Riders down

il_principe
il_principe Posts: 9,155
edited November 2012 in Commuting chat
I sat a fair way behind 3 roadies (2 SS and and orange geared jobbie) from Wandsworth to Battersea today. We were all tooling along at a fair click. I watched 3 of them jump one set of lights but caught up again. At this point the traffic was fairly busy so I hung back a little further and watched as 2 of them proceeded to jump the next set of lights. Caught up again and sat off them, I guess by 10 metres or so. Didn't want to get any closer as the first 2 were weaving around the road far too much, clearly having a bit of a race, when BAM both of them stacked it right into the back of a VW they'd been far to close to. I'm afraid that rather than asking them if they were alright, I said 'I hope you're gonna stop and give the lady your details' as quite a bit of her left rear light was all over the road, and she had started to drive off. God knows why as they'd hit her doing around 23mph and it made a good old bang, must've hurt. Anyway, they seemed ok but I've got no sympathy for people that ride like idiots and RLJ. If you can't handle a bike properly then I'd suggest you slow the f*ck down until you can. Idiots.

Comments

• fossyant
    fossyant Posts: 2,549
    I'd have called them 'plucking idiots' :lol:
  • fossyant
    Then laughed ! :lol:
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    It was wacky races today. Or more whacky in your case.

I know I've said it before but I need to get up earlier to avoid the 'get in just before nine' horde
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    Not meaning to be a pedant, but was there any direct link between their RLJ and their hitting the car? In this case sounds like the RLJ was just part of a pattern of twattish cycling, one of the reasons why I don't really bother with SCR - its never worth taking that risk.
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,632
    JonGinge wrote:
    It was wacky races today. Or more whacky in your case.

I know I've said it before but I need to get up earlier to avoid the 'get in just before nine' horde

+1

Always seems like such a good idea until it's morning and actually time to get up!
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    Get up at 5:45 and on the road by 6:10, don't really see anyone on bikes until I get to Archway (8 miles in). Its nice.

In the office by 7:10, sod being out in all that early morning traffic.
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    BigMat wrote:
    Not meaning to be a pedant, but was there any direct link between their RLJ and their hitting the car? In this case sounds like the RLJ was just part of a pattern of foolish cycling, one of the reasons why I don't really bother with SCR - its never worth taking that risk.

No there wasn't, but as you say it is indicative of general f*ckwittery.
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    BigMat wrote:
    Not meaning to be a pedant, but was there any direct link between their RLJ and their hitting the car? In this case sounds like the RLJ was just part of a pattern of foolish cycling, one of the reasons why I don't really bother with SCR - its never worth taking that risk.

No there wasn't, but as you say it is indicative of general f*ckwittery.

I was just curious - as I was reading it, I was thinking "these guys are gonna jump a light and then get taken out big style" but then they just rear shunted someone! Probably did them a favour by the sound of it, before their testosterone got them in more serious sh1t.
  • Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    I saw something similar a while ago. Guy on a SS trying to show how quick he was, tailing a van at about 2 feet distance. The van slowed suddenly and the SS guy rode smack into the back of it. If he'd been riding sensibly up to that point I'd have had some sympathy. However, he'd been riding like a tool so sympathy was in limited supply. He jumped up, apparently unhurt, so I rode off, chuckling. I'd like to think that people who do this learn a lesson but I suspect not.
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    Worst incidence of this I saw was a bit of a SCR going east past Dolphin square. Guy on a really nice pearlescent dolan track bike was riding like a madmen and ended up somehow clipping the pedal of a guy he was overtaking too closely with his front wheel. He went over the handlebars and flew off his bike and landed quite heavily. He must have at least broken his collar bone... Didn't see him back on the commute for about 6 months. The other guy was fine.

Whenever I see riding like that I stay well back. There are some sections on CS8 where it can become a bit of a melee. DSC west and Millbank east can get very fast and busy. Always better to stay ahead of it or behind.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,767
    Riding through Richmond Park on a motorbike a few years back I caught up to the back of a line of traffic heading towards Ham from Kingston, the road over the top of the hill is really slippery and it was wet. A guy on a scooter was at the back, way too close to the car in front. He wouldn't have been able to pass as the road is narrow, twisty and slippery. The car in front of him dabbed it's brakes, so the guy on the scooter grabbed a fistful of front brake and down he went. I managed to stop in plenty of time, pick him up and pick his scooter up. The scooter was unrideable, but he was ok. I was going to offer him a lift to Richmond Station but the guy started ranting about what an idiot the guy in the car was to brake like that. I tried to reason with him but he carried on effing and blinding. So I told him it was his own fault for being too close and left him to it.
    The moral of the story is that a lot of people are idiots and cannot see the error of their ways as they are just too dumb. Much easier to blame someone else.
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    Years ago I saw a guy following a car far too closely. It stopped, he didn't and his forehead hit the top of her roof (this was a small euro-pop car like a Citreon C2 or something).

I laughed becuase the guy was riding like a dick. I posted the story and most of the 'self righteous and must defend cyclists at all costs' bunch on here had a go at me. GregT didn't he said he'd have laugh. He's cool.

I agree with everything the OP did/said in the first post. There are some inconsiderate and frankly dickish cyclists out there.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • Cafewanda
    Cafewanda Posts: 2,788
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    There are some inconsiderate and frankly dickish cyclists out there.

I've noticed some cuntish ones too in recent months.
  • cyclingprop
    cyclingprop Posts: 2,426
    Does that mean we have some babyish ones one way?
    What do you mean you think 64cm is a big frame?
  • fossyant
    We don't get enough cyclists on the road for much silly racing. Lots of idiotic behaviour, but they are usually on their own.