Rider down - Shane Sutton (Team GB Coach)

adskis
adskis Posts: 85
edited November 2012 in Commuting chat

Comments

• fossyant
    fossyant Posts: 2,549
    Just seen it.

FFS.

A6 Levenshulme. Really crap road to ride, and I generally avoid as much as possible - I either avoid it completely, or turn off the A6 at Levenshulme station and go for the A34 instead. I've been knocked off in Levenshulme myself, hit and run, broken wrist, and written off bike.

GWS Shane
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,767
    Did MSM take him out after a night on the Pinot G? :wink:
    Being serious for a moment. WTF is going on? Clock change and a bit more general fuckwittery?
  • suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    hmmm French TV covering something in the UK this week. Or did last years British success just annoy the peloton that much.

GWS Shane.
  • Koncordski
    Koncordski Posts: 1,009
    Cyclists are always running red lights, and why don't they stay on the cycle path and keep off the roads that i pay for?

#1 Brompton S2L Raw Lacquer, Leather Mudflaps
    #2 Boeris Italia race steel
    #3 Scott CR1 SL
    #4 Trek 1.1 commuter
    #5 Peugeot Grand Tourer (Tandem)
  • adskis
    adskis Posts: 85
    More info from The Guardian

Police sources said the collision involving Sutton, on his bike, and a Peugeot 206 car took place at about 8.55am near the junction of Stockport Road and Clare Road in Levenshulme. The driver of the Peugeot was not injured. No arrests were made

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2012/no ... s-released
  • petemadoc
    petemadoc Posts: 2,331
    Nice area Levenshulme

Used to live there in my student days

Just looking at that stretch of road on google earth sends shudders down my spine

GWS Mr Sutton
  • zx6man
    zx6man Posts: 1,092
    Koncordski wrote:
    Cyclists are always running red lights, and why don't they stay on the cycle path and keep off the roads that i pay for?

Not the old "VED licence pays for roads issue again" :-)
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    i really wish they'd stop telling us the driver isn't injured. Of course the driver isn't injured. The driver is never injured. Why do they waste their limited allotment of words on such an obvious statement, particularly given it suggests a cycle / car collision is a 50/50 thing whereas inevitably its the cyclist who suffers (and in most cases the driver who is to blame)?
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    from teh sky news feed that runs across our screens at work it sounds like he's in a lot worse state than Wiggins, bleeding on the brain mentioned.

Don't thuink clock changes have anything to do with this one, it would be broad daylight at 8.55am, indeed the clock change has helped that.
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • BigMat wrote:
    i really wish they'd stop telling us the driver isn't injured. Of course the driver isn't injured. The driver is never injured. Why do they waste their limited allotment of words on such an obvious statement, particularly given it suggests a cycle / car collision is a 50/50 thing whereas inevitably its the cyclist who suffers (and in most cases the driver who is to blame)?
    Might've been a convertible. If I somersaulted into one on my commuter bike, I reckon I'd injure the driver quite a lot.

I notice it was a Peugeot. A French car ...
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    Its a conspiracy. David Brailsford, Chris Hoy, Chris Boardman and Chris Froome had better be wary.
    So had Jess Varnish, Laura Trott and Shanaze Reed now that I think about it.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • Hoopdriver
    Hoopdriver Posts: 2,023
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    Its a conspiracy. David Brailsford, Chris Hoy, Chris Boardman and Chris Froome had better be wary.
    So had Jess Varnish, Laura Trott and Shanaze Reed now that I think about it.
    Yeah, but Wiggins was clipped by a Vauxhall
  • merkin
    merkin Posts: 452
    Wiggins was clipped by a vauxhall driven by a woman called Amélie De'gaulle.
  • merkin
    merkin Posts: 452
    Ok I made that up.
  • fossyant
    fossyant Posts: 2,549
    Adskis wrote:
    More info from The Guardian

Police sources said the collision involving Sutton, on his bike, and a Peugeot 206 car took place at about 8.55am near the junction of Stockport Road and Clare Road in Levenshulme.

Know that area well - it's crap - just as the 'parking areas' start. I pass their fairly regular when I've got to be in Manchester, and I turn off about half a mile further on at Albert Road. The section after there is a mare also.

It's better in the morning before the shops open, but not great !