Tottenham hale gyratory

jds_1981
jds_1981 Posts: 1,858
edited November 2012 in Commuting chat
or as I prefer to call it "the roundabout of death".

Apparently being redeveloped back into a two way system. Seems that work has started there now. Does anyone have a link to the plans? I can't find anything online but I believe they have been online before.

Thanks
FCN 9 || FCN 5

Comments

• Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    Horrible junction, glad they're planning on making it less like a racetrack, no idea what they are though
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    I grew up just around from there, but I can't remember ever cycling around it.
    When my parents were about to buy that house it was two way (I've been told) but the day before they moved in it became the huge one way system we know now.

I didn't know about the plans and would like to see them before I decry them as stupid and pointless.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • jds_1981
    bit more google-fu borught up this http://www.london.gov.uk/sites/default/files/06.pdf . page 111 has part of one of the proposals. Not sure if final.
    FCN 9 || FCN 5
  • chilling
    chilling Posts: 267
    Interesting, I live just down the road but hadn't heard about it. I doubt they can make the road infrastructure much worse than it is now.
  • PBo
    PBo Posts: 2,493
    Got to be honest and say that I cycle round it sometimes, but find it no better or worse than any other busy London section of road...
  • jds_1981
    PBo wrote:
    Got to be honest and say that I cycle round it sometimes, but find it no better or worse than any other busy London section of road...

Most of it isn't too bad, however, this bit is the least favourite part of my commute. Perhaps I find it worse as I go through towards the end of rush hour, or it's the junctions I take? It's the part of my commute that I think is most likely to see me taken out by a car even though I take every possible precaution.
    https://maps.google.co.uk/?ll=51.58956, ... 2,,0,15.82
    I'm in the left hand lane here which splits into two (I need to end up in the middle lane). For some reason most cars think it's the right lane that splits in two and so I'll be slowing for the lights which are inevitably red and will have a car try to pull into me.

At this point
    https://maps.google.co.uk/?ll=51.589536 ... 43,,0,9.36
    it's fairly common for cars to try and get from the right hand lane to exit onto the a1055. I used to take the left lane but would have cars try to go through me regularly. Taking the centre lane reduces this somewhat.
    I *think* the reason the cars try and cut from the right to the left, is often the queue at the traffic lights is shortest on the right hand side.
    FCN 9 || FCN 5
  • I ride it everyday and probably the least favourite part of the commute, but never come close to an accident.
    Some of the worst riding and RLJs on my route from Chigwell to Hampstead always seem to be on this section though. Will be interesting to see what they've got planned.
  • EKE_38BPM
    I've just driven around it and work has already started. The contraflow bus lane on the High Road is closed and you can't go from Broad Lane to West Green Road.

The signs say expect delays until October 2014.

• PBo
    PBo Posts: 2,493
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    I've just driven around it and work has already started. The contraflow bus lane on the High Road is closed and you can't go from Broad Lane to West Green Road.

Burn the witch!!
  • EKE_38BPM
    PBo wrote:
    EKE_38BPM wrote:

Burn the witch!!

I was coming back from playing football about 7 miles from home and I was carrying a rowing machine.

I'll get the matches.

• il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    I wish they'd do this in Wandsworth Town. The Gyratory has completely suffocated the place.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,336
    I wish they'd do this in Wandsworth Town. The Gyratory has completely suffocated the place.
    As they do everywhere they are introduced - stick a dual carriageway around somewhere, and whaddayaknow, nobody fancies crossing the 3-4 lane road to get to what's left in the middle.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • Koncordski
    Koncordski Posts: 1,009

It's also so utterly pointless, the A3 coming into Wandsworth from out of town is one lane for a long stretch. Why the hell it then opens up to four lanes to go past the armoury pub is beyond me. I mean, did the planner who designed this think for one second about what it must be like to live in any of these buildings or imagine what it's like for a parent with a pram to cross the road here? http://goo.gl/maps/msE4o

The noise and the grime from the traffic makes it a horrible place to walk or cycle, when the redevelop the brewery site and all the extra traffic arrives what the hell are they going to do? Plus the next phase of the riverside quarter is nearing completion off point pleasant. Such a waste of an otherwise pleasant part of london.

#1 Brompton S2L Raw Lacquer, Leather Mudflaps
    #2 Boeris Italia race steel
    #3 Scott CR1 SL
    #4 Trek 1.1 commuter
    #5 Peugeot Grand Tourer (Tandem)
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,336
    Koncordski wrote:

It's also so utterly pointless, the A3 coming into Wandsworth from out of town is one lane for a long stretch. Why the hell it then opens up to four lanes to go past the armoury pub is beyond me. I mean, did the planner who designed this think for one second about what it must be like to live in any of these buildings or imagine what it's like for a parent with a pram to cross the road here? http://goo.gl/maps/msE4o

The noise and the grime from the traffic makes it a horrible place to walk or cycle, when the redevelop the brewery site and all the extra traffic arrives what the hell are they going to do? Plus the next phase of the riverside quarter is nearing completion off point pleasant. Such a waste of an otherwise pleasant part of london.

It's the tail end of the outdated idea that what you needed to do to improve a place was separate cars off into high-speed, multilane roads. The centre of Bristol was like this for years, with the unfinished stumps of elevated walkways and pi$$-soaked underpasses. Thankfully, the pendulum is swinging back the other way, but there's 70-80 years worth of this stuff to undo
    wp_1943.jpg
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition