Shane Sutton in A6 crash

dortmunder
dortmunder Posts: 101
edited November 2012 in Pro race
Shane Sutton has bleeding on the brain according to report on BBC. Seems he was in a crash on the A6

edited to show the correct scene of the accident!!

Comments

• He's made of granite, but bleeding from brain...worrying to say the least.
  • I think it was the A6 rather than the M6?
  • Remember that you are an Englishman and thus have won first prize in the lottery of life.
  • nweststeyn
    nweststeyn Posts: 1,574
    This is a lot more worrying than Brads... hope he is alright!
  • "Cycling is not an intrinsically dangerous activity"

I can see it now... "Oh, oh... we need a press release, we'd better not say that cycling is dangerous since that might discourage people from taking it up".

Of course it's dangerous you silly moo. There's a lot that can be done to mitigate the danger, but that statement is just daft.
    Is the gorilla tired yet?
  • Two, high profile road "incidents inside 24 hours.
    Shocked.
    I know someone, close to home, will be very upset.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • sonny73
    sonny73 Posts: 2,203
    Not good, man I hope Sutton is going to be OK, sounds nasty. Heal quick that man.
  • TommyB61
    TommyB61 Posts: 103
    Sonny73 wrote:
    Not good, man I hope Sutton is going to be OK, sounds nasty. Heal quick that man.

+1. Not a good day, all in all.
  • mroli
    mroli Posts: 3,622
    Of course it's dangerous you silly moo. There's a lot that can be done to mitigate the danger, but that statement is just daft.
    Part of Sky's mission is to get more ordinary people cycling. I can see why they would want to try and ensure that message is not lost due to 2 accidents to high profile members of the team. So maybe not a silly moo.
  • mroli wrote:
    Part of Sky's mission is to get more ordinary people cycling. I can see why they would want to try and ensure that message is not lost due to 2 accidents to high profile members of the team. So maybe not a silly moo.
    Sure, I do take the point. It just seems a bit patronising, given that anyone with half a brain cell will know that mixing up bikes in the same space as 1-2 ton death machines very much is intrinsically dangerous.

I suppose they could argue that it's not the cycling itself that's inherently dangerous, it's the crashing. :)
  • graeme_s-2
    graeme_s-2 Posts: 3,382
    It depends how dangerous something has to be before you feel it should be described as "dangerous". Personally I don't feel cycling is dangerous. Given the number of injuries and deaths caused every year you could make a fairly strong argument that driving is dangerous, just it's dangerous to people other than the driver.
  • phreak
    phreak Posts: 2,941
    Bleeding on the brain is not good at all. Hope he makes a full recovery.
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    "Cycling is not an intrinsically dangerous activity"

I can see it now... "Oh, oh... we need a press release, we'd better not say that cycling is dangerous since that might discourage people from taking it up".

Cycling dangerous? You have got to be having a laugh, surely.

Now you can MAKE it dangerous - downhilling at 60mph over tree stumps, performing double backflips, riding down a lorry-laden A-road at night with no lights, but no way is the activity of cycling intrinsically dangerous - which is the point Sky are making.

It's all relative of course - some people regard activities as extreme that others think are common.
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • MrTapir
    MrTapir Posts: 1,206
    Statistics-wise, cycling is about as dangerous as being a pedestrian (Chris Boardman said this on BBC breakfast news).

However let this not detract from Mr Sutton's situation, which sounds serious and I hope he recovers well.
  • meagain
    meagain Posts: 2,331
    "Statistics-wise, cycling is about as dangerous as being a pedestrian "

Bloody dangerous, then! And will remain so as long as the penalties for committing GBH with a car etc are derisory.
    d.j.
    "Cancel my subscription to the resurrection."
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    meagain wrote:
    "Statistics-wise, cycling is about as dangerous as being a pedestrian "

Bloody dangerous, then! And will remain so as long as the penalties for committing GBH with a car etc are derisory.
    Being a pedestrian "bloody dangerous" ? :? Where do you live?
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • hipshot wrote:

The comments suggest Telegraph readers generally believe it's all cyclists' fault. Whatever happened to blaming Wiggle?
  • graeme_s-2
    graeme_s-2 Posts: 3,382
    MrTapir wrote:
    Statistics-wise, cycling is about as dangerous as being a pedestrian (Chris Boardman said this on BBC breakfast news).
    My understanding is it's differently dangerous.

If you walk a mile you're more likely to get hit by car than if you cycle a mile.
    If you cycle for 20 minutes you're more likely to get hit by a car than if you walk for 20 minutes.
  • meagain
    meagain Posts: 2,331
    DoT not famous for emphasising dangers to road users OTHER than drivers, yet latest (1 November) report clear enough:

"1.
    Trends by road user type and road type

In general, there have been year-on-year increases in deaths and serious injuries of vulnerable road users (i.e. those who are not occupants of cars or other vehicles). Comparing the year ending June 2012 with the year ending June 2011, deaths and serious injuries rose by 5 per cent for pedestrians, 9 per cent for pedal cyclists and 5 per cent for motorcyclists.

Conversely, deaths and serious injuries of less vulnerable road users (occupants of cars and other vehicles) fell by 5 per cent in the year ending June 2012, compared with the previous 12 months."

Inevitable as cycling increases and pedestrian population ages. Surprise, surprise, car users are "less vulnerable".
    d.j.
    "Cancel my subscription to the resurrection."
  • on R5 Live: DB tells the Drive prog that Sutto's dazed but OK and probably owes his life to his helmet
  • BR 1979
    BR 1979 Posts: 296
    on R5 Live: DB tells the Drive prog that Sutto's dazed but OK and probably owes his life to his helmet
    That's fortunate.

Every photo / video clip I've seen of him cycling he's not wearing one (as is his right and choice, etc..).
  • BR 1979 wrote:
    on R5 Live: DB tells the Drive prog that Sutto's dazed but OK and probably owes his life to his helmet
    That's fortunate.

Every photo / video clip I've seen of him cycling he's not wearing one (as is his right and choice, etc..).

Good job he was today innit
  • MrTapir
    MrTapir Posts: 1,206
    Graeme_S wrote:
    MrTapir wrote:
    My understanding is it's differently dangerous.

If you walk a mile you're more likely to get hit by car than if you cycle a mile.
    If you cycle for 20 minutes you're more likely to get hit by a car than if you walk for 20 minutes.

Yes you are probably correct. I suppose the weighting of journeys in pedestrians is towards the short end isnt it, and cycling is a bit longer journey in general. You could dig as deep as you want I suppose to properly look at the stats
  • jscl
    jscl Posts: 1,015
    BR 1979 wrote:
    That's fortunate.

As someone who regularly sees and greets him arriving at 'work', usually on his sky dogma, he ALWAYS wears a helmet on his commute. Not too sure what pictures/videos you've been looking at.
    Follow me on Twitter - http://twitter.com/scalesjason - All posts are strictly my personal view.
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    Brian Smith has just tweeted that he's had a text from Shane saying he's ok...
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • Daz555 wrote:
    Cycling dangerous? You have got to be having a laugh, surely.
    No, not at all. Obviously the act of cycling along a road with no junctions and no traffic isn't intrinsically dangerous, assuming normal coordination skills. But you don't have to be cycling very fast along a road not to be able to avoid a SMIDSY pulling out of a side road.

And cyclists are very vulnerable.

Taken together, an admittedly lowish risk of it happening, but the very serious consequence if it does, especially to an old fart like me that won't heal as quickly as someone younger, is enough to put it into the 'dangerous' category. Not dangerous enough to stop me doing it. But being a careful cyclist does seem a lot more dangerous than being a careful pedestrian.

For me it's about risks that I can and can't control. I can choose not to go out in icy conditions - that's a risk within my control. I can also look behind as I approach a side turning, and if there's nothing behind me then I'll be able to swerve if someone doesn't stop in time. That gives me some control of the risk too.

But if there is something behind, I won't be able to do that, or stop in time. It amounts to a risk that is very hard to control (except by cycling very slowly, which brings its own risks), so effectively it's out of my control. To me that's scary.
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,793
    it's the one from behind that gets you
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • Great description of Sutto in Wiggo's new book. You can totally see why and how he means so much to Wiggo and Hoy and the guys (tho he'll never be on Pendleton's Christmas card list). Hard as fark, if you get on his wrong side you've got an enemy for life, but if you're on his right side he'll take a bullet for you.
  • Great description of Sutto in Wiggo's new book. You can totally see why and how he means so much to Wiggo and Hoy and the guys (tho he'll never be on Pendleton's Christmas card list). Hard as fark, if you get on his wrong side you've got an enemy for life, but if you're on his right side he'll take a bullet for you.

That's so true. Top bloke.