing SYS64738
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • bails87
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    Try typing SYS64738
    Why? :wink:

Is it some secret goatse image hidden in windows?! :lol:
    MTB/CX

• EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    Google it. First result.

Young'uns. Don't know nuffink!
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • bails87
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    Google it. First result.

Young'uns. Don't know nuffink!
    I wasn't even a twinkle in my father's eye when the C64 came out! :lol:
    MTB/CX

• bails87
    davis wrote:
    Cool, assuming your Win7 (not a Windows user so no idea) installation supports it (you'd need to install MS's iSCSI Initiator if I recall) and then present/export/show/whatever an iSCSI LUN to your Windows box, and then hey you've got a NewBigDisk. In the long run I suspect it's the Best (tm) option.
    Thanks a lot! :D

Used the QNAPs iSCSI tool to create a new iSCSI volume, then ran iSCSI initiator (already installed), then initialised the disk through computer management, and the backup is currently running to my new 'M:\' drive.

Much appreciated.
    MTB/CX

• jejv
    jejv Posts: 566
    I thought this was going to be a VHDL question.
  • davis
    bails87 wrote:
    davis wrote:
    Thanks a lot! :D

Used the QNAPs iSCSI tool to create a new iSCSI volume, then ran iSCSI initiator (already installed), then initialised the disk through computer management, and the backup is currently running to my new 'M:\' drive.

Much appreciated.

Cool. No problem -- just restoring the forum karma :-)