Xmas bike choice

Toe knee
Toe knee Posts: 525
edited November 2012 in Road beginners
http://www.wiggle.co.uk/ridley-orion-1105b-105/
http://www.wiggle.co.uk/mekk-poggio-2g-105/

Some advice on these bikes please, anybody own one , I'm going to order tommorow ! !
Going to ask the wife for an early Xmas present :D

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• I can't compare for you, but I have the Orion in red built up with a Campy groupset. The frame is fantastic, beautifully finished and everyone has commented on how good it looks. It is nice and light, very well finished, and is a nice neutral geometry. The X Small is a 52.5cm frame, and comes up more like a small compared to other bikes I have ridden. I know the one on Wiggle has a 105 groupset, which is obviously a nice spec. I don't think you'd be disappointed with the bike, it is fantastic value at Wiggle at the mo, and I doubt they will have any left very soon. Definitely a thumbs up from me.
    Ridley Orion
  • elderone
    elderone Posts: 1,410
    No experiance of either but id go for the second one seems a cracking buy.As others have told me either way make the one you choose the one that fits best and will do what you want from your bike.
    good luck and report back when you,ve picked.
    Dulce et decorum est Pro patria mori
  • I should also point out that the Ridley has a full 105 groupset, whereas the Mekk has a mix of Tiagra and 105, so personally I'd say the Ridley is better value.
    Ridley Orion
  • hipshot
    hipshot Posts: 371
    Let us know which one you go for and I'll keep an eye out for it :D
  • Toe knee
    Toe knee Posts: 525
    Will keep you informed , I'm so confused now seen a moda and a Scott I like as well now, how are you supposed to make a decision with all these beautiful bikes in this price range,I just thought about the mekk carbon to save me upgrading after so long , and making it last a good few years, as I have just said the choice is so immense and bewildering add to that the worry of making the wrong choice , oh well that's my problem , it's not as if I'm a young fit racing cyclist,I'm 47 used to ride a claud butler echelon for the last 8 months, and now I'm considering these great bikes ,when a £500-£600 bike would probrably suffice, Hey what the hell I work hard and why not have a nice bike to ride.

Ohh eck , sorry for the little rant ,but when you are a newbie - ish you require as much help as you can get. :D 8)
  • nochekmate
    nochekmate Posts: 3,460
    If the Ridleys left at Wiggle are your size then just hit the button. Underrated brand and tremendous value - just built up a Ridley Damocles myself - terrific.
  • unixnerd
    unixnerd Posts: 2,864
    My LBS is a Ridley dealer and they seem very nice bikes. My nephew bought an Eos with Tiagra and loves it, lots of nice little details. I'd not expect the wheels on either bike to win any prizes but Orion is a frame you can upgrade and enjoy.

PS: Company was called Ridley because they liked Ridley Scott's films!
    http://www.strathspey.co.uk - Quality Binoculars at a Sensible Price.
    Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert 2012, Cannondale CAAD5,
    Marin Mount Vision (1997), Edinburgh Country tourer, 3 cats!
  • ilm_zero7
    ilm_zero7 Posts: 2,213
    nochekmate wrote:
    If the Ridleys left at Wiggle are your size then just hit the button. Underrated brand and tremendous value - just built up a Ridley Damocles myself - terrific.

+1
    http://veloviewer.com/SigImage.php?a=3370a&r=3&c=5&u=M&g=p&f=abcdefghij&z=a.png
    Wiliers: Cento Uno/Superleggera R and Zero 7. Bianchi Infinito CV and Oltre XR2
  • My experience is that the Mekk weighs and absolute ton. Not quite sure how they managed to make a Carbon bike that weighs so much.

For good value bikes try Ribble. Bought one 4 months ago, and couldn't be more pleased.
  • Now,I'm no expert,but I test rode a mekk earlier this year and thought it was a very nice bike,and I certainly wouldn't say it weighed a ton.
    But I will admit I didn't buy it 8) but that was only because something else took my eye,and when I say took my eye ,it was purely that, the bike I bought didn't feel any better than the mekk, I just preferred the look of it.
  • Fr Howie wrote:
    My experience is that the Mekk weighs and absolute ton. Not quite sure how they managed to make a Carbon bike that weighs so much.

For good value bikes try Ribble. Bought one 4 months ago, and couldn't be more pleased.

Both the MEKK, and Ridley frames come in at around 1150 grams, so not sure that either could be described as a "ton".
    I doubt that the built weights are much different either.
    Ridley Orion