Headset Headache

tjendtyme
tjendtyme Posts: 6
edited November 2012 in MTB buying advice
I am looking to upgrade my current headset, however I have no technical knowledge when it comes to this type of thing. The headset that is currently installed is an FSA TH No.10 semi integrated job, I am looking to upgrade to one of the Nukeproof Warhead headsets, but unsure of which specific type to order! I have done a lot of reading online and this has just led to more confusion. Any help would be appreciated!

Comments

• RevellRider
    RevellRider Posts: 1,794
    What frame and what fork do you have? Is it a standard fork and what year is your bike
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    tjendtyme wrote:
    I am looking to upgrade my current headset, however I have no technical knowledge when it comes to this type of thing. The headset that is currently installed is an FSA TH No.10 semi integrated job, I am looking to upgrade to one of the Nukeproof Warhead headsets, but unsure of which specific type to order! I have done a lot of reading online and this has just led to more confusion. Any help would be appreciated!
    you have a semi integrated/internal/Zerostack headset. or a headset with internal cups. ll the info is on Parktools.
    you do have the tools to remove and fit the headsets?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Upgrading a headset, sorry doesn't compute to me.
  • Hey folks, the bike is a Kona Cinder Cone 2012 with the stock RockShox Recon silver fork, no I dont have the tools, ws going to order the Nukeproof headset from CRC and get my LBS to fit said headset...basically want the Nukeproof Warhead specifically as I had one on my old bike and it was rock solid whereas this FSA one has gone pretty swift. Cheers!
  • Gone where?
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    A Warhead will weigh about as much as the bike.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Many thanks RevellRider, that was the kind of response I was looking for instead of the ridiculously daft and inane crap that preceded your comment, so thank you.
  • tjendtyme wrote:
    Many thanks RevellRider, that was the kind of response I was looking for instead of the ridiculously daft and inane crap that preceded your comment, so thank you.

Good point :wink:

Scott Genius MC 30 RIP
    Nukeproof Mega AM 275 Comp
    Cube LTD Rigid Commuter
    Ribble 7005 Sportive
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    The point people are trying to make is that often people coming to buying advice don't really know what they are asking, so the best advice comes from clarifying what they really want (rather than think they want) first.
    1/ Why do you consider the warhead an 'upgrade'.
    2/ Why change, has your headset really failed or is it just maladjusted (quite possible given the questions your asking and that you don't feel confident changing it yourself).
    3/ The Warhead isn't the logical choice for a Cindercone even if you do need and want a new headset

The FSA on my commuter is 6 years old, externally rusty, came out of a used bike that looked like it had been stored in a ditch and yet is as smooth as silk.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    tjendtyme wrote:
    Many thanks RevellRider, that was the kind of response I was looking for instead of the ridiculously daft and inane crap that preceded your comment, so thank you.
    be aware that there is a very good chance that that Warhead headset will not work with your frame as the insetion depth required is greater than the standard for a waisted headtube.

see the step in the frame in this picture. that is normally 12mm I hope your frame does not have the same depth of cut out.

headtype09.jpg
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown