New Giant Defy 1 2012

jfrankland1991
jfrankland1991 Posts: 100
edited November 2012 in Road beginners
I have managed to get my hands on a Giant Defy 1 2012, been looking for one almost everywhere for weeks! I had my first ride out on it at the weekend and at first glance it seem like a great bike and I'm chuffed to bits with it.

I have fitted it with the Giant Defy specific mudguards which seem to work quite well for the wet and dirty English winter roads! I have a further budget of around £200 in which to spend on clothing and other accessories. I have got a few things already having been a keen cyclist for a few years. However, this is my first foray with a proper road bike having upgraded from a Ridgeback Velocity but I thought I had better look a bit more professional!

New Cycling Computer (Velo 8 Wireless £35, need one that can fit the Defy frame as clearance is small between forks and wheel).

Clipless Pedals and Shoes.

Spare Inner Tubes

Tools?

Wind / Shower Proof Jacket

Tights / Leggings

Jerseys - Long / Short Sleeved

Bike Bag (seat bag for phone, wallet, keys, energy food, a few basic tools and spare inner tube)

Sunglasses (would like some Oakley Radars but way out of my price bracket!)

Any advice on what to get would be grateful, I have had a quick look online but there is so much choice nowadays! Also if anyone thinks of anything I have missed off the list then that would be appreciated also.

Cheers

James

Comments

• elderone
    elderone Posts: 1,410
    Get a bright coloured jacket to help you be seen this time of year.great bike choice btw.enjoy
    Dulce et decorum est Pro patria mori
  • alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872

New Cycling Computer (Velo 8 Wireless £35, need one that can fit the Defy frame as clearance is small between forks and wheel). Any road coumputer will do -> check out the Cateye strada for a nice small and sleek one

Clipless Pedals and Shoes. Shimano and Specialized do some nice budget shoes -> try some on in your LBS to get the fit right -> I used Shimano R087 which are decent for the price. I'd personally recommend SPD-SL pedals because I like the stability and large contact patch due to the big cleat.. but your needs may suit MTB shoes and pedals more depending on if you want to walk in them, use the bike with normal shoes etc.

Spare Inner Tubes Anything from a well known brand will be fine

Tools? I take a pump, small 8x multitool, tyre levers, tyre patches, quick link for chain, and a chain tool in a pouch/bag in my jersey pocket

Wind / Shower Proof Jacket

Tights / Leggings

Jerseys - Long / Short Sleeved With all the clothing make sure you buy the right stuff for this time of year.. unfortunately its often the case that if you buy cheap you buy twice -> I like DHB's Autumn/Winter range for decent performance on a budget

Bike Bag (seat bag for phone, wallet, keys, energy food, a few basic tools and spare inner tube) Not really necessary, although I use one for sportives, and a continental tube bag on normal rides. Buy as small as possible though because most stuff can fit in your jersey pockets. If you do insist on getting one think about weatherproof ones..

Sunglasses (would like some Oakley Radars but way out of my price bracket!) Plenty of choice on a budget -> I got some Bloc Stealth glasses for £20 reduced from £50 the other week, DHB do some reasonable ones, BBB, Endura.. etc.

Any advice on what to get would be grateful, I have had a quick look online but there is so much choice nowadays! Also if anyone thinks of anything I have missed off the list then that would be appreciated also.

Cheers

James

Have fun emptying your bank account :mrgreen:
  • Bike Bag (seat bag for phone, wallet, keys,
    Be really, really careful with phone and keys in the same little saddle bag.

Having put my almost brand new Galaxy S3 in my saddle bag along with my keys, I now have a nasty crack across the top of its screen.

I was gutted - I was really careful putting the phone in, ensuring that nothing was going to bash it. But I made the mistake of putting the keys in the netting pocket at the end, and I reckon over a bump, the key caught the end of the S3 screen.

Insured, but a right faff to get it fixed.

BTW, check out Muddyfox gear (widely available from Amazon). Very inexpensive - I got some thick padded tights and a top, which i wear over an UnderArmour running top I had already. With a fleecy thing over the top of that, I'm warm as toast, apart from toes, and I'll be ordering some overshoes tomorrow.
    Is the gorilla tired yet?
  • ad_snow
    ad_snow Posts: 469

BTW, check out Muddyfox gear (widely available from Amazon). Very inexpensive - I got some thick padded tights and a top, which i wear over an UnderArmour running top I had already. With a fleecy thing over the top of that, I'm warm as toast, apart from toes, and I'll be ordering some overshoes tomorrow.

Also widely available from Sports Direct. They send you a large SD mug with the order so it's perfect for a big cuppa when you're back from your ride :lol:
  • ad_snow wrote:

Also widely available from Sports Direct. They send you a large SD mug with the order so it's perfect for a big cuppa when you're back from your ride :lol:
    Yes, they came up as the supplier when I was searching on Amazon. I ordered some tights and a top, and it arrived in a huge feckoff carboard box.... containing a SD catalogue (v heavy) and the mug. They must have made a loss on that order!!
    Is the gorilla tired yet?
  • thanks for all the info, does anyone know if the dhb kit is available in LBS's or just online? I'm going to pop into my LBS sometime this week to see what they have got. Might get a bike fitting as well. Would anyone recommend? Maybe when I am getting new clipless pedals to do it in one to save a bit of money?