fork pressure.

loftyborofan
loftyborofan Posts: 21
edited November 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
i have r seven forks on my maxlight, and love it, but what pressure sould i be running as i dont seem to be using the full travel.

i am 6 foot 5 17 stone and got 180 psi, in lock out its first class, unlocked works well, but the band never seems to be closer than 2 inch from the forks shoulds.

i generally do XC and fairly rough XC dalby red and black routes hamsterly, stainburn to name a few.

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    What sag are you running? How did you arrive at 180psi?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    i have r seven forks on my maxlight, and love it, but what pressure sould i be running as i dont seem to be using the full travel.

i am 6 foot 5 17 stone and got 180 psi, in lock out its first class, unlocked works well, but the band never seems to be closer than 2 inch from the forks shoulds.

i generally do XC and fairly rough XC dalby red and black routes hamsterly, stainburn to name a few.
    if you are not getting full travel then you have too much air pressure try reducing it a bit.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • What sag are you running? How did you arrive at 180psi?

bit of a guess,as a friend who is lighter runs 160 psi, and when i ride his bike i bottom out on the fork, is it just trial and error.

Thank you for your help...
  • nicklouse
    What sag are you running? How did you arrive at 180psi?

bit of a guess,as a friend who is lighter runs 160 psi, and when i ride his bike i bottom out on the fork, is it just trial and error.

Thank you for your help...
    is it the same bike? same size? and same fork? if you cant say yes to all these then what pressure he has in his fork has Zeor relationship to Ypo and your bike.

set your sag to what is suitable for your bike (R7 is XC) so 20-25% and then tune the pressure to suit. Like I said before if you are not bottoming out once in a while the fork has too much air in it. let a little out.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • SAG?

please explain,
  • nicklouse
    have you read the manual that should have been provided with the bike?
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    SAG?

please explain,
    All here
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • will sort it tonight....