convert to double chainring

danlightbulb
danlightbulb Posts: 701
edited November 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi,

Is it possible to convert my triple chainring to a double by removing the largest ring? Also thought about fitting a bashguard. Its a shimano deore triple as found on the RR8.1 http://www.decathlon.co.uk/81-2012-id_8168918.html.

If its possible, what do I need to buy to do it, and would a DIY job be cheaper than just buying a double?

Cheers

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Yes just remove the ring and set the high limit screw to stop the mech moving too far. You'll need either a bash ring or shorter chaining bolts
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • It'll cost less than a tenner and take less than 10 mins if you just buy shorter bolts. What are you hoping to achieve though?

(You can do it for free if you convert your big ring to a bashguard by taking the teeth off with an angle-grinder). But unless a bashguard is your reason all you have done is reduce your gear range for the sake of a few grams
  • My reason is trying to improve ground clearance. Is this a good enough reason?
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    will give you not much better clearance.

what are you riding that get the rings catching?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Gain in clearance will be less than an inch from circa 5.5" on a typical bike (about 12.5" BB height) to 6.5" assuming you don't then run a bash which will then claw back upto 1/2".
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    So why is everyone going to a 22/36t double and bash then, if it makes no difference to clearance? It seems to be the most commonly cited reason. Is it just to be cool? :?
  • nicklouse wrote:
    will give you not much better clearance.

Oh, I may not do it then. That was my only reason. I never use the big ring.
    nicklouse wrote:
    what are you riding that get the rings catching?

Nothing in particular, but for some reason its always on my mind when taking any sort of moderate (rollable) drop / step. Its been this way since I came off on the degla skills section a couple of months ago (caught my chainring on the level 3 rock drop off and hurt myself quite badly).
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    njee20 wrote:
    So why is everyone going to a 22/36t double and bash then, if it makes no difference to clearance? It seems to be the most commonly cited reason. Is it just to be cool? :?

I run a guide rather than a bash. would not really want to clober it on a rock as it would not hold up to much.

infact i have rarely cought a bash on anything.

Oh and the Hammershmit was just to be cool :P
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    njee20 wrote:
    I just bought a Kona bash on Ebay on a whim one Sunday night, so had to take the big ring off to fit it.
    Can't say I've missed it much and now I look uberad and gnarrly. And cool obviously.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    My local rides involve frequant hoiking of bikes over fallen logs, so a bash gives me peace of mind against bending/breaking a chainwheel tooth off.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.