How to: Wips???

irvs
irvs Posts: 204
edited November 2012 in MTB general
Afternoon everyone, I'm stuck trying to do "wips" how is everyone kicking the back wheel out in mid air??? I've been jumping higher and further now want to add a bit more fun into the jump.

Thanks Neil.

Comments

• craigw99
    craigw99 Posts: 224
    this will prob not be the best of descriptions but here goes ... when taking off if you kinda turn your shoulders in the oppsite direction you want the back to go then turn back to straighten up
    opinions are worth exactly what you pay for them ;-)
    2012 boardman team F/S tarting has begun..
    1992 cannondale m1000 still going just
  • bluechair84
    bluechair84 Posts: 4,352
    A simple whip would just be to push the back end out with your foot as if you were doing a sidehop. A motowhip needs more rotation, so try turning left or right as you go off the jump, let the whole bike come around that way mid air then dive the nose back straight and down.
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    "whip".
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    craigw99 wrote:
    this will prob not be the best of descriptions but here goes ... when taking off if you kinda turn your shoulders in the oppsite direction you want the back to go then turn back to straighten up

That's a really crappy description.

Try this - http://mpora.com/videos/eoCXjQnrF
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • As chubs would say 'it's all in the hips'
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    As chubs would say 'it's all in the hips'

:lol::lol: Legend
  • irvs
    Cheers for the tips lads, sure will be fun trying to wip the bike out this weekend, bets on how many times I fall off lol?

Neil.
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    WHIP!!!!!

Not wip.

And remember it isn't a whip if you dont straighten the bike back out before landing. It also isn't any good for the wheel if you dont straighten it back out.
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • ilovedirt
    And remember it isn't a whip if you dont straighten the bike back out before landing. It also isn't any good for the wheel if you dont straighten it back out.
    It is, just not a good one...
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • bluechair84
    bluechair84 Posts: 4,352
    WHIP!!!!!
    And remember it isn't a whip if you dont straighten the bike back out before landing.

Maybe that is a wip, short for wipe-out :)
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    Whips are fun.

I'm just sayin'.

Being the childish adult i am i will admit to having a poster of Cedric Gracia doing a huge whip on my wall 8)
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Try practising on a hip first, it feels a bit easier
  • irvs
    Haha I'm sure there will be a LOT of wips (wipe-outs) done this weekend but isn't that the biggest part of learning, pushing the bike and you to get the most "fun" out of our sport ??

Neil.
  • ilovedirt
    Whips are fun.

I'm just sayin'.

Being the childish adult i am i will admit to having a poster of Cedric Gracia doing a huge whip on my wall 8)
    The one from MBUK? I have the same one.
    I can't whip and I refuse to learn, mainly because pre-teen racer boys put me off. "if you can't whip, you're not a good rider" etc.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    ilovedirt wrote:
    Whips are fun.

I'm just sayin'.

The one from MBUK? I have the same one.
    I can't whip and I refuse to learn, mainly because pre-teen racer boys put me off. "if you can't whip, you're not a good rider" etc.
    Aye that one.
    I've rarely found jumps big enough to do proper whips on unfortunately. Everything here is big but doesnt have much airtime/