Story behind this photo?

frenchfighter
frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
edited November 2012 in Pro race
Anyone know what is going on here?

A battered Garmin rider with a Rabo helemt drinking a beer and being led by a carrot. Not to mention the guy on the right who is basically dropping his kid.

Either a good photoshop or a race in the US.

dad.jpg
Contador is the Greatest

Comments

• alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
    Well he's obviously crashed and I would guess he broke his helmet and the Rabo guys were generous and gave him a spare for whatever reason.. maybe both team cars were up the road?

did a google search by images and can't find the original source though.
  • Anyone know what is going on here?

A battered Garmin rider with a Rabo helemt drinking a beer and being led by a carrot. Not to mention the guy on the right who is basically dropping his kid.

dad.jpg

That's Mr Transitions himself, Tyler Farrar, surely? Maybe the carrot's linked to improving your eyesight :)
  • pat1cp
    pat1cp Posts: 766
    looking at the people at the side of the road it was the other side of the pond too.
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400
    Anyone know what is going on here?

dad.jpg

That's Mr Transitions himself, Tyler Farrar, surely? Maybe the carrot's linked to improving your eyesight :)

That was my thought, Garmin rider, always crashing.

Is that beer or maybe some sort of energy drink?

Maybe the child is napping :wink:
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • Those shorts... the horror.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400
    Those shorts... the horror.

Ha Ha, I hadn't noticed it before but it looks very much like he's wet himself.
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • Guy with the two white paddles has been trying to catch the carrot. The carrot has swung round, knocked the baby off the shoulders of the guy behind. Guy with the paddles has pi$$ed hmself with excitment. Don't know anything about the guy on the bike though.
  • oneof1982 wrote:
    Guy with the two white paddles has been trying to catch the carrot. The carrot has swung round, knocked the baby off the shoulders of the guy behind. Guy with the paddles has pi$$ed hmself with excitment. Don't know anything about the guy on the bike though.

lol. But seriously fancy having to ride past dicks like that after a crash in a race
  • TMR
    TMR Posts: 3,986
    To thin to be Farrar - he has a big fat head.
  • I do remember a whole baby-offering cult at the 2009 Tour of California [or maybe they were dolls, never got to the bottom of it all]. Perhaps casual abuse of your children is the done thing for jocks watching bicycling racers?
  • dsoutar
    dsoutar Posts: 1,746
    Could the drink be Mountain Dew maybe - similar colours
  • It's Alex Howes, 2012 Tour of Utah Stage 5 :D

http://velonews.competitor.com/2012/08/news/wil-matthews-gallery-2012-tour-of-utah-stage-5_234271/attachment/20120811-767b2836

I don't know what is with the carrot however or the what looks like a can of beer or the man with what looks like a chunk missing out of his arm holding the carrot or whether or not the other dude has wet his pants. :roll: :?
    Correlation is not causation.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,550
    Carrot might have been intended for Dave Zabriskie, a la the Contador steak?
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • Cool thanks AtC
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Cool thanks AtC

You're welcome, it was a nice little post-lunch distraction from work.

I'd pretend I knew who it was and where it was taken because I am a) a massive Alex Howes fan or b) an avid follower of the Tour of Utah, but alas no, neither of these are true. To be honest this is the first time either have ever figured on my radar. I found the picture by accident while trying to figure out if it had been photoshopped by trying to date the kit.

I have now ruined all mystique as a cycling genius I may have had. :(

Unfortunately I have nothing to report on the significance, symbolic or otherwise of the carrot, or the fate of the young child.
    Correlation is not causation.
  • Ron Stuart
    Ron Stuart Posts: 1,242
    It's Nit Romney being welcomed by his lice nit supporters in Ohio of course :(
  • hammerite
    hammerite Posts: 3,408
    We had a bunch of Dutch guys near us on AdH who had a chocolate bar dangling from a string and stick to tempt Dutch riders with. Apparently the chocolate bar was advertised like this in the Netherlands.

The chocolate bar was changed for an empty can of Heineken as the grupetto went past.