10 speed chain compatablity with 9 speed Shimano crankset

M Velo
M Velo Posts: 79
edited November 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi,

I am planning to convert my 2011 Trek 6000 into 10 speed in the near future. So, I am planning to buy a Shimano XTR M 970 Triple crankset (9 speed), so I would like to know that will I be able to run a 10 speed chain comfortably on it?

Don't want to buy the new Shimano XTR M980 10 speed Triple crankset since it doesn't has a 44teeth option.
Custom build Trek MTB
Madone 6.9 => Madone 7series

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    see the FAQ on this but yes it will work.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • M Velo
    Shimano says that a 10 speed chain should only be run by 10 speed crankset. But I feel that there should not be a problem running a 10 speed chain on it but I was still quite doubt full about it.
    Custom build Trek MTB
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    It will be fine.

Not sure I'd put a chainset on that's worth 50% the value of the bike! Get an SLX chainset and put the rest towards some nicer wheels or fork or sommat that will actually improve the ride.
  • M Velo
    The XTR M970 is right now on sale, so it look like a good deal to me at the moment. Will also be building a wheel and changing rest of the things slowly.

Thanks guys for your knowledge regarding the compatibility issue of the crankset.
    Custom build Trek MTB
  • 02gf74
    02gf74 Posts: 1,171
    yes it works fine; I run KMC 10 speed on shimano, FSA and Truvativ 3 ring 9 speed chainset and 9 speed cassettes without any problems.
  • 02gf74
    02gf74 Posts: 1,171
    yes it works fine; I run KMC 10 speed on shimano, FSA and Truvativ 3 ring 9 speed chainset and 9 speed cassettes without any problems.
  • 02GF74 wrote:

Are you saying you run a 10 speed chain on an otherwise complete 9 speed setup, If so, why?
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Some claim the more flexible 10 speed chain is less of an issue with cross chaining on chainwheels which can give you scope to run wider band front setups as it allows more flexible to shift at the rear when a slower shift at the front may notbe as practical.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • 02GF74 wrote:

Are you saying you run a 10 speed chain on an otherwise complete 9 speed setup, If so, why?

Because they can...

No, that's not the real answer.

The pitch is the same for 9-spd vs 10-spd, therefore, only the width (discounting material and finish) are different.

Ten speed chains are thinner, so are lighter for the same number of links.

If you get slight cage rub with a 9-spd setup then switching to a 10-spd chain will eliminate it.

Why? Weight weenie reasons and/or a quick fix for front derailleur cage rub.