The sad realisation that your winter wardrode...

2»

Comments

• the_fuggler
    the_fuggler Posts: 1,228
    Still hankering after a Rapha soft shell, but I see that the red and grey versions are out of stock in my size and are not being restocked. Hope there are some new colours on the way as black is not ideal for this time of year
    FCN 3 / 4
  • spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    id love the rapha winter jacket but:
    1. i cant justify it
    2. i need to replace everything not just one item
    3. its so expensive
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    .........They're a good close stretchy fit too.
    Which is reason enough for me not to get one. :oops: :wink:
    One day, one day......
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • daviesee wrote:
    .........They're a good close stretchy fit too.
    Which is reason enough for me not to get one. :oops: :wink:
    One day, one day......

Scare the sheep? :wink::wink::D
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • the_fuggler
    Still hankering after a Rapha soft shell, but I see that the red and grey versions are out of stock in my size and are not being restocked. Hope there are some new colours on the way as black is not ideal for this time of year

They will be black only for the foreseeable future. Fingers crossed for the new Vulpine jackets then.
    FCN 3 / 4

• They will be black only for the foreseeable future. Fingers crossed for the new Vulpine jackets then.

*whispered voices off* "Assos, Asssssssssoooossssss....."
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • the_fuggler

They will be black only for the foreseeable future. Fingers crossed for the new Vulpine jackets then.

*whispered voices off* "Assos, Asssssssssoooossssss....."

:D - we shall see. Want to give the business to Nick at Vulpine if at all possible. Assos muscle man gives me the creeps...
    FCN 3 / 4

• :D - we shall see. Want to give the business to Nick at Vulpine if at all possible. Assos muscle man gives me the creeps...

Ah, but the Assos lady more than makes up for it :wink:

I don't want to start a whole debate but it does frustrate me when brands only do black. It's ok at night because I've got lights but it's at dusk and dawn (when many of us commuters are riding) I like a bit of colour. Seems odd that Rapha don't restock the colours
  • Paul E
    Paul E Posts: 2,052
    I like the look of Vulpine stuff, quite a bit, not as super hero looking when off the bike
  • suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    I'd love an Assos or Rapha jacket as well. But I'm too fat.

\end rant
  • Paul E wrote:
    I like the look of Vulpine stuff, quite a bit, not as super hero looking when off the bike

Looks nice though very specifically "urban"
  • Paul E
    Not what I think is urban, city commuting, urban conjures up images of trousers worn at half mast, caps on sideways and sh!te music
  • daviesee
    suzyb wrote:

\end rant
    Rapha know their market and it isn't race snakes. Mamils (Malils?) are their demographic (as well as London-centric urban stylee) and the clothes are cut to suit.
    Your purse may not thank me for that tidbit. :wink:
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    edited November 2012
    daviesee wrote:
    suzyb wrote:

\end rant
    Rapha know their market and it isn't race snakes. Mamils (Malils?) are their demographic (as well as London-centric urban stylee) and the clothes are cut to suit.

Their sizing can be hit and miss though. I should be a medium according to their size guide and although their jackets fit fine their medium jerseys hang off me.

Wore my Rapha winter gloves for the first time today. I hope the palms soften up over time as I felt like I was fighting them for the whole ride. Hands ached my the time I got home.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    daviesee wrote:
    suzyb wrote:

\end rant
    It may be targeted towards mamils but not their female equivalent (mawils?). No sportswear company seems to tbh as very few go bigger than a size 16.

Except Altura who seem to want to target large women and not only make the clothes to fit us, they make sure they are sized at least a size smaller than they actually are :lol:
  • Paul E
    I can say that the dhb vaeon bib shorts fit very well, the pad feel very good and they were warm on the way home on their own without causing me to sweat at all. actually looking forward to more coldness now.
  • I'll echo everything MRS has said. My Assos stuff seems to be indestructible.

Glove system - awesome. Evo tops can be worn from autumn to winter - just add a gilet it need be. The Airblock jacket is toasty warm. Roubaix pad less tights (two pairs) get rotated over cheapie bib shorts. Windproof padless tights cover the really cold days (roubaix under windproofs cover the really really cold days). Oh, and toe warmers are very good for days when you don't want to bootie up.

This lot seemed ridiculously expensive when I bought it/used Xmas present allowances for it. But it has genuinely been awesomely hard wearing.

Eta: it helps that I seem to be bang on an Assos size, so everything fits as if it were made for me. I love the way it feels slightly odd on you when you walk around, but when you assume a roadie position on the bike, all the slack and tight areas of fabric are in exactly the right places.
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • daviesee
    I think there needs to be clarification on "cold".
    Saying it is cold is meaningless without perspective. At least a mention of the temperatures above/below normal involved.
    I don't think any of my commutes have been done in anything above 5 degrees since mid September and some have been sub zero. I don't mean for this to come over all "Southern Softies" as there is the issue of what you are used to, but clearly some people's current experiences are way off mine.
    The time for me to be wearing shorts and sweating on my commute are a long way off. :cry:
  • The biggest challenge I have isn't so much the cold but the change in temperature from morning to evening. Dressing for it so I don't freeze in the morning and boil in the evening or end up carrying loads of spare clothes home (gloves, overshoes, leg warmers, gilets, baselayers)
  • daviesee
    I don't find that too bad.
    Overshoes, gloves and hat don't take up too much space. The biggest issue is if it is warm and wet. The Gore Phantom doesn't take up much space but if I have to swap it for the Winter Jacket then the bag gets a bit bulky.
    If I don't think that tights will be required later then chances are I will have S/S jersey & arm warmers instead of the Winter Jacket.
  • It's the days when it's freezing at 7am and 10C at 6pm. For me, that's from winter jacket, longs (warmers or tights), full gloves, overshoes - to shorts, short sleeves, fingerless gloves. I'd be carrying more than I'm wearing.
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    Just ordered some Leg warmers, will get some more longs at some point (my B'day is coming up and hints have been dropped) but as I have an abundance of Roubaix bib shorts the leg warmers should be a good match.
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • daviesee
    It's the days when it's freezing at 7am and 10C at 6pm. For me, that's from winter jacket, longs (warmers or tights), full gloves, overshoes - to shorts, short sleeves, fingerless gloves. I'd be carrying more than I'm wearing.
    Which is why I got an expandable bag.
    FWIW I find this time of year much more predictable (cold) than say May when there can be a ground frost at 06:30 and 18 degrees at 18:00.
  • I want to get away without a bag - I despise having a bag on my back when cycling
  • the_fuggler
    Paul E wrote:

I think the new jackets (due shortly) will be a bit more varied. I'm hoping for something slightly more towards the cycling-end of the scale, but I don't really mind too much. In winter, I just want to be warm rather than being cold but fast.
    FCN 3 / 4
  • Paul E wrote:

I think the new jackets (due shortly) will be a bit more varied. I'm hoping for something slightly more towards the cycling-end of the scale, but I don't really mind too much. In winter, I just want to be warm rather than being cold but fast.

I saw that one of the new items was a Harrington jacket (takes me back to the 80's) - that seemed to confirm Vulpine's urban credentials (using urban vs rural). I don't blame them - urban cycling is definitely a growth market. I'm more fussy about my winter gear for sure - it has to earn its keep
  • the_fuggler
    I think your winters are slightly harsher than mine, so that makes sense! I'm also a social cyclist (i.e. rides always end in the pub!) so that mix and match approach is good for me. Let's see what the next week brings!

I can't make head nor tail of the new names for the Assos jackets - lovely though they look.
    FCN 3 / 4
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    spasypaddy wrote:
    4 pairs of tights:
    2 have massive rips on the ars* panels
    2 have no zippers left
    (

Have you been in Las Vegas recently? :shock: