Re-Annodising aluminium?

gtd.
gtd. Posts: 626
edited November 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
Can alloys be re-annodised?

I have a New Old Stock Centerline Power Post I'm currently modifying to take a Rockshox Pushlock remote instead of the original standard flimsy one that doesn't fit well with my shifters.

The arms of the seatpost are a bright light blue, nice and retro but look out of place on my bike.
$(KGrHqJ,!hoE4!iIGeqbBOQdCge(Ww~~1_3.JPG

I was thinking of stripping it down now I've figured out how it goes together as I had to partially dismantle it to change the cable.
Mountain: Orange Patriot FR, SubZero & Evo2LE.
Road: Tifosi Race Custom.
Do it all bike: Surly Disc Trucker 700c/29er

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    yes but it needs to be totally stripped no other matals can be attached or you will kill the liquids.

so any bushes inserts etc will have to be removed.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • gtd.
    gtd. Posts: 626
    Thanks Nick, By stripped do you mean the previous blue coating or just all the bits removed?

The bushes are just plastic washers and the pivots drift out after removing c clips and grub screws just leaving the alloy arms after removing the catch. Was planning on dismantling them and just sending the arms off if I can find somewhere to get them done.

Just wanted the arms doing, wasn't sure if it was possible.
    Mountain: Orange Patriot FR, SubZero & Evo2LE.
    Road: Tifosi Race Custom.
    Do it all bike: Surly Disc Trucker 700c/29er
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Just the bits need removing, not the anodising AIUI.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Theres a company in Middlesbrough called Cleveland Chroming they do anodising, I'd just head on down with what you have to ask them about what they need stripping etc as they will be the best qualified to say and then you can ask them for a price too. I hear they do a lot of parts for custom Motorbikes etc so they should be set up for doing a one off like that.
  • If you want to strip the anodising soak it in caustic soda an it will return it to silver