moving from 24 to 20 speed

HardRockJonty
HardRockJonty Posts: 6
edited November 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
hi

Im looking at upgrading bike, the current chainset is a 3 ring 22/32/42 with an 8 speed cassette - 11 - 32

The new bike has a 42x27T chainset and a 10 speed 11-36

On paper my lowest gearing on the new bike is not as low as the old bike - do you think Ill notice the difference??

Thanks

Comments

• Depends how sensitive you are and what hills you meet.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Do you use the lowest gear you have available now? If not you can't miss it!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Yes, you will.
    Whether it's a problem is a different question.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Chaps

Thanks - youre right.

I use the granny ring now (possibly due to the bike being poor fit) - nothing at all of course to do with my lack of leg power or cardio endurance!!

So losing the lowest ratio gears is going to take the fun out of going up hill.....

Looking at other 20 speeders, the 42/27 is an odd combo with the 11-36....I understand a "normal" is 24/36....

Its kind of helped me decide which bike to go for.....

Ta
  • You're basing your bike buying decsion on gear ratios?

Just factor in about £60 if you choose that bike to fit new cranks.
  • grenw
    grenw Posts: 804
    All you will lose in effect will be the very lowest single gear - smallest ring up front/largest out back. Your new lowest gear will be similar to using the second biggest ring out back.

Will you really miss the one gear that often?
  • Gear ratios not the only consideration... I was pondering this over lunch and wondered what the real world impact would be...

Yep I use the lowest gear now, but infrequently. Just like to have it there I guess.

I'm going from an old hardtail with poor suspension to a shortlist of a Boardman FS team (the 2x10) or a 26er Specialized cambr comp (2012 model). comparing specs on paper trying to make a choice not having ridden either yet...