26" slicks

SimonAH
SimonAH Posts: 3,730
edited November 2012 in Commuting chat
Hi guys (and gals o'course)

We've done tyres to death over the years - but always in the 700C varietal.

I built up an MTB from an old Giant frame for a colleague a while ago and he's getting into riding now - and has come to realise that knobblies may look tough but aren't a lot of use on tarmac.

So, recommendations please for 26" slicks or semi slicks that tick as many of the good boxes as possible without breaking the bank.

Cheers!
FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

Comments

• zx6man
    zx6man Posts: 1,092
    I used city jets from schwalbe, 20 quid a pair and were fine, but a few off road excursions made me change to semi Schwalbe land cruisers, again sourced them for 20 quid a pair. 2000 miles and still ok and puncture free.
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    marathon pluses?

i use to run them on my hard tail mtb before i seen the light of lycra an silly curvy handlebars
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • if he/she is attempting to be quick mean cycling macine maybe some 26inch Gatorskins?

The Marathon's are a good bet, though do give that rather dull hard ride.

What pressures is he/she running at? if they are running on the road could knock the pressures up?
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Kojaks.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • I like Conti Sport Contacts, almost a slick, fast rolling, good grip. Cheap-ish too. Worth a look for sure
    Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • jds_1981
    jds_1981 Posts: 1,858
    I used fatboys for a while ages ago. Seem to recall they were okay.
    FCN 9 || FCN 5
  • Yeah, +1 for Spesh Fatboys.

I used to run them on my old hardtail for my road commute. Sticky as hell in the dry, fair in the wet, and predictably terrible on ice.
    Canyon Roadlite
    Boardman Hybrid
    Dolan FXE
  • I've used Conti DoubleFighters before (including for touring). Tough and cost about £12 from Halfords.
    Ecrasez l’infame
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    Yep contis gatorskins all the way, they even do some pretty thin ones as well, makes a hell of a difference.
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    A mate recently bought 26" Gatorskins on my recommendation as he wanted something faster than the el cheapo knobblies he was using.
    A few days ago he complained that "Some git has slashed my front tyre!"' It turns out there were two TINY slivers of glass in the tyre and quite a few cuts (of the normal wear and tear type).
    He is hardly a keen cyclist (double bouncer BSO) and I had to teach him how to fix a flat (he's 24 FFS!), so I wouldn't be surprised if he blithely rode through a patch of broken glass and then blamed vandals.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • nich
    nich Posts: 888
    I've recently fitted conti gatorskins to my MTB (running Mavic 317 disc wheels I think)

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/con ... 6-ec001746

Fast tyres and no punctures yet :)

I did have a moment on a wet drain cover though the other week :oops:
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    zx6man wrote:
    I used city jets from schwalbe, 20 quid a pair and were fine, but a few off road excursions made me change to semi Schwalbe land cruisers, again sourced them for 20 quid a pair. 2000 miles and still ok and puncture free.

I put a pair of Land crusiers on an old MTB I use as station hack and my daughter occasionally uses for a bit of light trail stuff. They are surprising good on the road as the contact point is a continuous band of rubber, but they also have decent grip on the wet and muddy stuff as the grips on the sides come into play.
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    Thankyou all! Forwarded the thread in it's entirety to said colleague.
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • mtb-idle
    mtb-idle Posts: 2,179
    schwalbe city jets 26 x 1.5 for me on one of my MTB's that my youngest rides to work.

Howeved i then sourced some 700c wheels with disc ready hubs and swapped them over so that i can use 'proper' road tyres and he much prefers these.

21-07-2012_01.jpg
    FCN = 4
  • Schwalbe Big Apples worked very well for me on my MTB commuter, and as above I also found that 700c disc rims worked very well provided the tyres were not too tall (clearing the fork bridge!).

- Jon
    Commuting between Twickenham <---> Barbican on my trusty Ridgeback Hybrid - url=http://strava.com/athletes/125938/badge]strava[/url
  • Big_Paul
    Big_Paul Posts: 277
    Been using my MTB for commuting this week and I'm running 2.0 Kojaks, great for city riding. :D
    Disc Trucker
    Kona Ute
    Rockrider 8.1
    Evil Resident
    Day 01 Disc
    Viking Derwent Tandem
    Planet X London Road
  • Ouija
    Ouija Posts: 1,386
    if he/she is attempting to be quick mean cycling macine maybe some 26inch Gatorskins?

The Marathon's are a good bet, though do give that rather dull hard ride.

What pressures is he/she running at? if they are running on the road could knock the pressures up?

+1

The Gatorskins are the lightest and fastest, with excellent puncture protection. The Kojaks tend flat top no matter how hard you pump them up (not overly puncture proof either). The Conti Sport Contacts are reasonably good puncture wise put also tend to be a little bouncy, weather you get the 1.6 or 1.3 versions and pump them up really hard, giving slightly more rolling resistance. The Schwalbe Marathons are indestructible, with low rolling resistance... but are seriously heavy.....

Tried em all...

SaracenFront.jpg
    MaxlightSusSide.jpg
    MaxLightSide.jpg
    Kojak.jpg
    ExoticSide.jpg
  • Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    Gatorskin at 120psi at the front, Sport Contact at 100psi at the back. I like the extra grip and comfort of a wider tyre at the back. Only pain is that they need different sized tubes so I tend to carry both.

I ran Double Fighter IIs for a year or so, pretty good on both trails and tarmac but side lugs mean you can climb in mud but can't corner so hard/fast on the road. I used to run them 45-60psi for trails and 75psi for the road.

Having said all this I am enjoying my winter tyres (Snow Studs) a little too much right now, and felt held back by my brakes on a downhill section of flood damaged trail I treated myself to today. Totally changes the character of the bike, but makes me want to take the off road paths rather than feeling slow on the road.
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.