Minorish problemos

GSJ
GSJ Posts: 150
edited November 2012 in Road beginners
Ooookay, so.. as I'm cycling my front brake keeps rubbing against the rim! even though I aggust it about 6 times! during a 6 mile ride very very annoying. Please someone tell me how I can get rid of this problem?
One more thing, I've put a mudguard on the back wheel but that also keeps rubbing against the tyre when i go over something bumpy or just sometimes feels like rubbing against it, any fixes? or am I ****** as I've tied them down?
Many thanks as always

Comments

• woodywmb
    woodywmb Posts: 669
    Read up on altering both items in a bike repair manual or on the Park Tools site. Easy to do. The brakes can be adjusted six different ways (cable bolt/barrel adjuster/concave and convex washers x 2/centring screws x 2). The mudguard procedure is trial and error. Moving or bending the support arms is the simplest and often most effective way of adjustment. Post again if you can't get anywhere.
  • GSJ
    The front wheel was slightly loose, I've tightened it up with a spanner (as this was my fixed gear) and loosened the barrel adjuster slightly (not sure if it moved the brake pads though?) So hopefully I won't have this problem tomorrow :P
    Thank you for your help.
  • GSJ
    Still have the brake problem, I can get it rolling without hitting the rim, but it seems when I cycle on bumpy tarmac it moves, also when I apply the brake lever the brake pads don't seem to retract as much as they should, leaving the pads too close to the rim.
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    the rim shouldn't move at all, unless you wheel is out of true
    if its the pads not rretracting / releasing after you've applied the brakes, then either the spring bit in them has gone - which is unlikely but obvious or maybe the cable needs lubing as its sticking when you release the leveer the cable isn't sliding back. It could be the cable running at a wierd angle or it needs lubing - get a bit of light oil down between the inner and outer cable and pump the brakes a bit.
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • GSJ
    I don't think the actual rim is moving, it's either the brake pads OR the whole brake itself. Although I will try and lube the cables and see if that works.
  • woodywmb
    woodywmb Posts: 669
    Either the pivot bolt is too tight and the tensed up spring washers are causing the unit to bind or there is dirt in the cable running to the lever. Loosen off the pivot bolt between the head tube and the top of the fork and clean and lube all the moving parts. Tighten it up without too much pressure and test. Undo the cable bolt and slide off the outer cable. Clean the inner thoroughly then cover it in grease or thick oil and replace. If the brakes don't work perfectly you haven't carried out the centring techniques I explained earlier.