Clothing Advice

Burt25
Burt25 Posts: 117
edited November 2012 in Road beginners
Having just bought my first road bike (Cannondale Synapse Carbon), I need to get myself kitted out with some gear so need some advise on what to buy? - I was thinking of some bib shorts with leg warmers and short sleeve top with arm warmers. Is this the way to go for seasonal flexibility or should I be buying seperate gear for winter and summer use? Also, this might be a stupid question :? - are bib shorts worn over or under the shirt?

Comments

• Personally, I'd get bib tights for the winter and worry about shorts in the spring. You'll want a decent base layer, something like a merino wool one, or I wear an Outwet one. Then a long sleeved jersey, ideally thermal. I use Santini H2o stuff, but it will depend on budget. Beyond that it will depend on what weather you are riding in. If you intend to ride in wet weather you'll want a gilet or jacket.

Definitely jersey over the bibs!
    Ridley Orion
  • peat
    peat Posts: 1,242
    I get by with tights, sports top tucked in with either a winter jersey or soft-shell jacket over the top. Also a set of the Aldi winter gloves and a little dhb skull-cap for the noggin when it gets reeaallly cold.

I would like some bib's but i worry that my strange build (small torso, gangley legs) will make the fit difficult.
  • Sprool
    Sprool Posts: 1,022
    Cheap Aldi winter cycling tights are keeping me pretty warm for very little outlay, though the waist elastic needed bringing in a bit. Got some really decent seal skinz gloves now which keep the hands warm. Aldi compression undershirt is also good fro the money, then a berghaus wicking t-shirt and a winter jersey over that. Top off with a cheap buff from Millets you can use to keep neck/head warm as necessary. Oh and 2 pairs of sports socks and the vents on my cycling shoes taped up with gaffa tape.
  • LegendLust
    LegendLust Posts: 1,022
    Get seperate gear, To make the most of your winter riding I'd suggest the following

Under helmet skull cap
    Good long sleeve base layer (I find the Under Armour ones are excellent)
    Thermal/Roubaix long sleeve cycling top
    Outer shell - could be a gilet or a jacket ideally windproof
    Roubaix Bibtights (you could buy some bib shorts and wear these under bibtights without an insert)
    Good thermal cycling socks
    Overshoes
    Good cycling specific gloves

http://www.prendas.co.uk/ are excellent for good value socks, gloves and overshoes

Wiggle's own dHB brand is good value kit for the other items.
  • Short sleeve jerseys tend to be made for the weather in which they are used, and therefore tend to do the opposite of what you want in cold weather; it's not a matter of 'short-sleeve jersey + armwarmers = winter jersey'. The wind chill is what will make you cold; therefore something windproof (winter jersey, jacket, gilet, etc) will really benefit you.

Beyond that there are a few ways to do the job, and there definitely isn't a single 'right' one; let no-one tell you otherwise. I wouldn't particularly advise that you opt for base layers unless you want to use them like underwear (which is what they basically are) and therefore buy several to allow daily changes. I don't have that sort of money myself, so I just use my one short-sleeve jersey under my warm long-sleeve jersey, and bibshorts with unpadded bibtights over the top. This works very well. Overshoes are a good idea but I've never yet succumbed to them, windproof gloves are nice but a bit of a luxury (I just use fleece gloves from the market over my mitts), and a cap is an excellent thing for a cyclist to wear whatever the season.

If I were to single anything out, it would be the jersey and the tights. You really need to get these right. Some people will tell you to get base, mid and outer layers, but for most weather in this country in which you will actually be cycling, you shouldn't need all that. Be sceptical of anything that purports to be waterproof and breathable; these are two properties that are hard to find in the same place, and you'll either end up no dryer because of the rain or because of sweat, with a much lighter wallet!
  • MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    I was out on Sunday morning 5C, wet and windy. I was wearing Endurance Equipe bib longs, long sleeved merino base layer, Santini H2O long sleeved jersey, full finger gloves and overshoes. I was plenty warm enough, but much colder and I'd have put a wind stopper jacket on.
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • LegendLust
    LegendLust Posts: 1,022
    Short sleeve jerseys tend to be made for the weather in which they are used, and therefore tend to do the opposite of what you want in cold weather; it's not a matter of 'short-sleeve jersey + armwarmers = winter jersey'. The wind chill is what will make you cold; therefore something windproof (winter jersey, jacket, gilet, etc) will really benefit you.

Beyond that there are a few ways to do the job, and there definitely isn't a single 'right' one; let no-one tell you otherwise. I wouldn't particularly advise that you opt for base layers unless you want to use them like underwear (which is what they basically are) and therefore buy several to allow daily changes. I don't have that sort of money myself, so I just use my one short-sleeve jersey under my warm long-sleeve jersey, and bibshorts with unpadded bibtights over the top. This works very well. Overshoes are a good idea but I've never yet succumbed to them, windproof gloves are nice but a bit of a luxury (I just use fleece gloves from the market over my mitts), and a cap is an excellent thing for a cyclist to wear whatever the season.

If I were to single anything out, it would be the jersey and the tights. You really need to get these right. Some people will tell you to get base, mid and outer layers, but for most weather in this country in which you will actually be cycling, you shouldn't need all that. Be sceptical of anything that purports to be waterproof and breathable; these are two properties that are hard to find in the same place, and you'll either end up no dryer because of the rain or because of sweat, with a much lighter wallet!

Depends what weather people cycle in. I go out in all weathers so dress accordingly. The list I put up has come about through the experience of 20 odd years cycling.
  • LegendLust wrote:
    Depends what weather people cycle in.

Exactly. When this country gets coldest many people do not cycle, and therefore do not need the most heavy duty of kit. I tend to assume that they are in the majority and not the minority, and we both know that newbie cyclists love to buy lots of posh kit whether they need it or not.

But I firmly believe that something wicking and preferably warm against your skin (eg. jersey, base layer), with something warm and windproof (winter jersey, jacket) over the top, should be good enough for most. Maybe if you ride in the highlands 365 days a year you will need a base layer, a mid layer, a top layer and a jacket, along with dedicated winter cycling shoes with posh socks and overshoes, winter gloves, and other things besides, but if you don't, chances are you won't.

And if you want to play the 'I've been cycling for...' game, a certain cyclist in my immediate family has been at it for somewhat longer than 20 years, and his setup is about level with mine; if not a bit more basic in some cases!
  • Burt25
    Burt25 Posts: 117
    Short sleeve jerseys tend to be made for the weather in which they are used, and therefore tend to do the opposite of what you want in cold weather; it's not a matter of 'short-sleeve jersey + armwarmers = winter jersey'. The wind chill is what will make you cold; therefore something windproof (winter jersey, jacket, gilet, etc) will really benefit you.

Simon, Can I ask why the padded bib shorts with bib tights over them? Why not just wear padded bib tights?
  • Burt25 wrote:

Simon, Can I ask why the padded bib shorts with bib tights over them? Why not just wear padded bib tights?

Not much to it really; just money. I bought the bib tights on a whim as Wiggle were selling them off cheap; I'd always got by with shorts until then. If I had money, I'd almost certainly be using padded bib tights, though that would be after I had enough bib shorts; I'd rather have multiple pairs of shorts and one pair of unpadded tights.
  • BMW Phase Change jacket under some kind of wind stopper outer jacket with a good quality base layer (wool) - can't be beaten on cold days like today, IME

Just because something's for motorbikes doesn't mean it's not excellent for cycling
  • nmcgann
    nmcgann Posts: 1,780
    Personally, I'd get bib tights for the winter and worry about shorts in the spring. You'll want a decent base layer, something like a merino wool one, or I wear an Outwet one. Then a long sleeved jersey, ideally thermal. I use Santini H2o stuff, but it will depend on budget. Beyond that it will depend on what weather you are riding in. If you intend to ride in wet weather you'll want a gilet or jacket.

Definitely jersey over the bibs!
    +1 for that general layering idea.

Have a look at Prendas Cyclismo - their Santini stuff is good value. This jacket http://www.prendas.co.uk/details.asp?ID=3219 is pretty good for this time of year - I wore this, a pair of their "Storm" bibtights, a helly hansen "stripe" baselayer and a light weight long sleeve jersey for a ride this sunday and I got very wet, but I was never cold.

The windproof layer is very important - it's not about staying dry, it's about not getting chilled.

As well as that layering you'll need neoprene overshoes, a skull cap to go under your helmet (or a cap if you don't wear one) and some decent long finger gloves and you'll be good to go.
    --
    "Because the cycling is pain. The cycling is soul crushing pain."