Who does their own fireworks?

Kieran_Burns
Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
edited November 2012 in Commuting chat
We had our fireworks party on Saturday night (quite a few others going off at the same time) and for a change we had no near-death incidents. :lol:

A couple of near misses but nothing like the previous years excitement (the 6" mortar going off 3' behind me was memorable. Oh wait that was the year before. Last year was the Year of the Frog)

In fact this year we were actually actively safe.

We had a health and safety talk: "If a rocket falls over, turn your back and duck"
We had better tapers (they worked)
We even remembered to fold OUT the 10 second fuses so that they were 10 seconds and not 5. Ever lit an 80 shot barrage while a 120 shot one goes off 5' behind you? No? I won't recommend it.
We did a proper display bit as well. Although I think duck-taping a bunch of sprays to the back of a bench might be stretching the term "display"

Our crowning moment :P was using an electronic ignition system for the first time, and I can't recommend one of these enough.

It's simply an IR remote that pulses a current down a wire that melts an exposed section that is connected to the firework fuse.

It worked a charm and we had a 3 multi-shot barrages and small cake all going off in perfect sync as we were able to watch them working through and knew when to hit the fire button for the next one. All from a safe distance.

Slightly disappointed we didn't have a bonfire, as chucking the spent fireworks on one is a great way of finding out just how spent they really aren't 8) (we did this a couple of years ago in error - the fire was still smouldering the next morning and we hadn't realised just how many charges hadn't gone off. I can run fast.
Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
2011 Trek Madone 4.5
2012 Felt F65X
Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter

Comments

• rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,336
    Just a did a small thing for the littl'uns (1 and 3yo), so not too big and not too loud. They seemed happy with my efforts.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    Last year I had parents sheltering kids behing them and retreating for the patio doors as my 85 shot barrage was richocheting off the tree above it back towards the viewing area.

just a few rockets this year. I can confrm rockets without a full stalk / stick don't fly very well. I had a couple that we snapped off half way up, they hoy accross teh garden and buzzed around in a bush before exploding. fortunately I had directed them away from us. The kids liked them better than the undamaged ones.
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    Just a few cheapy rockets for us, also only had a 1 and a 3 year old to impress so more than adequate. Watched the big firework display in the park on Saturday night for "proper" stuff.
  • vermin
    vermin Posts: 1,739
    The Brockwell Park display was very good, but why subject us to Rihanna and One Direction? What's wrong with the 1812?
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    We do, usually all of us meet up at the farm for big gathering & a load of fireworks + a fire but this year for no reason we didn't, so we had a box of supermarket fireworks + some left over from last time there was a need for them, on our back lawn. They were a bit of a disappointment tbh except for the rockets and a couple that had a bit more ooomph about them, but the boys enjoyed them and as they're getting a bit older I can stand back and let them do the lighting themselves. It's more fun watching a teenager being oh-so-casual but still scarpering when a fuse goes a bit more than he expects, and the other one still has his cautious bones in place and is an exercise in torch holding + concentration.

Next door let off the world's loudest rocket whilst I was crouched over a drain (I just was...) with my back to their place. Nearly had to call assistance it was that loud. :wink:
  • I think we spent north of £300 this year.

A couple of years back I went a bit nuts and paid over £100 for one firework.

Worth it though, the damn thing went on for AGES and there were sprays, whizzes, barrages, arc and all sorts.

We actually had time to watch it, normally (there are 3 of us doing the actual work) are 'co-ordinating' the choosing, placing and lighting. Or grabbing, throwing and ducking as it often turns into.
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    I think we spent north of £300 this year.
    Strewth. That's a rear mech with Di2 stamped on it up in smoke. Call yourself a cyclist man?
  • Nah, we just go to the organised displays. To be honest they're much better than doing your own - no waiting for ages between each one and much better quality fireworks too.

Our old greyhound used to turn into Mr. Jelly at the first hint of fireworks, too, so the fewer going off all-around the better from that point of view.
  • We've got quite good now and use multi-shot cakes to give us time launch other stuff. Plus we lay everything out while it's light and wrap it all up in plastic bags

We really don't have any gaps - and get compliments from the audience. We actually got TEENAGERS saying it was great this year.
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • nich
    nich Posts: 888
    Nah, live on me own in a little flat so no home fireworks.

I don't usually go out to them either, but this year (yesterday) went to Blackheath fireworks display.

Awesome stuff - really good atmosphere all around, lasted quite a while, big bangs, and it was free :)

I'll be going again next year if it's on :)
  • I was a guest at a party in Wandsworth on Saturday....host had paid gazillions for a massive firework display. He forgot about it.....so he lit it at 3am. Ouch. Much grovelling to neighbours on Sunday morning I'm told. It was rather impressive though.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Just off to get some! 1605 shot barrage!
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    Being northern we throw lit matches around an pretend they are fireworks...
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • mudcow007 wrote:

I thought you set fire to cars and rolled tyres?
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,767
    A friend of mine used to host a bash every year. He works in event management and all these marketing types would turn up trying to outdo each other with bigger and bigger fireworks. Problem is he only had a tiny garden so we would be stood about 5 metres away form full on display type fireworks. Usually it was fine, only the occasional misfire. One year my wifes hair caught fire after a rocket bounced off the house, hit her on the back then ricocheted off. Thankfully nobody was hurt, I'll never know how.
    We're older and wiser now. Well, a bit.
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 wrote:

I thought you set fire to cars and rolled tyres?

oh no that's only really special occasions like on Mizzy night (mischief night)
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    Yep we do a huge bonfire BBQ and fireworks display at the farm house every year, only about 60 peeps this year but I did manage to almost kill one person not with a firework no no with my death chilli sauce :twisted:
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • It took me a long while to get over the fact that I could legally buy fireworks and set them off in my own garden without getting in trouble. I think I'm finally over it this year (having just turned 43).

Had a bit of a fire and let a few off tonight. Nothing expensive (times is 'ard). Wasn't even drunk.
  • Done it last year but one fell over after I lit it...it aimed itself at the patio doors which were open about a foot, with friends and family standing inside. The firework went straight through the gap and set the lining alight on my partners friends new jacket (she got it the day before for her birthday). It ruined her jacket (£150) and also marked our wooden floor.

We went to an organised display this year.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Also have some ourself, local organised display was shut down after a few minor misshaps and then last year a mortar went into (as in inside) the burger van.

When I read the title I though KB meant literally making your own fireworks which takes me back to my antics as a teen when I did just that.....
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • mudcow007

When I read the title I though KB meant literally making your own fireworks which takes me back to my antics as a teen when I did just that.....

i remember disassembling rockets an sparklers, mixing it all together an putting it in milk bottles when i was a wee nipper

lost my eye brows a few times when something hadn't lit an i went back to check

boom :shock:
  • our street does a fireworks display, which we went to on Saturday and got merry!

And on Monday had a few wee ones plus sparklers in our rather wee garden, some times go to my folks place which has space for some biggish ones which is fun for big rockets etc.
  • Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    I managed to get out of work early enough to take the kids to the local organised display, which was ace. My eldest was even moved to tears by the combination of fireworks and Disney music.

The best display I've ever been to was at a pub in Norwich. I think the landlord was drunk, either that or he hated his regulars as most of the display, in a small, flagstone beer garden, was aimed at the crowd or the pub itself. He'd spent a bit of money too, as he had plenty of ammunition to fire at us. Ah, the things you think are fun when you're in your early twenties...
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.
  • gbsahne001
    gbsahne001 Posts: 1,973
    go to Amsterdam on new Years Eve if you want to see impromptu firework displays..... it was like Omaha beach on D-day (well almost) last time I was there
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    gbsahne wrote:
    go to Amsterdam on new Years Eve if you want to see impromptu firework displays..... it was like Omaha beach on D-day (well almost) last time I was there

The whole of the Netherlands is like that.

I stayed with a half Chinese family for the 2000 NY.

Suffice to say ,they'd gone to Belgium (which has/had virtually no firework restrictions) to stock up....

I've lept over many a rocket and knocked a few that were flying for my head.

For those who don't know, pretty much the whole of the Netherlands goes out on the street at 12 and sets off their fireworks together. It's pretty full on.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Valencia is pretty crazy. Head out in March for Las Fallas.....
  • Munich at NYE was fun, huge crowds of people setting off fireworks by (and indeed at) the 17th century rathaus and at each other. Rockets bouncing off buildings into crowds and exploding, all sorts. Never seen anything like it and no way we'd get away with it over here. Also saw a bloke pull out what I can only assume was a starter pistol and fire it into the air several times. Mental.
    Ribble Audax - FCN 5
    Dedacciai Pista - FCN 3