How to keep hands clean when repairing rear puncture?

Bustacapp
Bustacapp Posts: 971
edited November 2012 in Road beginners
I recently suffered my first puncture. It was on the rear and was about a mile from home so decided to walk the bike back and fix it there as I didn't want to get chain oil on my hands and then subsequently all over the white bar tape. I was just wondering if it would be worth getting some of those disposable(and free) plastic gloves from a petrol station and stuffing them into my saddle bag such an occasion occur futher from home. I was just wondering if anyone had any better solutions?

Comments

• Yip, gloves in the back pocket, saddle bag, jersey bag. I use those thin rubber gloves myself. I use them when cleaning the bike too.
  • Bozman
    Bozman Posts: 2,518
    Buy a box of 100 latex gloves for a fiver and put a couple in your pocket, use them when you're cleaning your bike too.
  • zx6man
    zx6man Posts: 1,092
    +1 for the rubber/latex gloves, cost a few quid for 100 pairs, always have a few in my pack. that and baby wipes (good for white bar tape) and you are clean as a whistle....
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    Get nitrile rubber gloves, not latex. They're more resistant to solvents and less likely to provoke an allergic reaction.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • peat
    peat Posts: 1,242
    I always keep a pair on me for repairs/burglaries/moiders.

'Bloody Handy' as i always say. Guffaw.
  • DesWeller wrote:
    Get nitrile rubber gloves, not latex. They're more resistant to solvents and less likely to provoke an allergic reaction.
    +1 - plus agree that baby wipes are very good at removing all manner of sh!te from all manner of things.
    A person who aims at nothing is sure to hit it

Canyon Aeroad 7.0 summer missile
    Trek 2.1 winter hack
  • zx6man
    zx6man Posts: 1,092
    Hang on, Busta admitted in another thread that he tucks his bottoms into his socks, should we actually offering assistance to him ? :-)
  • zx6man wrote:
    Hang on, Busta admitted in another thread that he tucks his bottoms into his socks, should we actually offering assistance to him ? :-)

he can just wipe his hands on the top of his socks then. :)
  • t.m.h.n.e.t
    t.m.h.n.e.t Posts: 2,265
    I "borrow" surgical gloves from work and keep a few pairs in my saddlebag
  • lotus49
    lotus49 Posts: 763
    The ones you can swipe from a petrol station will sort of work but they don't fit properly and it's hard to feel what you're doing.

Get some latex ones, they are much better and they are pretty cheap.
  • where sells said gloves?
  • dai_t75
    dai_t75 Posts: 189
    Bustacapp wrote:
    where sells said gloves?

Everytime I come to this forum I end up buying something!

I just picked up 50 latex gloves from fleabay for £3.69 delivered which seems reasonable. You can get 100 from amazon as well for about a fiver.

Just search for latex or nitrile gloves, depending on what you are after.
  • Yes; good idea. I use latex-free ones (rubber washing up gloves seem to give me rashes), personally. What I spend in gloves I save in swarfega! :lol:
  • farrina
    farrina Posts: 360
    DesWeller wrote:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B008NIRXRY/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i0

Perfect to tuck into bag under saddle - nothing worse than oil on ones hands for the rest of the ride.

Regards

Alan
    Regards
    Alan
  • Get the 'ultra safe' variety of nitrile gloves, not the Featherlite variety that have a habit of bursting/splitting when you least expect or want it to happen.
  • ShutUpLegs
    ShutUpLegs Posts: 3,522
    Golfing gloves
  • Although I always carry a pair of latex gloves in the saddlebag, I never really have any problems fixing a rear puncture without getting messy.

Flip the bike upside down, pull on the rear arm with one finger and lift the wheel out with my bare hand. Sure, the rim might be a bit mucky but nothing that cannot be solved. I use a Crank brothers speed lever which means holding the tyre to pull it back, insert the level and clip at the axle without touching anything except the tyre. Spin the level around and the tyre is off and the innertube is out. Wipe hands on grass after fixing and they are nearly clean, and after washing gloves on return home, there's not a mark in sight.

If you're repairing a puncture, there is no reason at all to touch anything with oil on it, other than a slight touch on the rear arm, so if you're really precious use a discarded packet or even a leaf. No reason to touch the chain, or the cassette at all.
  • jonomc4
    jonomc4 Posts: 891
    I just nick a few pair of cheap plastic gloves from a petrol station - fine for a one off use - or if I want to spopil myself I grab a few lates one when I am in a hospital

I am cheap -- ooohh Morien.