2010 Specialized Rockhopper SL 26er: What Fork

bigmitch41
bigmitch41 Posts: 685
edited November 2012 in MTB beginners
Hi Guys, Another noob question related to forks. Here go's, Ive recently bought the Rockhopper second hand, She looks like new & had an easy life up to now. I want to upgrade the Rockshox Dart3's and looking to spend £2-£300 on a new set. Nothing too beefed up as I wont be doing any big drops/jumps etc
The forks are 80/100mm with a 1-1/8 headset. Anyone had any experience, what can you recomend please.

Heres a link to the specs

http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bikes/ ... ersl#specs

Cheers
Paracyclist
@Bigmitch_racing
2010 Specialized Tricross (commuter)
2014 Whyte T129-S
2016 Specialized Tarmac Ultegra Di2
Big Mitch - YouTube

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Have a look at the Rockshox Reba RL/RLT.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    +1!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Thanks Supersonic, been looking at those, also the Sektor Solo Air RL are within budget.
    Any thoughts on Air vs Coil spring btw, any particular advantage or is it a personal prefernce thing :? ?

Cheers
    Paracyclist
    @Bigmitch_racing
    2014 Whyte T129-S
    Big Mitch - YouTube
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Air is more easily adjustable and lighter and would be my choice anytime.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Thanks Cooldad, sounds like air is the way to go then...
    Paracyclist
    @Bigmitch_racing
    2014 Whyte T129-S
    Big Mitch - YouTube
  • tudj
    tudj Posts: 254
    I recently replaced my Dart 3 with a set of Rockshox Recon Silver TK 100mm and the difference is huge, I actually have usable travel now :D

You mention the Sektor, those are 140-150mm travel arent they? You want to make sure your frame can handle that if it was designed for 100mm forks.
  • Yep your right tudj 150mm. And the Reba's have a tapered steerer, unless they do both?

Recon's looking good...
    Paracyclist
    @Bigmitch_racing
    2014 Whyte T129-S
    Big Mitch - YouTube
  • chez_m356
    chez_m356 Posts: 1,893
    BigMitch41 wrote:
    Yep your right tudj 150mm. And the Reba's have a tapered steerer, unless they do both?

Recon's looking good...
    plenty of reba's about if you look, for instance http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2012-RockShox ... 4169d5fae1 , no doubt others will be able to show you more links
    Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc 10- CANYON Nerve AM 6 2011
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    Personally I would get these http://www.merlincycles.com/bike-shop/f ... forks.html in the 120mm Travel - 15mm Axle - White - Poploc option, and then try and find a cheapo 15mm front wheel to match.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • benpinnick
    If you did go for those (and they are great value) I would opt for the 120mm option.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • supersonic
    Only thing though is they are in the 'not quite perfect' section, hmmm. I'd call them about warranty and stuff.
  • benpinnick
    They are OE, so I am guessing off a bike. Should be ok nick but what about steerer length too?
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • Mmm just starting to think about steerer length, I need to match the length of the standard steerer length to those on the new ones, assuming Id have to cut down to size. And my Rockhopper is all black, id like to keep the theme going, wouldnt it be wrong to fit white forks to a black frame lol..
    Paracyclist
    @Bigmitch_racing
    2014 Whyte T129-S
    Big Mitch - YouTube
  • benpinnick
    Someone might be able to assist in whats better about a reba than these... http://www.merlincycles.com/bike-shop/f ... -2012.html but if its 'not much' then I'd be tempted to get these for 200, and use the 100 you saved to get a new front wheel to suit.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • mac_man
    mac_man Posts: 918
    Love the Rebas on my 08 Rockhopper. So +1 from me.
    Cool, retro and sometimes downright rude MTB and cycling themed T shirts. Just MTFU.

By day: http://www.mtfu.co.uk
  • supersonic
    benpinnick wrote:
    Someone might be able to assist in whats better about a reba than these... http://www.merlincycles.com/bike-shop/f ... -2012.html but if its 'not much' then I'd be tempted to get these for 200, and use the 100 you saved to get a new front wheel to suit.

Good fork, but newer Rebas (2012 onwards) are 250g lighter. 2012 is Dual Air too.
  • mcnultycop
    mcnultycop Posts: 2,143
    I went from Darts to Reba RL Dual Airs and the difference is ridiculous.
  • Guys, What exactly will I need to swop the forks over, apart from cutting the stem to size? Will they drop straight in, will I need a new star fangled nut etc..
    Paracyclist
    @Bigmitch_racing
    2014 Whyte T129-S
    Big Mitch - YouTube
  • benpinnick
    You need a new Sfn, and to swap the crown race from your old forks
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • :D Thanks guys, I've gone for the Reba RLT 2013 Solo air Rockshox in Black through Merlin, with the 10% discount these came in at £315 delivered plus another £3 for a sfn, should get them in a few days, can't wait to test them out now! 8)
    Paracyclist
    @Bigmitch_racing
    2014 Whyte T129-S
    Big Mitch - YouTube
  • Reba's landed yesterday, looking good so far! Dropped out the old Dart 3's and was amazed at the weight difference straight away, took measurements of the steer tube and will be setting too with a blade tonight before re-mounting and fixing up the sag etc on the new air fork. No doubt more Q's to follow on!
    Paracyclist
    @Bigmitch_racing
    2014 Whyte T129-S
    Big Mitch - YouTube
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Sometimes a good idea to leave the steerer tube a bit longer - gives you options with bar height - you can put a spacer or two on top.
    You can always chop it down again later if you want but you can't add to it.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • chez_m356
    chez_m356 Posts: 1,893
    cooldad wrote:
    Sometimes a good idea to leave the steerer tube a bit longer - gives you options with bar height - you can put a spacer or two on top.
    You can always chop it down again later if you want but you can't add to it.
    one of the best pieces of advice you will ever get
    Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc 10- CANYON Nerve AM 6 2011
  • Great advice thanks Cooldad, So I can add another 20/30mm, add some spacers to give extra adjustment, thank god I didnt set to with the blade last night...
    Paracyclist
    @Bigmitch_racing
    2014 Whyte T129-S
    Big Mitch - YouTube
  • BigMitch41 wrote:
    Great advice thanks Cooldad, So I can add another 20/30mm, add some spacers to give extra adjustment, thank god I didnt set to with the blade last night...

Also - if you want or have to change frame at some point leaving extra length on the steerer will give you more options.

2012 (dual air) Reba RL on my '06 'hopper - best upgrade I've put on the bike
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • Gave the forks a test run today with some pretty tough rocky rutted trails, loose mud and wet rocks, my old setup wouldnt of stood a chance, but the Reba's handled really well, well chuffed! Going to experiment some more with air pressure but I think were in the ball park. Thanks everybody for the hints, tips and advice! Can't wait for the next run out! :D
    Paracyclist
    @Bigmitch_racing
    2014 Whyte T129-S
    Big Mitch - YouTube