Finally conquered my nemesis.

Bustacapp
Bustacapp Posts: 971
edited November 2012 in Road beginners
Shaley Brow, a very steep road that straddles Billinge Hill, has been impossible for me to finish without getting off and pushing. Until now!! (well, a couple of weeks ago actually). After plugging away at it week after week I have finally conquered the beast!! I have now completed the hill from bottom to top 4 times and the most recent time (last Sunday) I did it all the way seated. When I started riding a few weeks ago, I weighed in at 120kg. I must be about 110kg now. The hill features in a 10 mile loop I do from my house (which was in additioon to another weekly, longer and flatter ride) which will now be the only riding I will be doing over winter. The loop consists of the climb, and a sprint, so I feel it is quite short, sweet and instense enough to maintain a decent level of fitness until next season. As long as I can continue to breach the hill over winter I will be happy.

Cheers! Just thought I'd share. Here is the hill, it says it's a cat 4 climb but most other cyclists I know reckon that it's steeper than that.

http://app.strava.com/segments/705525

Comments

• mr_poll
    mr_poll Posts: 1,547
    Well done Shaley is a tough one. When I started my nemesis was Parbold Hill (the tough side) great when you finally get up and over without stopping.

Once you get the miles and confidence up try Harry Middleton CC - guessing it is local to you. V friendly club with groups of all abilities.
  • Well done! Isn't it great when you feel you're progressing? That's an awful lot of weight to lose in such a short time too! You must be feeling great!

I've enjoyed a small weight loss and a noticeable increase in my ability to get up the hills. There is one I need to go back to and see if I can get up it... but I might wait till the weather improves. And I still want to get my mileage up some more, but it's all a bit harder now the weather's not so good :?
  • elderone
    elderone Posts: 1,410
    well done,that,s great to reach a goal and keep it going over winter.hills are evil but such a buzz to crack one.
    Dulce et decorum est Pro patria mori
  • ShutUpLegs
    ShutUpLegs Posts: 3,522
    Bustacapp wrote:
    Shaley Brow, a very steep road that straddles Billinge Hill, has been impossible for me to finish without getting off and pushing. Until now!! (well, a couple of weeks ago actually). After plugging away at it week after week I have finally conquered the beast!! I have now completed the hill from bottom to top 4 times and the most recent time (last Sunday) I did it all the way seated. When I started riding a few weeks ago, I weighed in at 120kg. I must be about 110kg now. The hill features in a 10 mile loop I do from my house (which was in additioon to another weekly, longer and flatter ride) which will now be the only riding I will be doing over winter. The loop consists of the climb, and a sprint, so I feel it is quite short, sweet and instense enough to maintain a decent level of fitness until next season. As long as I can continue to breach the hill over winter I will be happy.

Cheers! Just thought I'd share. Here is the hill, it says it's a cat 4 climb but most other cyclists I know reckon that it's steeper than that.

http://app.strava.com/segments/705525
    120kg, wel dun, thats some wait to lug up hills...
  • Thanks guys I've never been down Shaley so might try that for a laugh. According to Strava there's a few who have hit almost 60mph down the bugger!
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    Bustacapp wrote:
    Thanks guys I've never been down Shaley so might try that for a laugh. According to Strava there's a few who have hit almost 60mph down the bugger!
    yeah but going down is the easy part! going up is the real tester, not that I have done this hill mind, but well done! onwards and upwards, literally!
  • Stuuu
    Stuuu Posts: 46
    Very good going. I think I could only dream of that achievement.
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    Bustacapp wrote:
    Thanks guys I've never been down Shaley so might try that for a laugh. According to Strava there's a few who have hit almost 60mph down the bugger!

if you've got the balls then at 110kg your well placed to get up to those kind of speeds. Have a go quick before you get under 100kg and have no chance of taking KOM!
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • I forgot to add that my bike is neither a triple nor compact. I do it with 39 tooth cog!! Old school baby!!
  • t4tomo wrote:
    if you've got the balls then at 110kg your well placed to get up to those kind of speeds. Have a go quick before you get under 100kg and have no chance of taking KOM!

Do you reckon I'd even need to pedal?
  • Well done mate thats some going. Shaley has to be steepest hill around there, i tried it once got no more than half way then had to stop. I'm pathetic at hills though i recently failed Hunters Hill near Parbold which is nowhere near as steep as Shaley or Parbold hill but it's a long slog of a hill.
  • Bustacapp wrote:
    I forgot to add that my bike is neither a triple nor compact. I do it with 39 tooth cog!! Old school baby!!

It counts as 'old school' if you have a 25 cog or lower as your lowest gear. ;)

P.S. Well done. Keep up the good work.
  • Bustacapp wrote:
    t4tomo wrote:

Do you reckon I'd even need to pedal?

Depends how long it is. On really long, steep descents it's more favourable not to (and to assume a very low position), but that's more in the Pyrenees than in Great Britain! :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0tFpNsZXWgc
  • willow71uk wrote:
    Well done mate thats some going. Shaley has to be steepest hill around there, i tried it once got no more than half way then had to stop. I'm pathetic at hills though i recently failed Hunters Hill near Parbold which is nowhere near as steep as Shaley or Parbold hill but it's a long slog of a hill.

Cheers mate. I'll have to give that Hunters Hill a pop!
  • Bustacapp wrote:
    I forgot to add that my bike is neither a triple nor compact. I do it with 39 tooth cog!! Old school baby!!

It counts as 'old school' if you have a 25 cog or lower as your lowest gear. ;)

P.S. Well done. Keep up the good work.

Sorry I meant my chainring was 39 tooth. The rear cog was 26. Thanks anyway!