What frame?

JMcP92
JMcP92 Posts: 339
edited November 2012 in MTB buying advice
Hello folks!

I recently bought myself a shiny new Norco, been very happy with it, loved the thing. Until it got stolen while chained up outside uni in the middle of the day, by a busy road, where there are always folk with the lock cut and..... I could rant for hours, very disappointed but lets be honest, the police never retrieve these things. As much as it angers me they have bigger fish to fry, so, lets move on.

I'm now in the market for a new bike but I'm a student, I don't have the money to buy something as much as I'd like, so as it's now winter, I'm looking at getting a frame and building from there.
I'm wanting something pretty solid, so I've been recommended Norco, Orange or Specialized, but more than willing to look outwith that. I'm needing something hardtail, but is a go anywhere type of thing. I did find a cheap Nukeproof snap, but given the low seat and it's made for jumping mainly, not the best town bike.
Anyway, I am willing to go second hand for frames, and willing to look at most things. Budget looking around £200-£300 and hoping to find myself a bargin in there, but I can't tell.

Anyone can help I much appreciate it.

Ta.
John.

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Building up from frame only will cost more than just getting a bike. I'd be tempted to save for something like this:

http://www.merlincycles.com/bike-shop/b ... -bike.html

The frame alone costs £300!
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    ebay. I don't see how your money will stretch to a build unless you go second hand and as cheap as you can - it will take a while though. As SS says you'd be best going complete bike and finding a little more money. Oh and getting some insurance.
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • JMcP92
    I thought this much, just unsure what else to look for. I did find a 21" Orange Elite frame for £250 from new, looks rather good, just still unsure. Many options to look through.
    Can anyone give me more recommendations from Norco, Specialized and Orange? I'm happy to build it (I'll end up with a better bike at the end of the day) but I'm unsure what else to look at.
  • I have just bought an on-one summer season from the sales section of the forum. It is to replace my Boardman that was stolen a few months back. Fortunately I have an old Giant Yukon with some upgrades that will be donating most bits to the new build. Is your budget of £200 - £300 just for the frame or for the entire build? A build can be expensive as it is easy to get carried away. When you are looking at buying some bits it is easy to spend an extra few quid on a better one than you originally looked at. Then by the end of the build you spent loads more than you originally set out to do. If you are in a rush buy a second hand bike that you can ride and then upgrade it slowly. You are less likely to impulse buy components if you have a running bike and aren't in a rush to complete the build. Keep an eye on the sales section on the forum for bikes and parts. Good luck!
  • supersonic
    What will be the total budget and time period for the build?
  • JMcP92
    Total budget is totally unknown at the moment, really depends if more work comes in (I work for myself so it's all relative)
    The £200-£300 is just for a frame. I'm digging through pinkbike and such like but I'm just unsure what is good and what isn't. If anyone else wants to look through pinkbike and eBay I'll be more than happy to look for advice on it. Though I must admit my heart is somewhat set on buying a frame and building up. I like building things. I've got my MX bike which I love very much, I rip that things apart for the fun of building it again :P

Let me know your advice lads :)
  • supersonic
    My advice is to still save for that Commencal! You get the rest of the bike for £150.
  • then take it apart and put it back together if you want some building fun. Everyone's a winner.
  • JMcP92
    @Supersonic, can I nae just have your Zaskar? So much awesome! :P
  • supersonic
    For 3000 quid, aye ;-)
  • JMcP92
    ...Maybe not then.

I have looked at something rather nice. The On-One 456 carbon frame. It looks a truly lovely bit of kit. New they're £500, but if I could find a used one, that'd be a winner.

Failing that. There is also such a thing as an On-One Whippet carbon frame, different geometary and such, but would also work nicely, can be had from £250-£300 new though, which does make me slightly concerned about the quality of the carbon :/ Regardless, they look rather good. Would just need to find one at a decent price :) I shall post in the wanted but it is something very specific :)

I'm a bit of a sucker for carbon, though it has it's obvious downsides :/
  • supersonic
    No downsides if built right.
  • JMcP92
    This much is true. I've seen (but nae had) the odd bad experience in MX of carbon bodywork snapping at the wrong angle, and frame guards and these kinds of things. Some lad had full carbon bodywork and sat on his rear guard to have it snap, a little silly mind, I wouldn't sit on my plastic ones. All the same, it is more than a little bit of a different situation being a frame designed to take the stresses and strains, I'd just rather nothing snapped in two while cycling :P
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    As both frames are from on-one, they are made to the same quality, ebay chinese frames are circa £175 and don't appear to suffer any more early life failures than more expensive frames.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.