Wiggins burns on bonfire

2»

Comments

• Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
    Well I can certainly understand wanting to burn Mitt Romney but Wiggins? Also Geri Halliwell? Has she actually done anything in the last 5 years? Wierd choice...
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,569
    There were some strange choices this year such as the Queen and Neil Armstrong.

It appears that Geri Halliwell sung at the closing ceremony, so this effigy must be about the Olympics as a whole. Wiggins seems a reasonable choice for that. Still not sure about the guy - think it must be someone involved in the Olympics.
  • TheBigBean
    Alan A wrote:

Ah I see, Mitt Romney openly criticised the preparation for the Olympics (good thing Google). Wiggins therefore gets to stamp on him to symbolise that Romney (as is quite frequent it seems) was wrong. However, the whole Olympics gets burnt for the usual waste of money argument.

Thanks for the help in solving this one.
  • andy_wrx
    andy_wrx Posts: 3,396
    Is it not Jaques Rogge and (a rather younger version of) the Queen?
    - Olympics, wearing a crown..
  • nathancom
    nathancom Posts: 1,567
    They look like they are off to a local satanic orgy for local people.
  • Paul 8v
    This lot seem to be a bit bloody random, especially since it takes Poirot to work out the reason behind their flaming effigies!
  • timoid.
    timoid. Posts: 3,133
    TheBigBean wrote:
    afx237vi wrote:

What's with the blackface dude on the right?

They are dressed as smugglers (that's what the stripey jumpers are about), so a lot of people paint their faces as well. I'm not sure whether it represents camouflage, dirt from crawling through tunnels or gunpowder, but that's what people think smugglers looked like.

Generally, there is quite an array of fancy dress going on, and I recommend the evening if anyone is in the neck of the woods.

Hmmm, as a catholic I might just give this one a miss. Might as well ask an African American to go to a Klan rally.
    It's a little like wrestling a gorilla. You don't quit when you're tired. You quit when the gorilla is tired.
  • TheBigBean
    Timoid. wrote:
    Hmmm, as a catholic I might just give this one a miss. Might as well ask an African American to go to a Klan rally.

I think it is more like asking a white European / American to attend an anti-slavery commemoration. It all depends on your view.
  • timoid.
    TheBigBean wrote:
    Timoid. wrote:

I think it is more like asking a white European / American to attend an anti-slavery commemoration. It all depends on your view.

Burning crosses? Check
    People wearing hooded robes? Check
    Anti-catholic slogans? Check
    Burning of catholic effigies? Check

Still sounds like the Klan to me. Just a different target.

A horrible horrible tradition.
    It's a little like wrestling a gorilla. You don't quit when you're tired. You quit when the gorilla is tired.
  • cal_stewart
    cal_stewart Posts: 1,840
    TheBigBean wrote:
    Timoid. wrote:

don't know like 1 to 1.5 million European slaves when took between the 16th and 19th by Barbary pirates. also the word slave comes from slav.

But I get your point :lol:
    eating parmos since 1981

Canyon Ultimate CF SLX Aero 09
    Cervelo P5 EPS
    www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40044&t=13038799
  • TheBigBean
    Timoid. wrote:
    TheBigBean wrote:
    Timoid. wrote:

Burning crosses? Check

I think you misunderstand the event. It is not anti-catholic - it is anti the Marian persecutions. It is not against the current pope it is against Pope Paul V. It is not about burning crosses as a representation of Catholicism - it is about burning the crosses on which the martyrs were originally burnt.

There is a substantial difference between commemorating the appalling crimes of the past and a modern day witch hunt against someone based on the colour of their skin or their religion. Overall, I find it more offensive that the Catholic church (and most other religions) would like to forget about its past crimes than some small community in Sussex wishes to commemorate an unsavoury event. But as I said, it all depends on your point of view, and if a reminder of the past is offensive, then you would be wise to give it a miss.
  • fleshtuxedo
    fleshtuxedo Posts: 1,857
    To the People of Lewes:

HAPPY NOW???
  • timoid.
    TheBigBean wrote:
    Timoid. wrote:
    TheBigBean wrote:
    Timoid. wrote:

Burning crosses? Check

I think you misunderstand the event. It is not anti-catholic - it is anti the Marian persecutions. It is not against the current pope it is against Pope Paul V. It is not about burning crosses as a representation of Catholicism - it is about burning the crosses on which the martyrs were originally burnt.

There is a substantial difference between commemorating the appalling crimes of the past and a modern day witch hunt against someone based on the colour of their skin or their religion. Overall, I find it more offensive that the Catholic church (and most other religions) would like to forget about its past crimes than some small community in Sussex wishes to commemorate an unsavoury event. But as I said, it all depends on your point of view, and if a reminder of the past is offensive, then you would be wise to give it a miss.

Not anti-catholic?

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR9dtHz0nvP621i4F81bfugjmRmRgyIzndrupQgXCMply86QKo3SQ

Quite.

Wonder why the Bonfire societies were formed in the 1850s? Co-incided with the re-establishment of Catholic bishoprics in 1850.

I suggest you learn your history.
  • dougzz
    dougzz Posts: 1,833
    Belittling and offending any religious (cult) group gets my vote.
  • TheBigBean
    My original question has been answered, so I think I will leave this thread now.
  • Voodooo :evil: :twisted:
  • natrix
    natrix Posts: 1,111
    oneof1982 wrote:
    Voodooo :evil: :twisted:

Well, Wiggo's just been knocked off his bike, so it certainly looks like it :twisted:
    ~~~~~~Sustrans - Join the Movement~~~~~~
  • Paul 8v
    Maybe it was one of this lot hunting him down....
  • Timoid. wrote:
    TheBigBean wrote:
    Timoid. wrote:
    TheBigBean wrote:
    Timoid. wrote:

Burning crosses? Check

Not anti-catholic?

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR9dtHz0nvP621i4F81bfugjmRmRgyIzndrupQgXCMply86QKo3SQ

Quite.

Wonder why the Bonfire societies were formed in the 1850s? Co-incided with the re-establishment of Catholic bishoprics in 1850.

I suggest you learn your history.
    What's horrible or wrong about criticising Catholics/the pope? They do sort of bring it upon themselves.