Shoes for Flat Pedals

peter_booker2003
peter_booker2003 Posts: 566
edited November 2012 in MTB buying advice
What are the best shoes for flat pedals. Want something with a sturdy but not to thick sole. A bit like five tens.

I have seen CRC have the Five Ten Spitfires at £53. Are these worth it or is it worth getting the freeriders for £20 more?

Cheers

Comments

• DodgeT
    DodgeT Posts: 2,255
    Spitfires look more like something for the bmx track, wouldn't want to use them on the mtb.
    Freeriders are defo worth the money.
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    Spitfires are not my best purchase ever, I have to admit, the sole is way to flexy and power transfer really suffers, for DH they'd be great, but for long rides they're not great. Freeriders are much better for getting the miles in.
  • I bought a pair of Spitfires in the sales a few weeks ago, gotta be honest; a fantastic shoe! I've only used them at Llandegla and Lee Quarry so far, for Trail centre riding but really really enjoyed them! the grip is fantastic, not as glue like as a friends impact 2's, which you just cant move on the pedal....

they're pretty tough and despite their reputation didnt retain too much water even though there was a lot of water and snow around....

definitely recommend with flat pedals, though must admit i havent given them a thorough test yet...
  • mcnultycop
    mcnultycop Posts: 2,143
    I love my Teva Links. The water resistance claims are complete bollocks, but they are grippy on the pedals and really comfortable.
  • tudj
    tudj Posts: 254
    I love my freeriders, I went back to trainers for one ride last week and it really highlighted the differences. The grip the freeriders have is fantastic, even on average pedals. They're built to last too. The only downside is that they let water in and they seem to hold it quite well, that doesn't bother me too much but some people hate getting wet/cold feet.