Which Cube; LTD or LTD SL?

MelM
MelM Posts: 8
edited November 2012 in MTB buying advice
Hi,

I am looking to buy a Cube hardtail, and found a good deal on both the Cube Ltd 2012 and the Cube Ltd SL 2012. I like the black anodized colour, and these are the only two models left in this colour.

I have tried the LTD and really liked it, however the SL has better forks (Reba vs Recon) and is lighter. Looking back on reviews on here the 2009 LTD Race gets a good review, but is not recommended as a beginners bike, as it is quite twitchy because it is so light. Now I am not very confident going downhill, so I was wondering if the SL is the right bike for me. It seems very similar to the 2009 LTD Race. I ride a lot in the Peak/Lakes and Wales, both trailcenters and cross-country rides (anything including Snowdon etc).

Can anyone help me with the following:
- How come the LTD SL weighs a kilo less (11.7kg vs. 12.7kg) compared to the LTD? The frames look the same?
- Would the LTD SL be more difficult to ride than the LTD, which I have tried and really like?
- Would it be better to spend the extra money on the LTD SL with the better spec, or would the LTD be a good bike to get as well?

Thanks!!

Comments

• benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    The LTDs are still twitchy. Not wanting to put you off but id look elsewhere for a bike that will inspire confidence. As to where you save the weight, mainly in the forks, tyres and wheels I suspect, but without the specs infront of me its hard to tell.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Weight wise, the frame is a small part (typically about 15-18%) of total weight, the heaviest parts are wheels/tyres and crankset.
    Both appear to have the same geometry so will ride pretty much the same, bike weight is less relevant to downhill stability than geo.
    Buy the best you can afford, cheaper than buying the second best and upgrading!

For comparison, what do you ride now.

P.S. links to specs really helps - noting that the LTD SL 26 no longer appears on cubes website.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • grenw
    grenw Posts: 804
    I've got a 2011 LTD Race (now the wife's main bike) and it's not that twitchy. It's a great light and agile XC / light trail bike - it was my first proper bike and was perfect for me. It does not though like being pointed downhill much (or so it seemed to me) - steep angles and relatively long stem. The slight geometry changes in my Canyon made a world of difference to me and I'm not the most confident descender by a long way.

If you want to tackle more of that sort of thing and aren't hugely confident then the Cube is not the bike for you. If you're sticking with XC or flowing singletrack stuff then the Cube is awesome.
  • My daughter has a Cube LTD SL and it's great, the XT brakes are fantastic and the air fork is good.
    Planet X Kaffenback 2
    Giant Trance X2
    Genesis High Latitude 2x10
    Planet X n2a
    Genesis Core 20
  • MelM
    Thanks for the replies. I used to have a Marin Nail Trail, however it got stolen earlier this year. Not sure how the geometries match, but from riding the Cube it felt more agile, which I did quite like. I rode it around the Whinlatter singletrack.

Here are the specs for both bikes:
    http://mountain-bikes.findthebest.com/c ... ube-LTD-SL

Out of interest, how does the Acid geometry compare to the LTD? Would that be a more stable bike?

Thanks again!!
  • grenw
    grenw Posts: 804
    Same geometry on Acid as LTD (head angle anyway). I think the LTD just has a lighter frame and tends to have higher spec components.
  • MelM
    Just out of interest, what would be a more confidence inspiring bike compared to the Cube? What would I be looking for in the frame geometry? Forgive my ignorance, I bought my last bike (Marin Nail Trail) purely on recommendation of a friend, never really looked at geometries etc before.
  • benpinnick
    Whats your budget?
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • concorde
    concorde Posts: 1,008
    http://www.saracen.co.uk/bikes/trail/mantra-expert

Heavier and less agile but more confidence inspiring when pointed down with it's 2 degree slacked headtube angle than and cube hardtail out there. They're all steep and very XC orientated. I feel that they're missing a trick. Either that or they don't care about what people need and know people will buy anything because the Cubes look nice and are cheap and newcomers to the sport know very little. Most want some confidence going downhil li would say so the manufacturers should start making their bikes a bit slacker! My opinion anyway!
  • aongo
    aongo Posts: 28
    Don't be too put off the Cubes, I run a 2011 Ltd Race too and don't find it that twitchy or hazardous when pointed downhill?
    Sure it's XC orientated but that makes it as efficent at hill climbing or the day-to-day work commute as it does blasting single-track, and slam the saddle and get your a*se well over the back wheel and I'll be prepared to bet that it'll get you through most white knuckle descents you can throw it down!

I can't see the exact differences between the newer Ltd and Ltd SL models (is one a 29er???) but go for the best you can afford I guess!
  • MelM
    Thanks for all the advice! I am leaning towards the CUBE LTD SL. I rode the LTD a few weeks ago around Winlatter and thought it was fine. And the main weight saving seems to be in the fork, which surely is a plus? Perhaps being a woman it is not too bad if the bike feels a bit more agile and lighter? My old Marin always felt a bit heavy to me.

My budget is up to £1000, roughly. The Saracen looks good too, hmm, still not completely sure..

Thanks guys, and any more advice - keep it coming!
  • benpinnick
    For your budget, Id look for a discounted Genesis Core 40 (2011) or Core 26.4 / 26.5 (2012). you should be able to match the Cube spec but its a much nicer geometry bike (IMHO).
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • Depends what you ride most.
    I do lots of day-long rides, 'up hills and down dales' type stuff. My Cube LTD SL fit the bill perfectly.
    But if I was doing trail centres all the time, I would want something different (the last time, I borrowed someone's FS).
    2007 Felt Q720 (the ratbike)
    2012 Cube Ltd SL (the hardtail XC 26er)
    2014 Lapierre Zesty TR 329 (the full-sus 29er)
  • I got the LTD SL the other week, going from a Marin Bolinas Ridge the ride difference is amazing. I've done Dalby (Red) a couple of times now and it really is a breeze. As someone has said before the bike is really light and i find this to be an advantage especially on climbs and can't say i've noticed it been twitchy!! The ride positioning seems to suit my frame better, i have come off a couple of times but this is more to it been muddy/slippy than anything else.

Specs are as follows

Features.
    Frame: Alu Superlite AMF 6061 Double Butted, RFR-Geometry, Disc only frame.
    Forks: Rock Shox Reba RL 100mm, Motion Control, PopLoc forks.
    Headset: FSA No.10 semi-integrated headset.
    Stem: Easton EA30 Oversized stem.
    Bars: Easton EA30 Lowriser Oversized handlebars.
    Grip: CUBE Performance Grip.
    Rear Mech: Shimano Deore XT RD-M780 Shadow 10-speed rear derailleur.
    Front Mech: Shimano Deore XT FD-M780 Top Swing, 34.9mm, 10-speed front derailleur.
    Shifters: Shimano SLX SL-M660-10 Rapidfire-Plus, 10-speed shifters.
    Brakes: Shimano Deore XT K-M7851 hydr. discbrake(180/160mm).
    Chainset: Shimano FC-M552 2-Piece 42x32x24T, 175mm, integrated BB, 3x10 speed chainset.
    Tyres: Schwalbe Rapid Rob Performance 2.25 tyres.
    Rims: Impac AV14 rims.
    Pedals: Fasten Alu pedals.
    Saddle: Selle Italia X1 saddle.
    Seatpost: Easton EA30 31,6mm seatpost.
    Seatclamp: Scape Varioclose 34.9mm seatclamp.

Weight ~ grey metal green 12.1 kg // black anodized 11.9 kg.

Only thing im looking at replacing are the pedals as they are a bit naff. Any questions just ask.
  • Check out the weekly offers on the main site. The 2012 black SLs are 30% off at Winstanleys in all sizes.
    2007 Felt Q720 (the ratbike)
    2012 Cube Ltd SL (the hardtail XC 26er)
    2014 Lapierre Zesty TR 329 (the full-sus 29er)
  • MelM
    I have put a deposit down for a LTD SL with Winstanleys. I get it on the bike to work scheme so just have to wait for the voucher to come through. After reading all your advice I reckon it is the best choice, and hopefully the weight difference will only be an advantage.

I will let you know how I get on with it, can't wait to get it now!