rear brake swap

pesky_jones
pesky_jones Posts: 2,890
edited November 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
My avid juicy 3 rear brake is broke and i don't know why - the piston just doesn't move at all and its started leaking somewhere :? I've taken it to the LBS and he doesn't know why its broke either. I had a ride this weekend and preferably would like to still go. I've got a spare set of Tektro HDC 300 hyrdrualic brakes and wondered if i could simply swap them over temporarily? The bike is a orange patriot 7+. I think the issue would be hose lengths, but will the difference in lengths hugely matter? cheers

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    well if it is not long enough then you have issues. you may need to bleed if the routing in through the swing arm.

have fun.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • pesky_jones
    cheers.

what do you mean by?
    nicklouse wrote:
    you may need to bleed if the routing in through the swing arm

yeah ive got to route through the swingarm which is gunna be a B****, anyone got any suggestions?
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Tie a bit of string or something around the old hose before you pull it out, then use that to route the new hose. Then bleed.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    MTB_TR wrote:
    cheers.

what do you mean by?
    nicklouse wrote:

yeah ive got to route through the swingarm which is gunna be a B****, anyone got any suggestions?
    remove old caliper.

insert an old gear wire up the hose. remove hose. thread new hose over the wire. fit caliper and bleed.
    dont to this and have some serious fun later on.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • pesky_jones
    nicklouse wrote:
    MTB_TR wrote:
    cheers.

what do you mean by?
    nicklouse wrote:

remove old caliper.

insert an old gear wire up the hose. remove hose. thread new hose over the wire. fit caliper and bleed.
    dont to this and have some serious fun later on.

cheers that really helped gods know what i would of done if i had already pulled the old hose out!