Explosion whilst fettling

FJJ
FJJ Posts: 43
edited November 2012 in Commuting chat
I realised that my rear tyre that I fitted the other day was on the wrong way round (i.e. rotating the wrong way) :oops: so I decided to fix the problem...

Off with the tyre (Vittoria Radonneur Cross Pro Folding) which was simple, swapped it round then spent the usual 10 minutes wrestling it on to the rim - these tyres are a nightmare to fit... Pumped it up to ~56psi with the track pump then set about putting the wheel back on the bike.

Whilst leaning over the wheel tightening up the QR the thing exploded! :shock: Had ringing in my ears and was pretty damn close to requiring new underwear.... Looks like the bead rolled off the rim and the inner tube had a long slash down it - has this happened to anyone else???

Put a new tube in and it seems fine now!

Comments

• majormantra
    majormantra Posts: 2,094
    You trapped a bit of tube with the tyre, it's easy enough to do, especially with tight beaded tyres. To avoid a repeat, put a little air in the tube once it's on, and then go around both sides if the wheel pulling back the bead to make sure the tube is all the way inside and not in danger of being trapped.

The other possibility is that the bead simply wasn't fully seated, but that's harder to miss.
  • Done this a couple of times. Including while out on a ride using CO2. It genuinely sounds like a gun shot.
  • Big_Paul
    Big_Paul Posts: 277
    Happened to me twice, once in my lock up, where it scared the crap out of me, or once in my living room where my three cats nearly went into orbit. Inflating the tube a wee bit so it holds its shape is the key. :)
    Disc Trucker
    Kona Ute
    Rockrider 8.1
    Evil Resident
    Day 01 Disc
    Viking Derwent Tandem
    Planet X London Road
  • Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    Happened to me with a Gatorskin after fitting a new tube.
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • FJJ
    FJJ Posts: 43
    Fortunately I was in the garage, so the cats were safe... :-)
  • You trapped a bit of tube with the tyre, it's easy enough to do, especially with tight beaded tyres. To avoid a repeat, put a little air in the tube once it's on, and then go around both sides if the wheel pulling back the bead to make sure the tube is all the way inside and not in danger of being trapped.

The other possibility is that the bead simply wasn't fully seated, but that's harder to miss.
    This. I have destroyed a few innertubes, eardrums and my own inner-peace by failing on this simple check.
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    Yep, I've done that before... A while back I had some very loose tyres that you could literally pull off the rim (when deflated) without tyre levers... All very convenient but it was very easy to trap the tube when repairing a puncture....
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • I blew a 630x32 off my rear wheel at about 100 psi a few months back. I was over-inflating it to get the bead to sit properly, but it was an old un-hooked rim and so not designed to go above about 65psi. The noise from that was truly apocalyptic and it bent the rim as it came off! I was forced to build up a new one on a nice campag hub :D