Just lean on it . . .

Greg T
Greg T Posts: 3,266
edited November 2012 in Commuting chat
So then . . .

I have an old Holdsworth nice project bike...

It runs and old suntour superbe derailler on the back with a six speed cassette.. It's geared quite low so I do spend time in top / top...

However... because it's just friction shifters on the down tube - it does chatter a bit going in and then will drop off . . very annoying . .

So all the rain on Sunday had me standing in the shed, Holdsworth on the stand, me spanner in hand looking at it . . . AHA! Something occured to me . . . The spindles on the new Bottom Bracket are quite long . . . they could be throwing out the chainrings and as such the "chain line at a jaunty angle" effect could be buggering up my top/top alignment . .

Looking at the front mech also - the throw on the arm was at its full extent - the rings are defo miles outboard of bike . .

So up to LBS with my bike and idea, back home with two - TWO BBs of different spindle lengths . .

Now then.... Removal of cranks AND BB will almost defo lead to . .

1. Trying to remove crank bolt the wrong way and seize it/snap off the head / loose grip and skin knuckles on pedal / pull it off stand and puncture lung . .

2. Trying the remove BB will require overtightening / failing / being blinded almost anything you can thing of . . .

But no . . Cranks popped off (I EVEN remembered to remove the crank bolt this time before using the extractor tool)

AND

Out comes the BB with almost no - which way does this undo . . .

Now then new BB - sealed unit, 113 mm, going to mess this up for sure - the universe is playing me . . But in it goes, spacer on teh other side slides in, pinch it up . . looks good . . . cranks on, nip them in - not much space inboard of chainstays . . on goes the chain . . . Too tight to the limit of inward movement of front mech . . . Don't panic . .

Off comes the chain (which I hadn't lost the power link for)

Get the longer BB, present it to the thread . . . bit tight . . out it comes, try again . . . .bit tight . . . try the other side, better better - bit tight . .

Now I am challenged , , , if this goes in I have set out to fettle my bike and actually completed the task intra day - this would be a first . .

But it is tight - I f I just give it some leverage I'm sure it would go in - I'LL JUST LEAN ON IT.....

But no brothers . . . I decided that I would not do this - I decided that I'm going to wait to get a properly threaded BB that will slide in like an oyster through a teflon elephant funnel..... i will not force it . .

I have achieved inner enlightenment..... Who would have thought it . . .
Fixed gear for wet weather / hairy roadie for posing in the sun.

What would Thora Hurd do?

Comments

• rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,336
    This post makes me very happy, not least because of the last but one line.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • DrLex
    DrLex Posts: 2,142
    [...] slide in like an oyster through a teflon elephant funnel..... i will not force it . .

Marvellous imagery - would read again. Thinking either "that's just what she said" or "I think I have a Tenniel etching of that".
  • fossyant
    fossyant Posts: 2,549
    So you havent fitted it ? Fail ! :lol:
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,767
    fossyant wrote:
    So you havent fitted it ? Fail ! :lol:
    He can't. He's cross threaded the 2nd BB trying to get it in and the frame is now FUBAR.
  • Greg T
    Veronese68 wrote:
    He can't. He's cross threaded the 2nd BB trying to get it in and the frame is now FUBAR.

Not at all . . .

My patience will be well rewarded . . .

Enlightenment brings it's own rewards. I may go home and light a joss stick

• EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    Greg T wrote:
    Now I am challenged , , , if this goes in I have set out to fettle my bike and actually completed the task intra day - this would be a first . .
    But you didn't, so
    50.jpg
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • Greg T
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    But you didn't, so

I smile benignly...

The old me would have got a 3 foot long torque extender and screwed it in . .

Instead I accepted the "no simple bike job can be completed in less than two goes" mantra and did not try . . . . .

I'm drinking tetley without milk from the smallest mug I have thinking deep thoughts.

• EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    Greg T wrote:
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    But you didn't, so

I smile benignly...

The old me would have got a 3 foot long torque extender and screwed it in . .

Instead I accepted the "no simple bike job can be completed in less than two goes" mantra and did not try . . . . .

I'm drinking tetley without milk from the smallest mug I have thinking deep thoughts.

Well, I suppose not making the problem worse is progress of sorts.
    I take back my fail post and replace it with this.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!