what part breaks

loftyborofan
loftyborofan Posts: 21
edited November 2012 in MTB beginners
when you buckle a wheel

Comments

• If you brake a spoke, that buckles the wheel.

Any rim that it not perfectly round when not under any spoke tension is broken, it is just 'fixed' by the tension added to the spokes to make it perfectly round.
  • so as the rim looks to be wobbling, yet the disc runs true and straight you reckon its a spoke or two.....
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    What are you asking?

Your disc is not related to the wheel. If a wheel is buckled it's because a force has distorted the rim, either through damage to the spokes, or directly to the rim, but beyond what the spokes can cope with.

Even the most horrifically buckled wheel will have a completely true disc rotor unless something has happened to that as well, this is unrelated.

If you have a buckled wheel you need to get it trued by tightening or loosing spokes as appropriate, you can either watch videos and have a go yourself, if you're not mechanically minded or it's a major buckle this is likely not that sensible...
  • warpcow
    warpcow Posts: 1,448
    A slight wobble in a wheel can also just be caused be the tyre. It might not be seated properly, or may simply be poorly moulded. More than a couple of mm's though and it's likely to be a problem with spoke tension or the rim itself.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    when you buckle a wheel
    often nothing.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • i assumed now knowing wrongly that the disc was mounted to the wheel therefore expected it to wobble with the wheel, thank you for your help, i will have a ago myself....

if that does not work i will take it to a shop but worth a crack

yours chaps.