turbo milage v road milage question.

elderone
elderone Posts: 1,410
edited November 2012 in Road beginners
I,ve ordered a turbo trainer for when i can get peddling again and for winter use as required.My question is,how many miles on a turbo would i need to do to match as an example 20 miles on the road.and thats hilly road not flat.
the aim is to get back to the standard i was at and pass it before spring.
thanks.
Dulce et decorum est Pro patria mori

Comments

• LegendLust
    LegendLust Posts: 1,022
    You need to change your mindset about turbo training. Don't think you can match mile for mile what you did on the road (unless you're made of real stern stuff!). Psychologically it's very tough.

So aim to do an hour at the most but look at doing a mix of interval sessions - these would definitely mirror your hilly road sessions.

there's plenty of resource on the internet that can give you good intervals to do
  • elderone
    LegendLust wrote:
    You need to change your mindset about turbo training. Don't think you can match mile for mile what you did on the road (unless you're made of real stern stuff!). Psychologically it's very tough.

So aim to do an hour at the most but look at doing a mix of interval sessions - these would definitely mirror your hilly road sessions.

there's plenty of resource on the internet that can give you good intervals to do
    thanks for reply,i,ll do some research and work out a plan.
  • LegendLust wrote:

What he said...

A high intensity hours ride on the trainer a few times a week will do you good and maintain your fitness levels - could possibly build them (I'm sure others could confirm this)
  • danowat
    danowat Posts: 2,877
    Forget speed and distance, work on effort level and time.
  • elderone
    LegendLust wrote:

thanks lads and good advice,just wondered why its psychologically very tough.thanks :o
  • Half an hour on my turbo feels like an hour on my relatively hilly evening ride.
    It is intense and boring compared to outdoors.
    I do find though that owning a TT means that I actually get out on the road more.
    Before I bought one I would talk myself out of a ride if the weather was marginal and I was tired. Now I know that if I don't go out due to weather then I am on the Turbo for a sweat fest. Great incentive :)
    "You really think you can burn off sugar with exercise?" downhill paul
  • DavidJB
    DavidJB Posts: 2,019
    Because it's BOOOOOOOOOOOORRRRRRRRRRRRRIIIIIIIIIIIINNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG....

An hour of the turbo feels like 900 hours on the road.

I only turbo if it's icy....and I hate EVERY SECOND.

I understand people saying about doing intervals to break the eternal boredom but if you don't have a good base zone you're building your top end on a weak foundation...this time of year it should be steady.

My advice? Get some lights, some warm gear and get out as much as possible..but DON'T go out in ice...never underestimate how much I despise the turbo but I'd rather do that than have an off in the ice.
  • elderone
    I get it now, its boring,and i will ride over turbo for sure but least its there for when i need it,
    where i live ice is an issue so will have to turbo sometime.
  • Damn mines is arriving tomorrow, I was rather looking forward to it, sigh.

this looks relatively fun
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hUwNEich ... re=related
  • Damn mines is arriving tomorrow, I was rather looking forward to it, sigh.

Despite my previous post I am still glad that I own one. They are a great bit of kit and it will get used over the winter.
    I'm lucky enough to have picked up a used ergo trainer which has the computer attached. It definitely adds an extra dimension.

Big stand alone fan and music/tv essential :)
    "You really think you can burn off sugar with exercise?" downhill paul
  • elderone
    Damn mines is arriving tomorrow, I was rather looking forward to it, sigh.

this looks relatively fun
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hUwNEich ... re=related
    so was I..
    will try to enjoy it as i,ll force myself on it if no road riding.
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    At my gym they have tv and sky sports which make it slightly less boring and I can watch stuff I don't get at home
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    If you want to improve your top end fitness then doing a sufferfest once or twice a week will really help. It will also nearly kill you if done properly so the word boredom doesn't come into things. The vids are good but the music is rubbish (IMO) but you can listen to whatever you want as the instructions are all on screen. You need to understand and set your TT suffering level (7) and then work from there. It takes a bit of trial and error but it is well worth it.

As others have said, endurance work on the turbo is a killer. I spent 2 months off the bike this time last year with a collarbone break and did 4-5 sessions on the turbo a week all the way through. When I went back to cycling outdoors I had only lost about 2-3 mph off my average, rides of 50miles or more took a while to manage but it all came back quickly so turbo-ing really works.

Angels is great, I also like the Hunted and the new "there is no try" is excellent (but I was nearly sick after the last time I did it), still managed to win on the Champs Elyesees though :wink:
  • meesterbond
    meesterbond Posts: 1,240
    Bobbinogs wrote:
    Angels is great, I also like the Hunted and the new "there is no try" is excellent (but I was nearly sick after the last time I did it), still managed to win on the Champs Elyesees though :wink:

Angels is my favourite. I could almost say that I enjoy it. The climb up Alp d'Huez is mental.

'The other Schleck is impressed with your effort'...

Haven't done Hunted for a while. Maybe tomorrow night.
  • Nik Cube
    Nik Cube Posts: 311
    I have never have enough spare energy to get bored on the turbo I just hang on and pray for the agony to end. Add in some loud music and Roberts your mum's brother :D
    Fcn 5
    Cube attempt 2010
  • Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    To echo the above, don't use the turbo for longer endurance work. Boredom will kick in and then you'll avoid turbo work.

Re. the "build base miles then work on speed endurance (intervals)" philosophy, the Sky head coach has challenged this, suggesting that you can do intervals early, just less of them, and then build up the volume as fitness improves. He suggests that this is more effective than "long, slow distance" work. This is also echoed by Hunter Allen and his focus on increasing FTP through "sweet spot" training, i.e. longer intervals sub threshold which is achievable (up to a point) on a turbo. Hunter Allen also suggests that more frequent, shorter sessions such as 4 two hour sessions a week give greater benefit than 1 or 2 long ones.

Sufferfest is great, I was almost sick when doing Downward Spiral for the 1st time and going off way too hard on the 1st 2 minute interval which almost killed me at the end of the 1st set, and wrecked me for the 2nd! I've also had Trainerroad.com recommended, which can be linked to the Sufferfest vids plus has loads of other workouts plus you can watch other vids with your workouts overlaid on top. I've got a Garmin ANT USB dongle arriving shortly for this reason which joins it all together.
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.
  • elderone
    some great replies but can i say do 20 then 25 mile turbo rides to build up my fitness again as recovery from injury so i need to build up my base..once done then move on.
  • Mines just arrived, damn its loud :( oh well I'll have to use it in the cellar. :cry:
  • I've had one for a few years now and use it regularly, it was priceless in my rehabilitation/recovery after a recent hip re-surfacing operation.

Although they have a "bad press" from us cyclists they're IMHO a really useful bit of kit and I wouldn't be without mine now.
    Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.
  • Just thought I'd add to this and say I've just sold mines.., LOL!!
  • Bozman
    Bozman Posts: 2,518
    To me, zero comparison.
    I've got a dodgy knee, if i cycle the knee is fine and doesn't effect my cycling, If i don't cycle for a week the knee goes to pot after which i can't cycle any real distance, plus it can take at least two weeks for the knee to build up strength again.
    Cycling on my turbo for a week instead of the road leaves my knee in the same state as if i haven't cycled, so as far as i'm concerned there's a major difference between the two, they can't use the same muscle or supporting muscles otherwise my knee would be fine.
    Sounds like a bunch of ar*e but that's the way it is for me.
  • 1_reaper
    1_reaper Posts: 322
    I love my Fortius and the miles fly by also the option to use my regular rides via google maps. Only downside to that is that some of the gradients are out but I can live with that :D