Chain slip or so i think?

Dannyboy95
Dannyboy95 Posts: 245
edited November 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
So I went out riding yesterday with friends and I absolutely hammered my bike and I mean I thrashed it. Anyway so Im riding along and its a bit of an intermittent issue when I change into 9th gear sometimes when I am putting a lot of pressure on the pedals they will spin, just a little though and then catch the chain and proceed as normal and then it will happen again. When Im in lower gears this hasn't happened but when Im in top end it happens I just wondering has anyone experienced this if so what is the issue?
cosna kick a bo agen a wo and ed it back till it bos-UP HANLEY ME DUCK

NO STAIRWAY....DENIED!

D.Leyland
Current Bike-TREK 4500
Previous Bikes
:Giant Roam 3
:Bianchi Nirone 7

Comments

• scottfitz wrote:
    Oh don't say that ahahah haven't got the finds to replace a free hub lol

NO STAIRWAY....DENIED!

D.Leyland
    Current Bike-TREK 4500
    Previous Bikes
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Could it be briefly shifting into 8th and back? If so simple indexing or cable issue.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Dirtydog11
    Dirtydog11 Posts: 1,621
    Also check the high gear stop is correctly adjusted and that the chain/rear mech is running centrally over the ninth sprocket (best done from behind with bike upside down)

Cassette lockring tight?
  • Ill try all your suggestions thanks.

NO STAIRWAY....DENIED!

D.Leyland
    Current Bike-TREK 4500
    Previous Bikes
  • jimothy78
    jimothy78 Posts: 1,407
    I had this problem, and it was down to sprocket wear. Check front and rear cogs if you can't sort it out by tinkering with the indexing.
  • if you run the predals in reverse does the chain catch? again, could be freehub.
  • I assume you haven't replaced the chain, as a new chain on an old cassette will often do that. If the cassette has worn so much that it won't hold the chain that is matched to it then you should be able to see that the teeth are worn. How do they look?
  • FunBus
    FunBus Posts: 394
    I'm guessing it's just a set-up issue - the chain's trying to jump into 8th or off the bottom. Adjust, including limit screw and hopefully you'll be back on track
  • miss notax
    miss notax Posts: 2,572
    sm1thson wrote:
    I assume you haven't replaced the chain, as a new chain on an old cassette will often do that. If the cassette has worn so much that it won't hold the chain that is matched to it then you should be able to see that the teeth are worn. How do they look?

This would be my guess too. I replace the whole lot together as it causes no end of trouble otherwise - it all generally wears at the same time anyway.
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the number of moments that take your breath away....

Riding a gorgeous ano orange Turner Burner!

Sponsor the CC2CC at http://www.justgiving.com/cc2cc