A comfy Saddle for mountain biking

bleasy
bleasy Posts: 98
edited November 2012 in MTB buying advice
Hi guys can anyone recommend a good sadle for my mountain bike the ragley one on it i have found very uncomfy today round gisburn forest

Comments

• oxocube1
    oxocube1 Posts: 651
    I don't really know of many MTB saddles that are comfy and don't ruin the look of the bike with huge gel like padding! To be honest my best advice is to just ride your current saddle for a couple of weeks. It will hurt to begin with but your arse will get used to it after a few rides.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    MTFU I'm afraid, ride it and harden up.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,217
    Saddles are a very personal thing. You need to keep trying different ones until you find what suits you.

What specific problems do you have with your current one? Chafing? Aches? Position?

If you know exactly what the problem is you can then start to look for something that will be an improvement e.g. chafes less than the Ragley. A LBS might also be able to lend you a saddle to try out, or you might find a 'demo day' type event where you can try different saddles.

This thread might be useful:
    viewtopic.php?f=40081&t=12715506

Also big fat gelled up saddles that look comfortable may not be - The comfiest saddle I own is the narrow one on my road bike.
  • Start with the cheapest and get a charge spoon! It seems that most arses enjoy them.
    Many will recommend getting fitted and going for the Specialized BG range. Some love em and some, like me found them terrible, even after a proper fit.
    Many , including myself, love the SDG bel air.
  • ive both the sdg bel air and the charge spoon, the spoon is vry comfy and swapped the bel air back for the spoon, both are great saddles but i found the sdg a bit more painfull on longer rides, seemed to feel like was trying to split my pelvis lol! but as has been mentioned, saddles are a very personal thing, i spent a year on a Carbon mould saddle, found it remarkably comfy, yet others couldnt cope with a trip around the car park on it!! see if any of your riding buddies have any different types spare to try??
    Timmo.
    After all, I am Cornish!
    http://cornwallmtb.kk5.org/
    Cotic Soul, The bike of Legends!:wink: Yes, I Am a bike tart!
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... 1#16297481
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    As above Charge Spoon and Bel Air are fairly safe bets but you might not like them.

Be aware that padding is no indication of comfort. I also have a 165g carbon Selle Italia SLR on one bike and it is amazingly comfortable. All the flex is in the base and the rails
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    I swore by the spoon for ages, switched a fizik gobi as the few brief rides I had on them were good, but I've now swapped back to my madison flux (basically the spoon under a different name, and it was free :lol:), which is much better. will probably flog the gobi in the coming weeks and get another one, they are really comfy for most people. Its worth seeing what other people you see out on the trail use. Round my trails at home, its pretty much everyone you see runs a spoon and schwalbe tyres :lol:
  • andymc06
    andymc06 Posts: 245
    Do you wear padded cycling shorts (under baggies). They make a world of difference. Also you will harden up as you ride more and your arse gets used to it! :)
    If at first you don't succeed, spend some more money on kit!

Giant Trance X3 2011
  • as above with the advice. anotherone worth considering (depending on budget) is the fizik gobi. not cheap but personally i've found the comfiest by far. rode on a charges spoon for several years and cand also recomend them
  • go to a good bike shop and get your backside measured they will tell you what size you need then work from that, there is a contraption that measures the distance between your backside bones :D
    anthem x with many upgrades
  • lawman
    sofaboy73 wrote:
    as above with the advice. anotherone worth considering (depending on budget) is the fizik gobi. not cheap but personally i've found the comfiest by far. rode on a charges spoon for several years and cand also recomend them

If any one wants a gobi mine will be for sale shortly, my flux seems much comfier since going back to it
  • Oddly enough I switched from a Spoon to a Ragley. and have now switched back to a spoon and find it MUCH comfier.
  • lawman
    Oddly enough I switched from a Spoon to a Ragley. and have now switched back to a spoon and find it MUCH comfier.

Same with me and the gobi, which initially I thought was comfier than the spoon, but I rode them back to back the other week and the difference in comfort shocked me, the flux (basically the spoon) was much comfier than the gobi, yet costs a third of the price... no brainer, I'll be getting another very soon!
  • bleasy
    bleasy Posts: 98
    cheers guys for all the help, i do wear padded liner shorts