Which Spd pedals? M530 or Xt trail?

lawman
lawman Posts: 6,868
edited November 2012 in MTB buying advice
Will soon be swapping to spds after over 9 years on flats, having spent some time on the road bike and turbo trainer at home I think its the way forward. Have narrowed it down to two choices, crank bro's are a no go zone as I've seen far too many failures on their pedals, so its shimano all the way.

Are the xt trails worth the extra over the m530's? I could fit both bikes with 530's for the cost of one set of xt's, but if the xt's are a better bet then swapping between bikes isn't a problem? anybody used either long-term?

Comments

• I haven't ridden with either but have had ridden the M520 and XT pedals for 2 years each (over a 4year period). Both pedals were great, but the XT feel so more plush and well built. I don't know whether it was just my friend and I but the M520 cage broke. The XT are still going strong after much abuse.

My reccomendation based on the pedals I have is that if you can afford the extra cash for the XT without feeling guilty, then I'd go for the XT (but that is based on the XT vs M520).
    Giant XTC SE 2006
    Cube LTD Race 2009
    Trek Fuel EX 9
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    Have got 530s some 785s and some 975s. The specs would imply there's not a lot of difference between any of them apart from a few grams and maybe some better bearings but in practice they are as different as Deore/XT/XTR shifters for example.

The 530s are good and workmanlike if a little primitive in looks and feel. Not sure what it is and if you've never experienced other SPDs you won't notice but they just feel clunky and basic and built to a price.

The 785s are probably the best bet £45 from CRC they are realistically everything most people would want out of a SPD pedal. Great quality, they feel OK and work fine. Have had them since May last year (early adopter!) no problems at all.

But the 975s are better. Compared to the 785s they are noticeably smoother and curiously stiffer - comparing them back-to-back the 975s don't flex like 785s do when you stand up. It's marginal but the difference is there you can feel that the pedal axle stays straight as you turn the cranks. In terms of weight it's only 7g or something like that but 975s are £85. Worth £40 more? Probably not but there is a difference.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I have some Ritcheys (Shimano compatable) and they are great, much better than my 520's or the 540's I tried, smoother in/out clipping but same retention.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • lawman
    I have some Ritcheys (Shimano compatable) and they are great, much better than my 520's or the 540's I tried, smoother in/out clipping but same retention.

Ritchey are out, I think I'll prefer the platform of shimanos "trail" spd's due to using flats for so long, looking like it could be the xt's then!
  • camerauk
    camerauk Posts: 1,000
    lawman wrote:

Ritchey are out, I think I'll prefer the platform of shimanos "trail" spd's due to using flats for so long, looking like it could be the xt's then!

what about these at a great price
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=67219
    Specialized Camber Expert
    Specialized Allez Sport
  • lawman
    camerauk wrote:
    lawman wrote:

what about these at a great price
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=67219

Exactly the ones I mentioned!! Currently sat in my basket and just seeing what the fine people of this forum had to say about either of them!! Looking like the xt's are worth the extra, and at that price its a steal!
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    lawman wrote:
    ...think I'll prefer the platform of shimanos "trail" spd's
    If your SPD shoes are moderately stiff, you won't feel the platform at all. The platform (which is more of a cage) sits lower than the SPD mechanism and because the pedals are designed to work with all SPD shoes they feel the same as any other SPD pedal.

The cage has its uses when flipping the pedals round to clip in but apart from getting in the way on rocks and roots it doesn't actually do anything while riding.
  • lawman
    .blitz wrote:
    lawman wrote:
    ...think I'll prefer the platform of shimanos "trail" spd's
    If your SPD shoes are moderately stiff, you won't feel the platform at all. The platform (which is more of a cage) sits lower than the SPD mechanism and because the pedals are designed to work with all SPD shoes they feel the same as any other SPD pedal.

The cage has its uses when flipping the pedals round to clip in but apart from getting in the way on rocks and roots it doesn't actually do anything while riding.

I'll be using shimano mp66's, and I've heard they abit of give in the soles, i haven't actually got them yet. All the reviews I've read have said its great for when you want to clip back in and for abit more support when un-clipped, they sound like exactly what I'd want tbh