The Science of a bike fit

Scottyjv
Scottyjv Posts: 12
edited November 2012 in Road beginners
Morning all,

was keen to get peoples opinion on the output of bike fitting - i know it is a common topic BUT I am a bit backwards in that I prefer riding in an aero position than a more traditionally accepted position.

First let me explain why I ask...

I am just shy of 193cm tall, I have two bikes an entry level road bike which is 2-3years old loosely custom fit in Evans in an XL frame size on a GT bike and a midlife crisis TT bike with all the trimings more rigorously bike fitted in a 54cm frame on the very limit of being ridable by someone of my size but the aero position I was told was about as good as it gets

I am pretty flexible, fit and still youngish 27 - the TT bike has become my pride and joy, i can ride it comfortabley for multiple hours without any aches or twinges, seem to be able to dance up the small hills that my cycling friends stall a little on it despite fully appreciating it isnt built for it and even if going for a longer ride will take the TT bike.

I have signed up to do the Dragon ride as previously posted on this site - this will be my first jaunt into the world of cycling and real climbing and all the kind advice and support recieved has been to get out more on a road bike which I have willfull accepted is required.

With this in mind and Christmas around the corner I am looking at a new road bike...when i sit on my current road bike it feels like i ride very tall and that my arms feel too straight really reaching for the drops...with the TT bike I feel a lot more on top of the bike but this feels comfortable. Which leads me to think that i would want a samller frame then maybe the text book suggests I should...

Not being an expert - is it common for people to not conform to the norm, would my "comfort" disadvantage other specifics like power, climbing, speed and is more just an illusion that I am so used to riding in this style?

ultimately will bike fitting adminstrated properly give you an output of a bike set up in the best position for just one factor such as comfort, speed, power, handling or injury prevention etc or does it give you a mixture of all or many?

While i fully admit my last bike purchase was a yuppy mid-twenties crisis all the gear no idea purchase (that luckily has come good!) I am adamant that I want to ensure the next purchase is well thought out and worth every penny from day one.

Would really appreciate any input from those willing to give me their stories or advice?

cheers

Comments

• Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    So are you saying that you've never done any proper climbing on a road bike and your experience is limited to TT courses with undulations?

I can tell you that there is absolutely no point in trying to bring your TT position across to a road fit, it won't work. Even XL on most GTs sport quite compact sizing on both the seat tube and top tube, and having it "fitted" at Evans doesn't fill me with confidence that it's right for you.

My advice would be to get a proper bike fit and concentrate your search on bikes with racier geometries as you'll probably be more comfortable on them coming from a TT background.

Get a bit of climbing experience under your belt and you'll be fine. None of the climbs on the Dragon Ride are that difficult anyway.
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • Thanks for the reply - yep correct. Zero climbing experience...my usual training rides are 50-110km with a total elevation of 250-600m through the berkshire backroads.

Looking at heading out to explore the Chilterns more locally and then hoping to get out for a weekend or week in Wales and or Mallorca as per some advice from guys on the board here.

Thanks for the tips -
  • Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    My local 10 has that much climbing!

I say none of the climbs are difficult, but I should also note that I've done them all as they're in my backyard and it's rare that I go for a ride without at least 2 categorized climbs and 1000m of vertical. It's going to take more than a week to build up proper climbing technique and endurance...
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg