Suspension set up?

sammysideways
sammysideways Posts: 41
edited November 2012 in MTB beginners
Im kinda clueless as to what settings etc i need for my bike, is there anywhere down south that would properly set my bike up for me and go over everything for me? I know what everything does etc but im a bit paranoid about adjusting stuff and messing things up. also what is sag height and how do i set it up correctly?

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Sag (not height) is the amount the suspension 'sags' (compresses) when you are on the bike in typical 'attack' riding position, typically you adjust the spring (of whatever medium) to give 20-33% sag depending on what you prefer.

What suspension do you have?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • RST Deuce coil, would i be right in thinking then that sag would be less important on a hardtail then? would my local bike shop be able to set my bike up for me?
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    You can DIY, there is a knob on the top of the fork legs, turn to + top reduce sag, - to increase it, reducing it will soften the ride but also make it dive more under braking/downhill, opposite for +.

You really don't want to be paying anyone to set them up as the effect is minimal, you don't increase spring rate, just the starting point.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    It won't help - you need to set sag and rebound, and you can only fine tune it by riding.
    Set the sag as The Beginner said, set rebound somewhere around the middle, ride and see. If It's pogo stick like, add more rebound damping, if it packs down over a succession of bumps, remove some. (Damping slows down the forks when they extend).
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Thank you, ill just go to my local trail ride, adjust then ride again till i find something i like
  • http://www.bikeradar.com/mtb/gear/article/video-workshop-how-to-set-up-your-front-and-rear-suspension-34289/

Some good vids/articles here on BikeRadar which helped me. Don't be afraid to fiddle, you can't really do any damage by changing the amount of air and twiddling dials on your shock/forks.