Tyres Unravelling

Dog Breath
Dog Breath Posts: 314
edited November 2012 in Commuting chat
Bought some Schwalbe Durano Plus tyres for the Mrs earlier in the year, but I have found that strands of tyre thread keep unravelling from the tyre. This comes from the tyre about 1-2mm above the rim.

I will find anything up to 12 inches of tyre thread hanging off the tyre which I trim off. Next time I prep the bikes, I have to unravel anything up to 2 foot wound round the wheel axles (this has obviously come off during the ride), and trim lengths off the tyres. This is happening on both tyres.

Anyone else have this issue ? They seem faulty and I'm concerned the more thread that comes off, the weaker the sidewall of the tyre will be, with the potential for disaster.

I should send them back (CRC) but I'm concerned that it maybe too late as they've been on the bike since February, but haven't done a lot of miles.

DB
Planet-X SL Pro Carbon.
Tifosi CK3 Winter Bike
Planet X London Road Disc
Planet X RT80 Elite

Comments

• pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,632
    Do your brake blocks rub at all on the tyre?
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • No, the brakes are fine.
    Planet-X SL Pro Carbon.
    Tifosi CK3 Winter Bike
    Planet X RT80 Elite
  • Hi,
    Might be worth dropping a note to CRC and see what reaction you get
    2010 Trek Madonne 4.7
    2011 Bmc Promachine SLC01
    2013 Wilier Cento 1SR
  • ads2k
    ads2k Posts: 135
    They had a problem with the manufacturing of some batches. If you drop Schwalbe a line they should replace them for you. My mate has done this after we spoke to them @ the Bike Show.

The guy did say that they have no impact on the tyre itself, and to just cut the threads off when you spot them. Drop them a line and see if they have changed their mind...
  • jejv
    jejv Posts: 566
    Does the thread look like it's running parallel to the tyre ?

If so, it's probably non-structural cotton in the outer layer of rubber round the bead, and is nothing to worry about. - I think it's there to protect the bead when the tyre is put on/taken off. Schwalbe should have a straight answer.

This question does come up from time to time, but I can't quickly find other similar questions.

The structural threads of the tyre would be at an angle to the tyre - bias ply tyre.
  • Yes, it does peel away parallel to the tyre. If I pull one of the threads it comes easily away around the circumference of the tyre.
    Planet-X SL Pro Carbon.
    Tifosi CK3 Winter Bike
    Planet X RT80 Elite