VCDL interview with Brian Smith-Must Listen!

ddraver
ddraver Posts: 26,661
edited November 2012 in Pro race
Morning all

The veloclub DL guys have an interview with Brian Smith (currentlky manager of the Endura Team, ex Motorola rider and others)

Pt 1 gives some background to the birth of the Endura Team and the Cervelo Test Team, and also some stuff on JTL. Pt 2 is the MUST LISTEN bit where he talks about doping during his Pro Years and his opinions on those that took the road he did not. Warning, any sympathy for the Landis's and Hamilton's will markedly decrease!

http://veloclubdonlogan.co.uk/category/podcast/

If you don't already, listen to the main pod, it's a good un!
We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
- @ddraver

Comments

• ddraver wrote:
    Morning all

The veloclub DL guys have an interview with Brian Smith (currentlky manager of the Endura Team, ex Motorola rider and others)

Pt 1 gives some background to the birth of the Endura Team and the Cervelo Test Team, and also some stuff on JTL. Pt 2 is the MUST LISTEN bit where he talks about doping during his Pro Years and his opinions on those that took the road he did not. Warning, any sympathy for the Landis's and Hamilton's will markedly decrease!

Have to say that i've had zero sympathy for Landis and Hamilton from day 1
  • ddraver wrote:
    Morning all

I was going to say, people still have sympathy for Landis and Hamilton? :|

Also ddraver - In your intro to Brian you forgot to mention 'commentator' and 'forum member'. :wink:
  • ddraver wrote:
    Morning all

I was going to say, people still have sympathy for Landis and Hamilton? :|

Also ddraver - In your intro to Brian you forgot to mention 'commentator' and 'forum member'. :wink:

And "Johnstone Wheeler"
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    They re still heros to the Twitter Taliban...but that's not the point, listen to the interview!
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Roscobob
    Roscobob Posts: 344
    I have sympathy for Landis, Hamilton et al.

It's not a black and white case, for me. I have more sympathy for people Brian Smith who had the courage to follow the path he did but a lot of others probably wouldn't have searched out doping products - they were put in a position of feeling that they had to. Not as strong as Brian but they still deserve some sympathy IMO.
  • Roscobob wrote:
    I have sympathy for Landis, Hamilton et al.

It's not a black and white case, for me. I have more sympathy for people Brian Smith who had the courage to follow the path he did but a lot of others probably wouldn't have searched out doping products - they were put in a position of feeling that they had to. Not as strong as Brian but they still deserve some sympathy IMO.

They all had choices. All of them. And to go and lie for 6-7 years in Hamilton's case, 4 in Landis's case, and be the subject of those fund raising campaigns to fight their bans...Good that they finally coughed up the truth, but nah, no .
  • Glad that's all cleared up then, Brian gives an interview saying he never doped, that must mean he never doped.

Where have I heard interviews like that before?

There's very few from that era that I would trust.

It's taking people's word that has got cycling into the state it is in at the moment. Unfortunately their word doesn't cut it any longer.