Headset Play

jefflad
jefflad Posts: 315
edited November 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
What would cause the headset to have slight play/wobble when riding... I Havent looked too deeply into as just got a text off my son on his ride to school about it so just wanted some pointers on where to look/possible failings of where to start looking on his mountain bike.

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    It's loose or stuffed.
    Read 'Read this first' below.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • jefflad
    I'm guessing stuffed as he's had a go at it and a teacher who 'knows' about bikes reckons it damaged but I want to have a check and that link is a great starting point... Thanks!
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Usually just needs the preload adjusting.....if the teacher didn't take an allen key to the bike then he can't know!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • jefflad
    all fixed... just needed tightening but it had lost some lubrication so added vaseline, will this be OK? if not what lubricant do you reccommend?
  • cooldad
    Grease
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    Vaseline, that's 2 in short order!

Vaseline is useless, the solvent evaporates leaving a thick wax which is then hopeless for lubricating anything, so you really need to clean all the snot out and then grease it properly
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • cooldad
    Vaseline, that's 2 in short order!

Vaseline is useless, the solvent evaporates leaving a thick wax which is then hopeless for lubricating anything, so you really need to clean all the snot out and then grease it properly
    Not one I've ever tried.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    Trust me there is no other word to describe dried up Vaseline!