The Greeks are revolting!

SimonAH
SimonAH Posts: 3,730
edited November 2012 in Commuting chat
Ugly scenes today.

If they can't push through the austerity measures then no bailout. Return of the drachma?
FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

Comments

• chilling
    chilling Posts: 267
    Or even better...

*adopts Mark Morrison pose

"Return of the Mark
    Once again, return of the Mark
    Top of the world, return of the Mark
    Watch my flow, you know that I'll be back
    Here I go"
  • Hoopdriver
    Hoopdriver Posts: 2,023
    Yes, aren't they...
  • Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    Hopefully they can follow Iceland's example and assume a path that doesn't saddle the populace with the debts of a handful of unscrupulous bankers. Scotland is likely to take this path when it gains independence.
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Oh i have a few Drachma from years ago.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • 100,000 Greeks outside parliament demanding politicians leave:

proxy.jpg?t=FQQVBBgpaHR0cHM6Ly90d2l0cGljLmNvbS9zaG93L2xhcmdlL2JiNWY3Ny5qcGcUAhYAEgA&s=k4WIxTiPB1SNC_UjV8zuNjLYNmb5kmGOmTSEJjqLXkg
    "That's it! You people have stood in my way long enough. I'm going to clown college! " - Homer
  • jamesco
    jamesco Posts: 687
    Hopefully they can follow Iceland's example and assume a path that doesn't saddle the populace with the debts of a handful of unscrupulous bankers. Scotland is likely to take this path when it gains independence.
    That ordinary people are suffering miserably is, of course, horrible, but Greeks would get more sympathy if they made some attempt to address tax-evasion. The trial of Costas Vaxevanis, who published a list of Greeks with Swiss bank accounts is kafkaesque; the Greek treasury was handed the list 2 years ago, managed to 'lose' it and never got around to asking for another copy. Yet somehow Vaxevanis is the one being tried for bringing evasion to light?

I don't buy the equivalence between Iceland and Greece; Iceland's economy was wrecked by private bankers, that of Greece by the politicians the people elected in a system of bribery. Austerity is not the solution, but the Greeks have got to start healing themselves otherwise a bailout will be seen as throwing good money after bad. Getting rid of the neo-nazi thugs inside and outside parliament would be a start.
  • hopefully they are not all spartans !
    Enigma Esprit Di2 - Go tI ! Summer !
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    ..........Scotland is likely to take this path when it gains independence.
    You know the result of the vote?
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • FoldingJoe
    FoldingJoe Posts: 1,327
    100,000 Greeks outside parliament demanding politicians leave:

proxy.jpg?t=FQQVBBgpaHR0cHM6Ly90d2l0cGljLmNvbS9zaG93L2xhcmdlL2JiNWY3Ny5qcGcUAhYAEgA&s=k4WIxTiPB1SNC_UjV8zuNjLYNmb5kmGOmTSEJjqLXkg

Sure that picture is taken from the hotel I stay in when visiting our client in Athens.
    Little boy to Obama: "My Dad says that you read all our emails"
    Obama to little boy: "He's not your real Dad"

Kona Honky Tonk for sale: http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40090&t=13000807
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    the french are pretty 'orrible aswell
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    FoldingJoe wrote:
    100,000 Greeks outside parliament demanding politicians leave:

Sure that picture is taken from the hotel I stay in when visiting our client in Athens.

Good luck with getting their invoices paid :D
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • LeePaton
    LeePaton Posts: 353
    daviesee wrote:
    ..........Scotland is likely to take this path when it gains independence.
    You know the result of the vote?

Seriously hope not, Long live the union.

Greece is buggered. So corrupt is sickening, until they sort that it will remain that way.
    It's not so much about winning, I just hate losing.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I agree, we have a Greek at work, he loves his country but can't abide the laziness while tax evasion is seen as morally legitemate....

The austerity looks tough but it will still leave them with a budget deficit, but the medicine is much worse than the illness if they do default, after all they will then HAVE to balance their budget as no-one would lend them anything, it took Argentina over 10 years to recover from defaulting.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • TheStone
    TheStone Posts: 2,291
    In fairness to Germany, they're doing as much as they should.
    "Look, here's some money to keep you going, but start sorting yourselves out"

The Greeks (and many Western countries) don't seem to have worked out where the problems are. They're trying to bring down their government, because they want a bigger one!
    exercise.png