2010 Trek FSA headset bearings HELP

chimp007_uk
chimp007_uk Posts: 13
edited November 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
Right, I'm a little confused... I have a 2010 Trek Remedy 8 with a FSA headset. There's no markings on it, but acording to Trek's website it's a FSA 57e E2 ACB headset. The lower bearing has started to sound a little rough... So I stripped it down cleaned it, greased it, but it's still dying a painful death.

Whilst both bearings were out I wrote down the sizes:

Upper
6.5H*41mm*30.2mm*36deg*45deg

Lower
Ritchey TIB Retainer 51.9mm*40mm 45deg*45deg

This seems a little odd, as the specs I can find on FSA's site state the lower should be a 51.8mm...?!

Do I just buy the Ritchey bearing? http://www.ukbikestore.co.uk/product/0/200_HS247_175/link.html or buy the FSA smaller one? http://www.ukbikestore.co.uk/product/0/160_6740/link.html

Any help appreciated!

Thanks guys/gals

Chris

Comments

• Anyone got any thoughts?

Is it worth upgrading the complete headset? If so, regarding stack height, do I need to make sure the new headset has the same of less than the current?
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    A tenth of a mm is about the width of a ball hair so I doubt it will make a huge difference, especially if they are tapered.
    But why would an FSA headset have a Ritchey bearing? Did you buy it new?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • cooldad wrote:
    A tenth of a mm is about the width of a ball hair so I doubt it will make a huge difference, especially if they are tapered.
    But why would an FSA headset have a Ritchey bearing? Did you buy it new?

Sadly I didn't buy it new... So it's one of those things. The headset is standard, including the upper bearing. Looking into it and the lower bearings in these headsets don't seem to last. What I believe has happened, the previous owner has had no joy with Trek as they'll only sell the complete headset then taken the bearing to his LBS and found one that is the same/fits.

I've already replaced the wheel bearings front and rear, and the freehub. I'm sending the Talas forks off for a service this week too... My pockets are well and truely empty!

As for the headset, I've removed the upper and lower cups. On closer inspection the lower cup is shot, so going to replace the whole headset with a Hope E and 2.

I pressume this won't affect the stack height?!
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Try searching for your headset on here. You need the correct parts or it will not work. As proved on the threads on here.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • nicklouse wrote:
    Try searching for your headset on here. You need the correct parts or it will not work. As proved on the threads on here.

There's no point searching for my headset, the lower cup is worn so needs to be replaced anyway. Ordered a Hope E lower bearing and Hope 2 upper bearing.

It was just confirmation that the Hope bearing wil be ok!? :D
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    nicklouse wrote:

There's no point searching for my headset, the lower cup is worn so needs to be replaced anyway. Ordered a Hope E lower bearing and Hope 2 upper bearing.

It was just confirmation that the Hope bearing wil be ok!? :D
    like i said viewtopic.php?f=10004&t=12795493&p=17145347&hilit=trek+e2#p17145347
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Welcome to bearing replacement on a modern trek!!!!

I had to do the same on my 2010 Remedy 8 after 10 months of riding and stumped for a Hope E2 headset it has been brilliant so far riding every weekend (apart from my 6 months in the Falklands).

I recently (May) had to change all the bearings in the swing arms and evo link for my rear suspension. I whipped them all out and took them into a local engineering firm and purchased a full ceramic set for half what Trek quoted me for the standard (made of cheese) versions.

When you get the chance upgrade!!!
  • Welcome to bearing replacement on a modern trek!!!!

I had to do the same on my 2010 Remedy 8 after 10 months of riding and stumped for a Hope E2 headset it has been brilliant so far riding every weekend (apart from my 6 months in the Falklands).

I recently (May) had to change all the bearings in the swing arms and evo link for my rear suspension. I whipped them all out and took them into a local engineering firm and purchased a full ceramic set for half what Trek quoted me for the standard (made of cheese) versions.

When you get the chance upgrade!!!

Looking round the net Trek seem to be useless when it comes to know what they actually fit in their bikes! I had to relace the freehub as the bearings were shot. It's branded as a Trek freehub, but it's actually formula lol.
    With the Hope top cap and bearings, whats the 3 thin shims for?

I don't have any frame bearing issues yet... I had to replace the bearings on my Trek Liquid earlier in the year, they were bonded in, got to Trek to fit them in the end as the manager was a mate of a mate.
    Are the Remedy bearings bonded?!

Cheers
    Chris
  • Just pulled my lower bearing apart recently and re-greased; its not perfect but is working.
  • They are an interference push fit!!!! They require one hell of a contraption of washers sockets and bolts to pull them out. Or http://www.rapidracerproducts.com/BPET.htm (my best buy of late)

I froze my new ones and warmed up the frame with a heat gun gently then simply pushed them in using a vice and to pieces of nylon board on each jaw!!! A quick smear of http://www.rocklube.com/super_web.htm on the contact faces and loads of it all over during final assembly.