Racing and riding in Dorset

stocker
stocker Posts: 25
edited November 2012 in Amateur race
Hi,

I am moving to Bournemouth from Yorkshire this week.

Any locals here with knowledge on decent local clubs? Looking for regular club runs/training if possible. A club which is involved in racing is a plus.

Talk about racing is there much about there, road/closed circuit etc, or am I going to need to drive far to reach anything good?

Cheers
Tom

Comments

• mr_goo
    mr_goo Posts: 3,770
    There are some clubs in Bournemouth (Jubilee) and near by in the New Forest. If you are looking for a regular ride out at weekends then there is a run out in to the New Forest from Waitrose Supermarket, Christchurch every Saturday @ 8am. There are plenty of riders that come in from Bournemouth to do this. A few of this chain gang are members of the
    I - Team. However most just out for group ride with a cuppa at the end in Burley (village in the forest) where quite a few other groups tend to meet up in middle of morning.
    Bournemouth is great location for riding off over to the Isle of Purbeck, which I guess may be more suitable for you as there are some great hills out here and even further out to Portland nr Weymouth which has a CAT 1 hill to the summit.
    Also you can heard north out towards Blandford and Shaftesbury, and again more hills.
    Forest probably bit flatter than you may be used to but it does have it moments.
    Plenty of Sportives in the area. Jurassic Beast, Rattler, Bournemouth Arrow to name a few.
    Enjoy your move down, you will notice the difference in temperature during the winter and will no doubt get more winter rides in down here.
    Always be yourself, unless you can be Aaron Rodgers....Then always be Aaron Rodgers.
  • DavidJB
    DavidJB Posts: 2,019
    Lots of races in Hampshire...Portsmouth, Thruxton, Ludgershall and a fair few road races.
  • Dave_P1
    Dave_P1 Posts: 565
    Finished until next year, but this crit isn't far from Bournemouth

http://www.uk-biking.net/moreton