Cheetahs - 5.95 seconds for the 100m dash

Hoopdriver
Hoopdriver Posts: 2,023
edited November 2012 in The cake stop
For the past eighteen months I have been working on a story for National Geographic on cheetahs - one of those long term projects that i lived with constantly, and which took me all over Africa and the Middle East and to Cincinnati, of all places, where I took part in a photo shoot to help capture what are the finest images ever taken of a cheetah running at full speed. This month, at long last, the story is out - to my great joy and relief.

As the proud creator of this story I have written a post on the making of it, and the story behind the elaborate photo shoot in Cincinnati (arguably the costliest, most elaborate photo shoot in the magazine's history) in which one of the cheetahs - an 11 year old named Sarah - clocked 5.95 seconds for standing hundred meters, the fastest 100m time ever recorded by anything on legs. (although I have seen cheetahs in the wild hit faster speeds)

You can read my On Assignment post here:

http://my-bicycle-and-i.co.uk/2012/fast-cats/

Comments

• nweststeyn
    nweststeyn Posts: 1,574
    I just got the new issue of NatGeo and then came on here to find this! Awesome stuff... will read it all tonight then report back ;)
  • willhub
    willhub Posts: 821
    Bolt won't be liking this news, he'll be wanting a match against this cheetah :lol:
  • mr_goo
    mr_goo Posts: 3,770
    I have read your article in the latest edition of National Geographic. Fascinating facts and figures, and beautiful photos. Such a shame that these wonderful big cats are on the verge and that the wealthy Arabs seem to have no regard for this and buy them as trophy pets.
    Many years ago my wife and I were fortunate enough to see a pair of cheetahs sitting on a 'lookout' mound in Tsavo East. Even better was that our vehicle was the only one in the area, unlike one of the photos in you feature.
    You are very lucky to have such an interesting job. Keep up the great work and I look forward to reading your next project.
    BTW did you have anything involvement with the previous months story on Ivory poaching?
    Always be yourself, unless you can be Aaron Rodgers....Then always be Aaron Rodgers.
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    So this cheetah has the record for any legged animal ever recorded?

What about the rest.....we know that cheetah is the top land animal for top speed but is there another with perhaps better acceleration who could beat it to 100m?
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,788
    Everytime I see your blog i want to give up mine! I should be inspired but it's so beautifully but together I wouldn't know where to start to try and get to that standard. Thanks for sharing the story too.
  • Hoopdriver
    Mr Goo wrote:
    I have read your article in the latest edition of National Geographic. Fascinating facts and figures, and beautiful photos. Such a shame that these wonderful big cats are on the verge and that the wealthy Arabs seem to have no regard for this and buy them as trophy pets.
    Many years ago my wife and I were fortunate enough to see a pair of cheetahs sitting on a 'lookout' mound in Tsavo East. Even better was that our vehicle was the only one in the area, unlike one of the photos in you feature.
    You are very lucky to have such an interesting job. Keep up the great work and I look forward to reading your next project.
    BTW did you have anything involvement with the previous months story on Ivory poaching?
    Thanks for your kind words.

No, I wasn't in on the ivory poaching story - I have been busy doing another animal oriented story in a vastly different part of the world!
  • Hoopdriver
    Daz555 wrote:
    So this cheetah has the record for any legged animal ever recorded?

What about the rest.....we know that cheetah is the top land animal for top speed but is there another with perhaps better acceleration who could beat it to 100m?
    Nothing beats a cheetah's acceleration - not even a Lamborghini. They can do 0 to 60 in under three seconds. When Sarah did her 5.95 second run I was holding the radar gun on her and within the first 30-40 metres she had already hit 61mph. She did not keep accelerating as she could see she had only to run 100 metres. Cheetahs in the wild are beleved to be able to hit or possibly exceed (by a little) 70mph. While I was researching this story I saw a female cheetah put on an absolutely incredible (but short) burst of speed in the Serengeti while chasing a Thompson gazele.
  • Hoopdriver
    inseine wrote:
    Everytime I see your blog i want to give up mine! I should be inspired but it's so beautifully but together I wouldn't know where to start to try and get to that standard. Thanks for sharing the story too.
    Thank you very much for those kind words. I put a lot of work into that blog and it makes me really happy to hear that people enjoy it. Makes it all seem worthwhile - so thank you for passing that on.
  • 5.95...that's quick. Was it tested for doping? ;-)
  • Hoopdriver
    5.95...that's quick. Was it tested for doping? ;-)
    Well, when they make a kill cheetahs do like to drink the blood - a transfusion of sorts I guess. But not even Ricco was drinking the stuff!
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    Hoopdriver wrote:
    For the past eighteen months I have been working on a story for National Geographic on cheetahs - one of those long term projects that i lived with constantly, and which took me all over Africa and the Middle East and to Cincinnati, of all places, where I took part in a photo shoot to help capture what are the finest images ever taken of a cheetah running at full speed. This month, at long last, the story is out - to my great joy and relief.

As the proud creator of this story I have written a post on the making of it, and the story behind the elaborate photo shoot in Cincinnati (arguably the costliest, most elaborate photo shoot in the magazine's history) in which one of the cheetahs - an 11 year old named Sarah - clocked 5.95 seconds for standing hundred meters, the fastest 100m time ever recorded by anything on legs. (although I have seen cheetahs in the wild hit faster speeds)

you lucky sod - great piece and good work!
  • nevman
    nevman Posts: 1,611
    You should film my whippet chasing joggers .there's only one outcome.
    Whats the solution? Just pedal faster you baby.

Summer B,man Team Carbon LE#222
    Winter Alan Top Cross
    All rounder Spec. Allez.
  • Hoopdriver
    giant man wrote:
    Hoopdriver wrote:

you lucky sod - great piece and good work!
    Thanks. I have been very lucky to land some really good assignments over the years.
  • "Nothing beats a cheetah's acceleration - not even a Lamborghini."

They don't get their prey everytime. Doesn't this suggest that some of the antelopes can accelerate even faster?
    Cheetahs running for dinner, prey running for life etc...
  • Hoopdriver
    "Nothing beats a cheetah's acceleration - not even a Lamborghini."

They don't get their prey everytime. Doesn't this suggest that some of the antelopes can accelerate even faster?
    Cheetahs running for dinner, prey running for life etc...
    No.

You forget that the antelope they are chasing have at least a 50 metre head start. They do not start right next to each other like in a 100m race. These antelope themselves are very fast, one of the fastest animals on earth. This is why the cheetah needs, and possesses, such extraorninary acceleration. They have to be able to spot one of the fastest animals on earth at least 50 metres head start and still have a reasonably good chance of beating them in a short sprint. If an antelope can keep clear for a couple hundred yards, it has probably got away. A cheetah gets winded very quickly. Their amazing acceleration really takes a lot out of them. Even when they do catch an antelope they are often so exhausted by the sorint they have to rest for anything up to 20 minutes before they can eat.
  • I thought this was another thread about Lance when I read the title.
  • Fascinating animal, think i'll pick up the magazine this month as my daughter seems obsessed with them. Think i read somewhere that the action of their stride provides respiratory action and they need to stop as they start to overheat.

Good read Hoopdriver, just an eeny weeny bit jealous ;)