Mud Guards for Hybrid Bike

edgavin
edgavin Posts: 10
edited November 2012 in Commuting chat
Hi,
First post so be gentle!
I have Giant Roam XR3 Disc – 2011 hybrid bike. I am after a set of mudguards as I don’t want to get wet with spray on my commute to work.
The problem is that the bike has disc brakes and not V-brakes meaning there is no way of fitting a mudguard to the rear of the frame.
I have attached a picture to show this.
The front shouldn’t have a problem fitting a guard as there seems to be a small hole in the frame to accommodate a mud guard.

Not sure if I want a mud guard that attaches to the seat post (like Crudcatcher or similar) as a friend had one on his mountain bike and it didn't stop all the spray!
Could you recommend a set of mudguards, preferable black, for my bike?
I hope you can help! :)
Thanks

Comments

• is that an eyelet on the underside of the seat stay? (the little black bump) between the "fork".
    Canyon Roadlite
    Boardman Hybrid
    Dolan FXE
  • I think so! it's got a plastic protector there at the moment (the same as further up the seat stay).
  • You should be able to fit some full sks guards like the ones linked below, so long as you have an eyelet down by the bottom bracket too? (I'm assuming there are also eyelets near the drop-outs?)

You'll need to make a little L-shaped bracket to fix the mounting bridge to under the seat stay, but it won't be seen and should be pretty simple to do if you have a bit of metal, a hack saw, drill and file.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/sks-chromoplastic-road-mudguard-set/

I've got a set of these on my disc-braked commuter and they fit like a glove. (my caliper is mounted between the seat stay and chain stay)
    Canyon Roadlite
    Boardman Hybrid
    Dolan FXE
  • thanks for the link but I don't think they will work that well as my tyres are 700c x 32.

Thanks anyway
    Cheers
  • The 28-38 size is made for 700c-28 to 38 tyres.

But anyway, hope you find a solution.
    Canyon Roadlite
    Boardman Hybrid
    Dolan FXE
  • For some reason my reply was not meant for this post...Strange!
    Anyway... I think your solution will work, I'm going to have a closer look at the weekend.
    Thanks for your advise, I'll let you know the outcome!
  • Dellsinho wrote:
    You should be able to fit some full sks guards like the ones linked below, so long as you have an eyelet down by the bottom bracket too? (I'm assuming there are also eyelets near the drop-outs?)

You'll need to make a little L-shaped bracket to fix the mounting bridge to under the seat stay, but it won't be seen and should be pretty simple to do if you have a bit of metal, a hack saw, drill and file.

+1 on the sks chromoplastics, they are the business. You may be able to simply drill a hole through the middle of the guard and bolt it directly up onto the eyelet underneath that "fork". You'll just need a couple of big washer to reduce the strain on the guard and possible a few spacers and longer bolt if you want it to sit a bit closer to the tyre.