I just got hit by a car.

JamesB5446
JamesB5446 Posts: 471
edited November 2012 in Commuting chat
It hurt a bit.

Nothing broken though, just a swollen ankle.

381947_10152264720075451_866874031_n.jpg

Comments

• EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    Ouch. I hope you're OK. I suggest going to hospital to check (unless you've already been), after taking your bike to your LBS to make sure it is fine fine though.

How did it happen?
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • DrLex
    DrLex Posts: 2,142
    Ouchie! GWS

Looks like A&E wheelchair and emergency scissors up the jeans leg. Don't look like cleated shoes, though...
  • Ouch again. Sorry to hear that. Hope all is ok. What's the story?
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    DrLex wrote:
    Ouchie! GWS

Looks like A&E wheelchair and emergency scissors up the jeans leg. Don't look like cleated shoes, though...
    You are more observant than me.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • I was riding home. Going straight ahead at a roundabout. She came from my left and hit me.

It was the Dutchie, not the Cinelli so all is not lost. Although the bike was pretty knacked. Given the weight of it I'm surprised her car wasn't a write off. ;)
  • Torvid
    Torvid Posts: 449
    ouch

get well soon.
    Commuter: Forme Vision Red/Black FCN 4
    Weekender: White/Black - Cube Agree GTC pro FCN 3
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    Glad your okay but fella those are some hairy toes you have :?
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • DrLex
    DrLex Posts: 2,142
    itboffin wrote:
    Glad your okay buy fella those are some hairy toes you have :?

Jeez! You not content with just shaving your legs that you have to start on his toes? He's hardly in the "hobbit" category. <file under insult to injury>
  • Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    Hairy toes is a sign of intelligence.

Get that swelling g heeled up as soon as you can. You get her details so you can put a claim in on her insurance?
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,767
    D'oh! Glad nothing is broken. Hope it heals fast and relatively painlessly. I also hope she stopped and did the decent thing.
  • Ouch sorry to hear that but glad you got off lightly, all things considered. Exactly the same thing happened to me recently, same scenario, despite epic lights, careful riding etc. I was also extremely lucky although I was fortunate that it was a dinky little electric car thingy which took a real battering, much to my satisfaction.
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    Veronese68 wrote:
    I also hope she stopped and did the decent thing.

offered him a reach around?

get well soon buddy!
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • JamesB5446 wrote:
    I was riding home. Going straight ahead at a roundabout. She came from my left and hit me.
    It was the Dutchie, not the Cinelli so all is not lost. Although the bike was pretty knacked. Given the weight of it I'm surprised her car wasn't a write off. ;)

So she hit the Dutchie from the left hand side? hit the Dutchie from the left hand side?

Did she make you jump and prance?
  • :D Where I got the bike from - http://www.eastcoastbicycles.co.uk/Dutchie.html - turn your speakers up.

Got her details. She admitted full responsibility. Police are sending her on a driver awareness course so hopefully she will be a safer driver after this.

I bullseyed her windscreen but can't work out which bit of me did it, head feels fine. I think it might have been my elbow as I possibly lifted my arm up like you would blocking a right hook or head kick. Either way, I'm harder than a Chyrsler Grand Voyager so don't step to me bro.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Nice effort on the car....

Glad you're OK.

Get some cleats and lurn to lift as well as push and your socks will shave those feet/toes for you......
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • I've got Sidi shoes and Look Keos on my road bike.

And I lift, bro.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,336
    Ouch. Glad there's nothing too serious, and she's not trying to wriggle out of it. Not giving way at roundabouts seems to be endemic at the moment.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • peat
    peat Posts: 1,242
    JamesB5446 wrote:
    I was riding home. Going straight ahead at a roundabout. She came from my left and hit me.

So she hit the Dutchie from the left hand side? hit the Dutchie from the left hand side?

*gentle swell of applause*
  • Greg T
    Greg T Posts: 3,266

On my feet . . Best Post Ever
    Fixed gear for wet weather / hairy roadie for posing in the sun.

What would Thora Hurd do?
  • Just taken a few pics of the bike.

Frame is ever so slightly bent.
    305529_10152269808370451_2014649388_n.jpg

63175_10152269809220451_157624037_n.jpg

390109_10152269809275451_917857184_n.jpg
  • spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    shit mate, glad you're not too bad. have you got her details?
  • Yup. Just about to ring the insurance.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,336
    I viewed those pics from bottom to top, thinking, "Oh, that's not too bad, just a new crank....oh...no, that is properly bent." Looks like you did well to escape with just some bruises and scrapes.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,632
    Wow, yeah your survival is quite impressive having seen the bike! Well done!
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • Yeah, could have been a lot worse.

My knee looks a bit gross today.
    316677_10152269934115451_616804582_n.jpg
  • davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    As well as a new bike, can I recommend some new shorts, preferably ones without holes? (That which has been seen....)

Bad luck dude, glad you're ok
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • They're pyjamas, and don't worry, that was just leg, baws were well tucked away.
  • PBo
    PBo Posts: 2,493
    I'm originally from cleethorpes - which roundabout? Never really had any close shaves whilst I was there...
  • PBo
    PBo Posts: 2,493
    JamesB5446 wrote:

Biddlybiddlybiddlybiddlybiddly bong
    ABiddlybiddlybiddlybiddlybiddly bong
  • PBo wrote:
    I'm originally from cleethorpes - which roundabout? Never really had any close shaves whilst I was there...
    Country Park roundabout in Humberston.