Garmin 800 ??

RandG
RandG Posts: 779
edited November 2012 in MTB buying advice
Is it a good buy at the hefty price ?

I want a unit that will do mtb and road riding for the Spring/Summer and have been thinking about the 500, but possibly not the best unit for mtb ?

Thoughts/opinions/sarcasm/Witty comments welcomed.

Comments

• I have an 800 with the 1:50k OS map and use it both on and off road.

Here goes...

The GPS is, as long as you let it get a good fix at the start (takes between 10 secs and a couple of minutes, depending on reception), very accurate indeed, and doesn't seem phased by extended periods under full tree cover. The barometric altimeter isn't perfect, but is infinitely better than GPS only altitude. However, the altitude correction on Garmin Correct is pretty accurate, so that'll sort the data out post-ride. Craps all over mobile phone GPSs from a great height (based on HTC Legend, HTC Desire HD, iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4S, iPhone 5, Samsung Galaxy II... thank you, work!).

Not had any serious durability issues despite using it in all sorts of conditions. Touch screen can scratch if you swipe it when it's covered in mud, but pouring some drink over it cleans it. Waterproofing has been fine as long as the USB and micro SD port covers are securely shut. The mounts are entirely secure, and it's stayed on the bike more reliably than I have. It comes with two mounts, so swapping between bikes is trivial. A bit of messing about with lacky bands might be needed if you want it mounted on an odd shaped crossbar (which is a sensible place to put it if you're in the habit of crashing spectacularly with pike and tuck).

The screen was initially disappointing compared to modern mobile phone screens, insofar as it's not that big or vibrant. However, a bit of messing with the brightness makes it a load better and doesn't murder the battery. I've had to shield it from the sun to read the map on occasion, and I wouldn't want to have to ride along staring at the map in bright conditions.

Can't speak for the turn by turn navigation as I don't use it. However, the 1:50k maps are superb for playing "Hunt the Bridleway", and sticking your own pins in works nicely for recording points of interest for future use. For the way I use the mapping (occasional reference), it works absolutely beautifully. Haven't got lost or failed to find something I'm looking for since I've been using it. It's also very easy to use the OpenStreetMap freebie maps with it, and whilst I don't get on with them myself, others swear by them (and they're probably right and I wrong).

Battery life is plenty unless you're into 20 hour efforts. Recharging on USB is very rapid. Battery seems to take cold weather in its stride.

Garmin Connect's a relatively pleasent way of recording rides. Training Centre's a bit heritage. BaseCamp (the route planner) works okay, but can't really vouch for it as I don't do the whole utterly planned route thing. Works very smoothly indeed with Strava.
    Mangeur
  • flappy8
    flappy8 Posts: 172
    Above is a great review. I love mine for MTB'ing. The OS maps work well although I use http://wtp2.appspot.com/wheresthepath.htm to plot my routes. Again, mine has been reliable despite being shaken like mad. I Don't regret spending the money!
    MTB or Road - They are both good!
  • RandG
    RandG Posts: 779
    Now that's what I call an excellent reply 8)

Just a couple of questions then, is it easy to set up for different bikes i,e, 26mtb and 700 roadie.

Also, what bundle is best to buy ? The OS map one is near £500 :shock:
  • camerauk
    camerauk Posts: 1,000
    Above is an excellent review and could not have put it better myself :D
    I use it for plotting off road routes in either Basecamp or Bikehike and either are very easy to do and follow although I don't use the turn by turn directions, I just have the route displayed on the Map.
    if you shop around can be had for under £300 with the OS maps
    http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stor ... e=shopping
    I am sure you will not regret buying one
    Specialized Camber Expert
    Specialized Allez Sport
  • camerauk
    camerauk Posts: 1,000
    Also if you have a Go Outdoors near you
    http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/garmin-edge ... le-p207364
    has them for £349.99(I know more expensive) but they will price match Halfords online price and take another !0% off the price so saving you even more :D
    hope that helps
    Specialized Camber Expert
    Specialized Allez Sport
  • handful
    handful Posts: 920
    It's a great gadget and some great opinions but I think you need two qualities to appreciate it properly. One is that you need to be a bit techy or geeky, the other is you will need patience and if you lack either of these you will come very close to chucking it over a cliff. I'm talking about on the navigation side, on the rest it's pretty straightforward. Writing or downloading routes and following them accurately with turn by turn instructions is far from easy and can be very frustrating when you're out on a hill somewhere.

I have OS maps and don't like them, they are ok for finding stuff but they are far too detailed and go blurry when zoomed in IMHO. I much prefer the OSM maps from Talkytoaster. I should point out my eyesight isn't great close up, not terrible but I do need low prescription glasses just for reading....but not for riding unless I want to follow OS maps on my Garmin!!
    Vaaru Titanium Sram Red eTap
    Moda Chord with drop bars and Rival shifters - winter/do it all bike
    Orbea Rise