Junction (hive mind query)

memsley89
memsley89 Posts: 247
edited November 2012 in Commuting chat
I've been thinking about this junction for the past few months, generally the lights are green and I cycle through, cross the red mixed zone after and join the seafront cycle lane... I've been under the assumption that as the white line crosses the cycle lane, on a RED light, I should stop. However, it's a really long cycle (turning lanes, opposite lane and crossing lane) is it really wrong to hop the curb onto the MIXED pavement [assuming no peds or cyclists] and continue on my merry way?
Before anyone pulls the patience card, this is 1mile into a 5mile strava segment :wink:

Comments

• veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,767
    memsley89 wrote:
    I've been thinking about this junction for the past few months, generally the lights are green and I cycle through, cross the red mixed zone after and join the seafront cycle lane... I've been under the assumption that as the white line crosses the cycle lane, on a RED light, I should stop. However, it's a really long cycle (turning lanes, opposite lane and crossing lane) is it really wrong to hop the curb onto the MIXED pavement [assuming no peds or cyclists] and continue on my merry way?
    Before anyone pulls the patience card, this is 1mile into a 5mile strava segment :wink:
    You should stop if you're on the green cycle lane in the road, but if you do decide to hop onto the shared use path I don't think there is any law saying you can't.
    Except for Sod's Law. Just make sure you clear the kerb and you don't do a faceplant into that nice low wall that's lying there like a baited trap.
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    Looking at the layout you're passing through the lights and immediately forking left I assume, I'd have thought it would be virtually imposibbe for either you to be impeeding any other traffic or be a risk of being hit by them, so whilst probably illegal I'd be tempted to check no peds using he crossing or other cyclists and be aware of anything coimng out of the road to your right but just pop on through on the road and onto the cycle path.
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem