Deore M596 rotor compatability

DanG87
DanG87 Posts: 105
edited November 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi
I have a set of avid elixir 3's which i'm not too pleased with, mainly due to lack of pad clearance that requires me to align the caliper every time i remove and refit the wheels.
Thinking of getting rid of them and getting some of the new Deore m596 brakes which seem quite well priced.
I have a spare new pair of XT RT79 rotors (long arm alloy spider but non-ice tech), just wondering if anyone knows whether the alloy spider will foul the caliper, as the caliper seems to be the same as the old 595 caliper.
Also the tech docs for the m596 say to use the SM RT64, which has much smaller 'arms' on the spider.
Any reason not to swap from elixir 3s?

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    you are most likely to have the same issues with the new brakes. use pad spacers then pull the levers a few times before riding and off you go.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • DanG87
    DanG87 Posts: 105
    Why would i have the same problems, thought shimano had larger pad clearance?

cheers
  • omegas
    omegas Posts: 970
    DanG87 wrote:
    Hi
    mainly due to lack of pad clearance that requires me to align the caliper every time i remove and refit the wheels.

You should not need to align the caliper when you refit the wheel ? it can only sit in the dropouts in the same position.

The newer shimano brakes with the servo wave do have more clearance and do work well for stopping that annoying rubbing when it gets muddy.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    DanG87 wrote:
    Why would i have the same problems, thought shimano had larger pad clearance?

cheers
    if you have greater pad clearance you have a lot more lever travel.

Avid are not that close. it all comes down to you and how you set them up.

use pad transport spacers. fit your wheels squeeze the brakes a few times to set the pistons and go ride.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Make sure you put the wheel in carefully when sliding the disc into the caliper between the pads, get all hamfisted and you move the pads out of line and you have to straighten them before the disc will go in and get really ham fisted and you can moving the caliper on the cps washers isn't impossible.

I had Juicys for a couple of years and never had a problem unless the lever was pulled with the wheel out.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • I have had both makes. My last brakes were juicy 7 and they had good stopping power but were noisy and had the same problem when taking off wheels and refitting them.
    I now have m596 and they are very good once they bed in there dead quiet and good stopping power. The shimano ones have much more clearance and once set up you wont need to fiddle :D