Advice Needed

johnS85
johnS85 Posts: 9
edited November 2012 in Road beginners
Hi, I am new to this site and in fact only just started cycling approx 2-3 months ago. In this time I have really caught the bug and have found it a great way to commute to work and lose weight (over 2 stones now). I have set my sights on doing a sportive(110 miles) with my friend next year (Sept). I recently purchased a hybrid bike the Forme Winster 2.1 and have found it a step up from the old mountain bike that I started on. I used the cycle to work scheme for this to spread the payments but now that I am wanting to do the sportive I am looking at buying a road bike. I know I am dragging this out a bit but I have a few queries.

1, Should I wait till spring to buy my road bike and use my hybrid just now? This means I don''t risk ruining my road bike during the winter months.
2, Having looked at various sites it appears the boardman range of road bikes are the best at each price point, are they really that good?
3, If not could some alternatives be suggested

Many thanks, and sorry for the long spiel

Comments

• Stuuu
    Stuuu Posts: 46
    I don't know much but I'll set the ball rolling by making a poorly judged reply that will get people talking and helping. :P

1. There may be some nice weather still left to get used to a new bike. If you haven't ridden drops before they may take some getting used to. I hadn't ridden drops for 20 years when I recently picked up my road bike and I was hanging onto the hoods for dear life at first. Now with about 60 miles on it I am a lot more relaxed and confident on it.

I've not seen evidence of rust on my 20 year old mountain bike, despite riding it in all weathers and only washing and oiling it yearly. Maybe where the bike is stored makes a big difference? It is a little gunged up, I guess, but I'm not at a level where it will impact my performance. And I am using this bike during the wetter days we have now. If the roads are dry I am out on the road bike.

2. I have zero experience of Boardman bikes but I was tempted to get one.

3. I went for a Giant Defy 2. There are plenty of Defys at different price points. Whether they are better than a Boardman I do not know. But I am happy with my choice.
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    Some random thoughts / comments:

Boardman are pretty good value, particulary when they are on sale, which they aren't at the moment.

At this time of year 2013 models are being introduced so there are a lot of bargains still to be had on discounted 2012 bikes if they have them in your size. you could well get a better spec bike than a boardman for similar money.

have a read of road buying advice forum as a lot get highlighted on there or have a google

there is nothing to stop you doing 110 miles on your hybrid, but if you want to use that as an excuse to get a road bike then go for it.

At a similar price point to the forme range, Decathlons Triban 3 gets some rave reviews as a great bargain entry point bike it knocks the spots off anything else in that price bracket.
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • Sprool
    Sprool Posts: 1,022
    I'd hang on to the hybrid for the winter season and treat yourself to a nice new road bike when the spring arrives. Boardman get some good reviews but you are spoilt for choice at that price range. Check out the big names - specialized, trek, giant, scott, etc. as well as the triban. You have time now to do your research and see which one suits you best.
  • Thanks alot, Tbh I am leaning towards holding off untill the spring for all the reasons I mentioned but also it will give me a bit more time to save up and inturn increase my budget (my wife will be pleased). I currently commute a 10 mile round trip daily and the Forme is perfect for the job. I went out for my first "proper ride" on saturday with my friend around the kilmarnock area and did approx 30 miles and again the forme was fine. I just really want a road bike as the cycle bug has bitten hard lol. I have googled road bikes at various price points but it seems that a road bike is all about personal preference and having no experience with them I don't want to make a mistake. I don't want to buy a cheaper road bike to just want to upgrade it straight away.
  • woodywmb
    woodywmb Posts: 669
    1. Stick with the hybrid - make sure it has treadless tyres for easier road cycling. The state of the roads (especially around Kilmarnock!) will knock the stuffing out of a light road bike at this time of year, especially when the gritters are out. You'll do well just to keep cycling through the winter up here. The hybrid is safer and you will be more confident on a bike you know.
    2. Boardman are great bikes, though these are sometimes prone to problems with their BB30 bottom brackets. They are good value for money, especially when Halfords are offering a discount and they will be in the New Year when money's tight.
    The Road Comp and Road Team are great pieces of machinery. Exceptionally light. The Team is dearer but the quality is there in the wheels and Shimano 105 gearing. Another good choice is the Giant Defy 1 (£1,000). Great write-ups from all the mags.
  • Thanks Woody, I'm not from Killie i actually live in Glasgow but my friend is from killie and we are going to train for the sportive together so we are going to alternate our training areas. Next time will be Glasgow to Balloch and back, so a bit further but definetly less hilly. I will keep an eye out for the January offers and take a look at the Giant Defy. The forme is fine for what I'm doing just now but I feel that come spring when I will be looking to build up to nearer sportive distance the road bike (whatever I will get) will be the boost that I by then will be looking for. One last query what is the main difference between; SRAM, Shimano and Campagnolo, do they all feel vastly different?
  • woodywmb
    woodywmb Posts: 669
    No straightforward answer to that. Each has positives and negatives. The prices vary considerably too. One man's meat is another man's poison. Google away and read what others say. Measure one against the other on a sheet of paper (measurements, weight, gear ratios, efficiency, price etc) and decide which suits you best. I stick with Shimano for no other reason than the majority of tools I have fit parts from that manufacturer. It would prove costly to mix and match components.
  • Thanks, I always like to do things ass backwards; a horrible trait I know, so I just want to make sure I am doing the right thing with this purchase. I also like to be a bit different, another reason I don't particularly want to go with boardman. I'd rather a bike that was a bit different from the rest but also doesn't compromise on value. I will only go with the boardman if they are head and shoulders above the rest tbh. I also am a bit worried about using halfords as the LBS i bought the Forme from were incompetent and bikes are meant to be their trade, I can only imagine the quality of expertise that halfords have.

Also I have a bit of an infatuation with the Italians; food, cars, football etc so the thought of a campagnolo fitted bike does appeal but then again it could come back to kick me in the stugots(balls in italian).
  • The question I would put to you is this: What exactly do you think is going to happen to your road bike in the winter?

So often people will state these things as if they are home truths, but it's all stuff and nonsense. Unless the bike has carbon fibre wheels (which are pretty silly anyway) and a Dura Ace or Super Record groupset - a full set of consumables for which costs more than some peoples' bikes - as well as being kitted out with featherweight tubs (rather than tough puncture-proof clinchers), there is no good reason to put your bike in hibernation. If the tyres you use are remotely hardy, you will be fine.

Yes, you will need to keep the road muck at bay by cleaning and degreasing, but you should be doing this anyway, and it's not as if it only rains during the winter in our fair isles! It sounds like you want a road bike, so buy one. :)
  • The question I would put to you is this: What exactly do you think is going to happen to your road bike in the winter?

So often people will state these things as if they are home truths, but it's all stuff and nonsense. Unless the bike has carbon fibre wheels (which are pretty silly anyway) and a Dura Ace or Super Record groupset - a full set of consumables for which costs more than some peoples' bikes - as well as being kitted out with featherweight tubs (rather than tough puncture-proof clinchers), there is no good reason to put your bike in hibernation. If the tyres you use are remotely hardy, you will be fine.

Yes, you will need to keep the road muck at bay by cleaning and degreasing, but you should be doing this anyway, and it's not as if it only rains during the winter in our fair isles! It sounds like you want a road bike, so buy one. :)

It's not that I think the road will waste away I was just wondering if the hybrid will be ok for training in the winter and then get the road bike in the spring. I am a beginner so it's not as if I am doing 100 miles currently. i do 10 miles round trip to work 5 days and my first "training ride" was 27 miles approx and I plan on doing one of them every 2 weeks and gradually building upon them. I'l be out next sat and plan on doing approx 45 miles albeit on flatter terrain. I will get a road bike I just want to make sure that if i spend approx 1k then it is not a waste as it's not chump change to me.
  • I bought a Boardman Team Carbon for 1000 pounds and I can't praise it enough. Can't be much out there that is better value for money. I bought mine on Wiggle and not Halfords.
  • Stuuu
    Stuuu Posts: 46
    Going back to the whole training part of things, a different frame and handlebar position may mean your riding posture and position is different and you will use your muscles slightly differntly.It is unlikely both bikes will be exactly the same fit and may need adjusting slowly over time until you get the perfect fit.
  • Stuu, Tbh the training is going to start in earnest in the spring I am just trying to get in as many miles as possible over the winter months. Ive started from a really poor level of fitness; I'm 5"8 and was 18st 7lb. Although that has come down to 16st 3lb and dropping. So just getting off my fat arse is progress. I plan to commute to work as much as possible, my route is fairly flat and mainly cycle paths(the Glasgow clydeside). Hopefully my friend and i can get out every two weeks for our longer more "training rides" and up the intensity of those, he's an ex personal trainer so he's satan in disguise.

Once the weather improves and I get the new road bike I can really up my training in intensity and regularity. My wife just had our first child 6 months ago, so free time is at a premium.

I'l make sure I go to a LBS when I buy the bike to make sure it's fitted properly and i'm comfortable on it. I live in Glasgow city centre and any advice on a good LBS would be helpful. I went to one for the forme and wasn't impressed so I definetly won't be giving them anymore buisness.
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    johnS85 wrote:
    One last query what is the main difference between; SRAM, Shimano and Campagnolo, do they all feel vastly different?

Mainly the way the shifters work, shimano up and down on a lever behind the brake lever, campag up on on a lever behind the brake lever, down on a thumb button, SRAM clunky" single tap one way double tap the other" level behind brake lever. have a look down your LBS. Obviously all have entry point gropup sets moving up to more expensive where the look and feel of the shifters improves and the the weight reduces and shifting gets slight smoother for exponentially increasing costs.
    johnS85 wrote:
    Also I have a bit of an infatuation with the Italians; food, cars, football etc so the thought of a campagnolo fitted bike does appeal but then again it could come back to kick me in the stugots(balls in italian).
    Buy a Bianchi then, you won't be disappointed. OK so they are not the best value for specfication brand new undicounted, but they look great and ride well. In the cycling world buying Italian isn't like buying an Alfa, for a start its all built in the far east and it doesn't fall apart, rust and develop electrical faults. You do the special feel though :wink:
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • Buy a Bianchi then, you won't be disappointed. OK so they are not the best value for specfication brand new undicounted, but they look great and ride well. In the cycling world buying Italian isn't like buying an Alfa, for a start its all built in the far east and it doesn't fall apart, rust and develop electrical faults. You do the special feel though :wink:

Lol, I wanted to buy an Alfa Brera soooo much but the wife wasn't convinced and then all of a sudden she was pregnant and even I'm not silly enough to buy a 3 door to use with a baby. Come to think of it maybe she planned it, j/k. Ended up with a golf instead which is a good car but there are soooo many on the road.

Would like my bike to be a bit different. I'll have a look at the Bianchi. Thanks for the help guys. I am a complete noob tbh and need all the help I can get. Are the Bianchi's easily buyable from LBS or mainly online?